• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    How many here use moly coated bullets in their rifles?

For this who do, how do you clean them after a trip to the range? Do you buy your bullets already with moly or do you apply it yourself? If yourself, how?

If you don't use moly or don't like it, why not?

I have been looking up all kinds of handloading info all over the place and there seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there on this. I finally got all my stuff together for an upcoming hunt and I want to get started out the right way here.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Highpower rifle community went through a big moly bullet craze for a while. I actually did the three step process and beat the molly on with stainless steel ball bearings in a tumbler drum. Sierra started offering it's popular matchKings in Moly so I quit making my own. Some top shooters claim to stick with moly, but they were top shooters before moly when they shot nekkid bullets also. I was shooting out a barrel a year, and the barrel that only got moly still wore out about the same time as the one before it. I went back to nekkid Serria MatchKings and never felt like I was giving up on anything but extra work, bother and expense. Your mileage may vary.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Many have stopped using moly. It can create a hard ring ahead of the leade that destroys accuracy. Similar to the carbon ring that can build up for the 223, but much harder.

The only way to get it out is with JB bore paste. Ask Lynn Richter about moly sometime. You will get an earful.

I never used it and have shot bare all these years. I didn't want the fine powder in my house.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I use moly exclusively.

Never clean unless accuracy takes a dive, and then I run a little Ed's red through it.

Apply it myself. Dump bullets directly from the box into a glass jar along with 1/4 tsp moly per 1000. Vibe for 10 mins or so, dump into a towel and roll the excess off. Done deal.

There is a lot of wives tales about moly out there. In the 100+ barrels I've run it through it has been well worth the time in every one. You get a slight speed bump overall, and if you hunt in bad conditions it helps bore life.

Top Bottom