• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    From Indy's News Center - 93.1 WIBC Indianapolis - Live. Local. First.

Monroe County Bans Smoking in Cars with Children
    By the Associated Press
    3/27/2009

The Monroe County commissioners have approved an expansion of the county's smoking ban to prohibit smoking in vehicles carrying children.

Commissioners voted 2-1 in favor of the ban at a meeting Friday, one day after the county's Board of Health unanimously recommended the move.

The ordinance will carry a fine of $100 for a person caught smoking in a vehicle carrying a child age 13 or younger. Police officers would not be able to stop a car just to enforce the ordinance.

Supporters said it would protect children from second hand smoke. Opponents called it an invasion into people's personal lives.

Health board members say they will ask officials in Bloomington and other Monroe County communities to approve similar measures.

Now I am not a friend of smoking, and I am all for protecting children, but when does a county commission have authority over what I do in my vehicle? I thought laws regarding vehicles would need to be enacted on a state level.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I'm torn on this as to the overstepping bounds of Government. I'm blessed my parents did not smoke. However, Amy's Dad did. She now will have a nose bleed off and on for a day after visiting her dad and being subjected to cigarette smoke. There is very harmful effects for breathing it, especially for developing children.

I guess if the parent is willing to subject their kids to smoke in the vehicle, they will be smoking at home too, so this would not really limit a majority of the smoke they would be exposed to.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    The next step is to ban it in the home. And with that comes the authority to verify at some level (as it is the only way to punish). That means, yes you have it, the gov't gets the right to be in your home.

It's your castle, well unless you have some cigs. If you can't ban them outright, then make it "for the kids" and come in the back door...

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    indyjoe

I grew up in a home with smokers, and our daughter would come home from grandmas smelling of smoke. The best quote I have heard on the whole subject of smoking is;

"If smoking is so bad then ban it."

At least in my opinion there is a difference between regulating an already legal activity, and outright banning the activity. If it is that harmful to children (and I believe so) then just ban the entire activity.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    While smoking in the car with a child is a dumb idea, how do they think they have the right to ban anything that is not good to do? Ok here we go, Monroe County...let's start with some things that your constituents do that we should ban, under this philosophy....

eating anything with fat in it
    too much sugar
    loud music
    loud music in your own headphones
    sleeping with the TV on
    scratching your balls and then biting your nails afterward
    eating boogers
    using kitchen knives for any reason
    being outdoors in a lightning storm
    using matches
    too much time in the sun
    too much time in the dark
    nutrasweet
    hydrogenated vegetable oil

and....anything considered to be even remotely dangerous or fun.

You know, the great unwashed masses are just too ignorant to make any decision other than to breathe without the big, benevolent, caring government to provide guidance.

Go Monroe County!

Feel free to add anything to the list that could possibly be remotely dangerous, or that might have the potential to shorten your life.

God knows we would never want to do anything that might harm or cause discomfort to a child, either. (Except, of course, have an abortion.)

Last edited:

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    While I support protecting children and the rights of non smokers, I feel the government(federal, state, and local levels) all have over stepped there bounds on how they are doing it. IMHO, I don't think Monroe county has any right to enact or enforce this ban.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I can't imagine the PR mess that that is going to cause when they start stopping out-of-county or out-of-state cars passing through with drivers that do not know about the restriction.

If there is anything left of a tourism trade in today's economy and Morgan County was counting on any portion of it, I would say that they have taken a step in the wrong direction, regardless of good intentions.

I'm very glad that I don't live in that county. I can't hardly make a polite response anymore in regards to ANYTHING dealing with the government because it seems that "they" want to regulate in some way everything that I do or don't do.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    This is a tough issue for me. I certainly don't like the government telling me what to do in my own car, house, etc.

But, we're talking about kids here. They don't have a choice. Sadly, there are many horrible parents who don't look out for what's best for their children. Kids are not capable of doing what's best for themselves.

You'd have to be really ignorant to subject your kids to cigarette smoke, but I've seen many parents that do. I've even seen pregnant women smoking. Again, if they want to harm themselves than that's one thing, but kids need protection.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Bigum, I can agree with what you say in principle, but I fear the slippery slope.

Did you see where Chicago is wanting to hook another database to there "red light" cameras that would provide near-instantaneous (2 seconds or less) verification of whether a vehicle has current insurance or not, and the first time you get nabbed with an expiration it is $200 - $300 bucks for the violation.

Keeping people from running red lights is good, requiring valid insurance is good. Actively monitoring by automatic means the people for what they are or are not doing is not good in my opinion.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've seen it, too, and I agree it is dumb and harmful. My only issue is that if the government creates a law for every dumb thing to do, then look out, baby.....here comes BIG government.

