• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock

Marksman
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    I read somewhere that it was an issue with the lower being able to run full auto with a regular upper? It's still ridiculous.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    Sorry, I'm calling BS and require proof. Unless of course your purple is broken.
    The guns could allegedly be modified to fire live ammunition by removing the upper and pinning a real one on. You know, the way you change uppers on an AR? With two pushpins?

Of course, there's no way a plastic lower would work on an AR!

There's an easy way to test this: Injection mold you an M-16 lower, with the hole for the autosear pin and all, and mail it to the BATFEIEIO and see what they say. (I already know the answer.)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Sorry, I'm calling BS and require proof. Unless of course your purple is broken.

Having concluded that several other airsoft guns could not be converted to fire real ammunition, Gonnuscio said he was surprised to find that he was able to to transform this particular gun to the real thing -- and with “minimal work,” because its bottom half, or “receiver,” is so similar to an AR-15's.
    To make the airsoft receiver function just like an AR-15’s, Gonnuscio said, “All you have to do is drill one hole.”
    And once that's out of the way, the rest is even easier. The AR-15 receiver is the only part of the semi-automatic rifle that is given a serial number, and is the only part that is regulated. All the remaining parts of the real thing can be purchased by anyone – any kid, criminal or terrorist.

EXCLUSIVE: Toy Gun Sold in U.S. Can Easily be Converted to the Real Thing | Fox News

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Huh.

I guess that the Plumcrazy lowers sold by local gun shops, can then be converted to toys then.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Can be converted... by adding the most complex parts of an ar15 to the very simple toy gun lower.

They sure made it sound like that toy rifle, with minor shop skills, could be turned into a firearm.

Sure... if you add the firearm part...

I could "convert" a dart gun into a functioning 1911... If I kept the toy gun grips, and replaced the functional 1911 portion...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Can be converted... by adding the most complex parts of an ar15 to the very simple toy gun lower.

They sure made it sound like that toy rifle, with minor shop skills, could be turned into a firearm.

Sure... if you add the firearm part...

I could "convert" a dart gun into a functioning 1911... If I kept the toy gun grips, and replaced the functional 1911 portion...

Sorry bro, but being able to simply mount an upper receiver on a toy lower, after a drilling a hole and having an operational firearm, is light years away turning a dart gun into a 1911.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t

Except:

1) On an AR, the lower is the firearm, legally speaking. I'm not sure I'd risk carving an AR lower with an autosear hole out of cheese for a State Fair project.

2) Reporters are dumb and their initial description was awkward, yes. But that toy gun could be converted into a real one with NO shop skills. Just push out two pins and place an intertubes order with Double Star and you're good to go as soon as the Big Brown Truck of Happiness shows up.

It doesn't have to make sense to you, it's just the law.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Sorry bro, but being able to simply mount an upper receiver on a toy lower, after a drilling a hole and having an operational firearm, is light years away turning a dart gun into a 1911.

Well on that we can agree, but that comment was mostly aimed at mocking the phrase "convert into a firearm" and the way it is applied in this context.

Most people that are not familiar with building AR-15 pattern rifles could look at this story and take from it the concept that with a bit time in a garage that airsoft could be turned into a functioning firearm.

Which is not the case... you have to add the most complex parts of the firearm - and the lower itself is the simple part.

That is without getting into the logistics and cost involved in actually doing it, and how unrealistic it is to believe that airsoft gun poses a security threat.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    This.

As I heard it, the lowers apparently were essentially plastic M-16 lowers, down to the diameter and location of the pin holes.

Incorrect, the thread title still stands (morons). If you research the specific gun that they seized an AR upper would indeed fit but there are actually no real holes in the receiver (if you wanted to swap out real parts). Everything airsoft is housed in a detacheable trigger pack and the original parts would not set off a round (hammer does not come close to reaching a real firing pin). Also, ATF is stalling regarding a FOIA request sent about how the determination was made that these could indeed fire etc.

Top Bottom