• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    So, some of you think that this going to happen in the U.S.? Perhaps I'm not as enlightened, but I believe I see something very different happening in Egypt. Do you really think the Muslim Brotherhood wants peace and democracy? I don't think so. They want to establish another Islamic Republic(theocracy) like Iran. They are a terrorist group. Hosni Mubarak might be called a dictator for some of his actions, but I believe he understands what he has been fighting against for 30 years. I would much rather see him in charge of Egypt than the alternative.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    So, some of you think that this going to happen in the U.S.? Perhaps I'm not as enlightened, but I believe I see something very different happening in Egypt. Do you really think the Muslim Brotherhood wants peace and democracy? I don't think so. They want to establish another Islamic Republic(theocracy) like Iran. They are a terrorist group. Hosni Mubarak might be called a dictator for some of his actions, but I believe he understands what he has been fighting against for 30 years. I would much rather see him in charge of Egypt than the alternative.

I think the riots demonstrate that quite a large portion of Egypt seems to disagree with Mubarak being in power. I believe in the 2005 election he had 88.6% of the vote, unless the information I am reading is incorrect. Considering he has had landslide support in every election in the last thirty years, something seems critically foul about their elections.

It is true that Mubarak has been the "best choice" for America for some time in most politicians eyes, but first and foremost Egypt should be entitled to choose their leaders. That being said, many protesting in Egypt have openly stated they would not back the Muslim Brotherhood. I think viewing the Muslim Brotherhood as the only alternative is an over simplification of the picture.

If we were really smart, we would have Hilary Clinton issue a statement to all Egyptians, urging them to elect the Muslim Brotherhood. Sell it as a partnership with America, and let their own sentiments compel those who back them to the next guy in line...

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Shining examples of the American spirit.

I wonder if the founding fathers giggled like little schoolgirls at the thought of death and destruction in their homeland.

:rolleyes:

Do you think we should shelter alcoholics or dopers from the consequences of their choices? We have whole classes in this country bringing destruction to this country with their political choices. How long should the producing class have to work to keep them from suffering the consequences of their political and economic choices?

Who is John Galt?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The only reason we haven't seen this in our country is that we deliver enough bread and circuses to keep the masses fat and happy.

When the bread runs out, which it will, things will get ugly in a hurry.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I don't know, food was still pretty cheap in Fort Wayne before I moved back to Ohio in October, when I first moved back my typical grocery bill doubled. Now 4 months later if I was still buying the same foods and same amount it would be tripled. I'm glad I can eat a lot of chef boyardee and it's usually on sale 5 for 13.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Really tough to make those comparisons, Egypt has lots more people at the poverty level than the US does.

Riots in the Cali cities are going to make life tougher in the sticks, taxes to pay for programs and insurance premiums will go up like 69-70.

The only near term result of the Egyptian problem will be a huge increase in foreign aid once a government emerges from the chaos. Watch for Hilly and Obie to squabble for the spotlight and a "camp david" moment.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I don't know, food was still pretty cheap in Fort Wayne before I moved back to Ohio in October, when I first moved back my typical grocery bill doubled. Now 4 months later if I was still buying the same foods and same amount it would be tripled. I'm glad I can eat a lot of chef boyardee and it's usually on sale 5 for 13.

First off, yeah.. I dont believe this one bit, you arent the only one who eats food bro, the rest of us have budgets too, and I feed my family of 4 on 250 a month, which is a VERY small percentage of my income.

Maybe you should stop eating processed crap.

Food has a LONG way to go up before it takes a substantial chunk of the American income.

<Edit: Oh and saying you want to see suffering in the USA is... just plain ignorant. This is why some of us avoid the political forum like the plague, its full of ignorance and people who are just plain dumb as a box of rocks.>

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    By bread I mean government handouts. You know, welfare, unemployment, medicare, medicaid, SCHIP, Section 8, etc etc etc...

When the currency collapses and/or we hit hyperinflation, and all that free "bread" dries up, we'll have millions in the street protesting that they are getting the things they have a "right" to.

Circuses = reality TV, sports, etc.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    When Rome was experiencing large unemployment, they had "circuses" at the colliseum for free, and also handed out bread at the colliseum.

So, the bread and circuses kept the people from protesting and rioting.

At least for a while...

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I was unaware that the cities of Chicago and LA were exclusively alcoholics and dopers. Does John Galt know about this? :rolleyes:

Oh, sorry, I forgot. John Galt is a fictional character in a 1950's book. He can't really know anything, because he's not real.

With Galt as your hero, I'm puzzled as to why you would even participate in this thread. Shouldn't you be sulking in your study, withholding your expertise from all of the evil people who don't think like you? :rolleyes: :):

If you believe that the producer class has a duty or obligation to those in California to pay higher taxes, etc to prevent the inevitable then you advocating their enslavement. I don't wish I'll on the left in this country but why should I be enslaved for their choices? Why should I work longer, harder, and for less money so the federal government can bail them out?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I was unaware that the cities of Chicago and LA were exclusively alcoholics and dopers. Does John Galt know about this? :rolleyes:

Oh, sorry, I forgot. John Galt is a fictional character in a 1950's book. He can't really know anything, because he's not real.

With Galt as your hero, I'm puzzled as to why you would even participate in this thread. Shouldn't you be sulking in your study, withholding your expertise from all of the evil people who don't think like you? :rolleyes: :):

He is very proud of himself for reading that book and wants everyone to know it.

Top Bottom