I'd rather see people just get on someone's ass who does it, instead of the government jumping in.

Every minute a police officer deals with this is one minute he or she is not dealing with something more important.

Just my humble opinion....from someone who makes a living looking out for what's best for kids. (And, a non-smoker, too)

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    By the way....those red light systems and cameras are from the same people who cry foul when we tap the phones of non-US citizens to prevent terrorism.

Last edited:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Bigum, I can agree with what you say in principle, but I fear the slippery slope.

Did you see where Chicago is wanting to hook another database to there "red light" cameras that would provide near-instantaneous (2 seconds or less) verification of whether a vehicle has current insurance or not, and the first time you get nabbed with an expiration it is $200 - $300 bucks for the violation.

Keeping people from running red lights is good, requiring valid insurance is good. Actively monitoring by automatic means the people for what they are or are not doing is not good in my opinion.

I hear ya. I know it's a slippery slope. I'm very conflicted about this because I've seen so many kids in bad situations. Again, this is a tough issue for me.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    While smoking in the car with a child is a dumb idea, how do they think they have the right to ban anything that is not good to do? Ok here we go, Monroe County...let's start with some things that your constituents do that we should ban, under this philosophy....

loud music

This is the only thing in your list that harms someone other than the user. Smoking DOES harm children when they are around it. However, children are the responsibility of the parents. It is their choice to screw up their lungs and give them asthma.

I don't think it is the government's right to control this. However, it pains me to see biological donors that don't know how to parent. It is way above second hand smoke. That is a minor problem. Legislation will solve NONE of it.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I hear ya. I know it's a slippery slope. I'm very conflicted about this because I've seen so many kids in bad situations. Again, this is a tough issue for me.

I do see where you are coming from. It would suck being strapped in a car seat and smoked like a ham. I just think it would be easier to see people let someone know when they are being stupid.

I rolled down my window a few months ago and told a lady she was making a big mistake letting her kid ride around with no belt or car seat. I was respectful and nice, and she said she'd pull over and buckle him. I don't know if she did, but I'm sure she'd have rather not had someone say something. She probably felt stupid. Who knows, the kid might have unbuckled himself. Funny thing was that she had her own belt fastened.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    This is the only thing in your list that harms someone other than the user. Smoking DOES harm children when they are around it. However, children are the responsibility of the parents. It is their choice to screw up their lungs and give them asthma.

I don't think it is the government's right to control this. However, it pains me to see biological donors that don't know how to parent. It is way above second hand smoke. That is a minor problem. Legislation will solve NONE of it.

True. Unless I shake hands with someone after scratching....

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    This is one of those issues that truly suck for libertarians. I personally hate the smell of cigarette smoke. I also renounce all non-smoking laws that apply to private companies as oppression. I also call out all parents who subject their children to second-hand smoke in enclosed spaces as sorry excuses for caretakers.

That said, I believe that parents must have wide latitude to make decisions that affect their own children. Do I think the government has a legitimate interest in protecting children, even from their parents? Yes. But we must draw a line. I say it's not the government's business. I also then say that it plants a responsibility on the shoulders of we free citizens to call out those parents who endanger their kids in this way as the sorry parents they are.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I think it is great they are finally protecting children from this form of abuse. Hopefully they will next move to prevent these idiots driving around with their music turned up so loud. Can you imagine what that is doing to their ears. While we are on the subject of music think of some of the lyrics these little bundles of joy are forced to listen to. All of those words and images that I won't even repeat on here. And while we are protecting them from that sort of thing, how about the parents themselves and their screaming and yelling and cursing at each other, and how many haven't either been struck by a parent in a car or seen another child struck. I think the damage done from that need to be prevented, don't you. Oh my god... what about the way some of these people drive and the danger that puts the children in. Oh and the dangerous looking vehicles, perhaps we need to bring back vehicle inspections also...

Of course that is just in a car. THink of all the protecting we can do in the home or out in society itself. We have a lot of work to do gentlemen. We need to make this world safe for the children and we can't obviously leave it up to parents. It does take a village, doesn't it?

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    indyjoe

I grew up in a home with smokers, and our daughter would come home from grandmas smelling of smoke. The best quote I have heard on the whole subject of smoking is;

"If smoking is so bad then ban it."

At least in my opinion there is a difference between regulating an already legal activity, and outright banning the activity. If it is that harmful to children (and I believe so) then just ban the entire activity.

they won't ban it because they can use it as an excuse. It will be another excuse to control every little part of our daily lives; another excuse to violate our rights.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    they won't ban it because they can use it as an excuse. It will be another excuse to control every little part of our daily lives; another excuse to violate our rights.

Well that, and they make a LOT of money from taxes on tobacco.

Top Bottom