• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Very beautiful rifle. I wouldn't be ashamed to own that piece.

Found out the other day, that my father has a German 8mm Mauser (not sure of exactly which model) from WWII that's been sporterized, and was left to me by my deceased grandfather. No idea how it shoots, and have only seen it in pics, but cant wait to get my hands on it.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have picked up and put down many at gun shows. Always liked the looks of them but never seemed to be able to make the purchase. Mainly don't want to add another caliber to my collection. I have recently consolidated and like the idea of less is more.

Fantastic build and one of the best posts I have ever seen on here. A rifle to be proud of.

I would really like to know how it shoots. Planning on hand loading for it?

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well done, excellent work. :thumbsup:

Just curious, what's that rig now weigh, just as it sits (bipod & all)?

so I have to ask why the black finish instead of a beautiful wood grain stain? otherwise the only response I have is holy crap that is one of the most impressive posts I've seen in years! seriously I've shown my wife this post as an example of true craftsmanship with woodworking in regards to her recently buying a 18th century desk she wants to refinish. you've helped me avert a disaster with the "yeah I'm not that good" factor. I owe you, not only for the awesome post, but some personal benefit.:)
    Just a brief sidetrack:

If your wife refinishes that 18th century (i.e., made in the 1700's) desk, it will destroy any possible value that desk has, absolutely.

Watched someone refinish an old, wood armoire after it had been in a fire. Not burned up, but the typical finish 'bubbling' and smoke damage seen from wood furniture that isn't directly engulfed in flames.

After refinishing, the armoire was value at $30,000. "Great!", you say, "That's a huge sum for an old wood piece of furniture!"

However, they discovered later that, had they not refinished the armoire and left it as is, fire damage and all, the armoire was (or would have been) valued at $300,000.

That's correct, they refinished 90% of the value out of a fire damaged, 'old piece of furniture'.

Unless that desk, made in the 1700's is already smashed to pieces and all the original hardware is gone (unlikely, or why refinish it in the first place), leave it as is, 'warts' and all. If it's intact but just doesn't 'look nice', if it's actually an intact desk from the 1700's, it almost 'automatically' has some (perhaps significant) value.

Just a suggestion.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well done, excellent work. :thumbsup:

Just curious, what's that rig now weigh, just as it sits (bipod & all)?

Just a brief sidetrack:

If your wife refinishes that 18th century (i.e., made in the 1700's) desk, it will destroy any possible value that desk has, absolutely.

Watched someone refinish an old, wood armoire after it had been in a fire. Not burned up, but the typical finish 'bubbling' and smoke damage seen from wood furniture that isn't directly engulfed in flames.

After refinishing, the armoire was value at $30,000. "Great!", you say, "That's a huge sum for an old wood piece of furniture!"

However, they discovered later that, had they not refinished the armoire and left it as is, fire damage and all, the armoire was (or would have been) valued at $300,000.

That's correct, they refinished 90% of the value out of a fire damaged, 'old piece of furniture'.

Unless that desk, made in the 1700's is already smashed to pieces and all the original hardware is gone (unlikely, or why refinish it in the first place), leave it as is, 'warts' and all. If it's intact but just doesn't 'look nice', if it's actually an intact desk from the 1700's, it almost 'automatically' has some (perhaps significant) value.

Just a suggestion.

I understand you point, and for this reason I generally don't refinish any old guns if they might have some collector value. However in this case, the OP took what is basically a $300 rifle and customized it, so while it may not be something I would undertake, I think it's kind of a case of no harm, no foul. With the K31's inherent accuracy, what a great base for a long range rig.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Awesome work there, you took it all the way down and built it all the way up. I have to ask, what is the significance of the thumbhole? You know we don't have to do that anymore, right? I guess I just have an animosity toward them, firing left handed and all, though yours looks ambidextrous. Every time I see one, I just cringe.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I understand you point, and for this reason I generally don't refinish any old guns if they might have some collector value. However in this case, the OP took what is basically a $300 rifle and customized it, so while it may not be something I would undertake, I think it's kind of a case of no harm, no foul. With the K31's inherent accuracy, what a great base for a long range rig.

I think he was talking strictly about the desk that the o.p.'s wife was planning on refinishing. He gave the gun a thumbs up.

Top Bottom