• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I've wanted to try an AutoMag or equivalent since my grandpa and I watched Death Wish back in the day. ;) The AMT versions seem to be s u per rare and physically fragile; are there any mass-produced modern equivalents?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As I recall, the automag in22wmr was a nightmare. I suggest a pmr-30 instead. Very similar and apparently much more reliable.

I wanted one too back in the 90s until I heard how awful they were due to the finicky nature of wmr in a blowback.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've wanted to try an AutoMag or equivalent since my grandpa and I watched Death Wish back in the day. ;) The AMT versions seem to be s u per rare and physically fragile; are there any mass-produced modern equivalents?

THe Wildey Auto was used in Death Wish. Auto Mags show up in Sudden Impact and make a variety of cameo appearances.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I remember working in a gun shop and having .44 Automags for sale. They changed hands a few times, were reportedly temperamental, awkward to handle and took proprietary ammo, although .308 brass can be cut down to make the brass. Today they bring big bucks, but probably because of the lack of popularity back in the day. The Desert Eagle is a much more reliable piece and a better value overall. IMHO, if you just have to shoot one, check some of the upscale indoor ranges around the country and see if they rent one.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    All of the above are true. Grip like a 2X4, cranky about lubes, ammo needed to be loaded high for good functioning. I get mine out and shoot them on odd occasions, STP makes a great lube and for no more than I shoot them they always function. I have some sentimental value for one, bought from a now deceased friend, the other has an Indiana connection.:)

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I had an automag III .30 carbine pistol for many, many years. Thing was built like a brick. Bought it new. Never, ever had a malfunction of any kind with it. Very fun to shoot, but it wasn't something I was gonna put 100 rounds through every range trip...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I had an automag III .30 carbine pistol for many, many years. Thing was built like a brick. Bought it new. Never, ever had a malfunction of any kind with it. Very fun to shoot, but it wasn't something I was gonna put 100 rounds through every range trip...

Good guns, loud enough to get everybody's attention at the range.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    All of the above are true. Grip like a 2X4, cranky about lubes, ammo needed to be loaded high for good functioning. I get mine out and shoot them on odd occasions, STP makes a great lube and for no more than I shoot them they always function. I have some sentimental value for one, bought from a now deceased friend, the other has an Indiana connection.:)

My father collected a bunch of them when he was younger, I have a friend I met in Anderson years ago that did side work for Ken Lomont. He introduced me to Ken about 25 years ago ( god bless his sole ) and Ken met my dad a few years later and he sold my dad some spare parts and a 25 and 30 LMP Pistols that Ken had.
    What I'm getting to is your Indiana connection, is it one of the Lee Jurras Pistols ? If so do you have any accessories for it ?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    This is just another "me too" post, and I have no personal experience with any of the Automag variants, but it was a novelty item, very expensive (and much more so since they quit making them), unreliable, impractical, and with ammo being strictly a wildcat type of proposition that doomed it.
    The Wildey used in Death Wish III wasn't really any more salable.
    Only the Desert Eagle (still mainly a novelty, though) really survived and thrived.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My father collected a bunch of them when he was younger, I have a friend I met in Anderson years ago that did side work for Ken Lomont. He introduced me to Ken about 25 years ago ( god bless his sole ) and Ken met my dad a few years later and he sold my dad some spare parts and a 25 and 30 LMP Pistols that Ken had.
    What I'm getting to is your Indiana connection, is it one of the Lee Jurras Pistols ? If so do you have any accessories for it ?

Kent was a good friend, both Automags and NFA stuff, one of those guys you really miss when they are gone. Yes I have one of Lee's pistols, according to him, the only one made for a lefty, along with some of the holsters.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    That's great stuff. I just called my dad and he has never seen a lefty.
    I know he has some leather and at least two of Lees Pistols.
    I bought a Amac from Ken when I first was introduced to him one Fall in Kentucky.
    I hooked Ken up with two guys I grew up with the transferable world.
    Demilt when he was with Colt and Fadden when he was with H K.
    Lots of good deals in the eightys..
    Im myself not much of a Auto-mag fan but my son is. When he spends to.e with his GF he learns more and more about there history.. I believe he will end up with them. Small world.... Good Stuff Thanks

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    This is just another "me too" post, and I have no personal experience with any of the Automag variants, but it was a novelty item, very expensive (and much more so since they quit making them), unreliable, impractical, and with ammo being strictly a wildcat type of proposition that doomed it.
    The Wildey used in Death Wish III wasn't really any more salable.
    Only the Desert Eagle (still mainly a novelty, though) really survived and thrived.

Yeah I don't know that I'd really want to buy one, unless I got one in .30 Carbine, but I'd be interested to see / try one just once.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I have a friend here in Indiana that has a 30 carbine, I don't know if its for sale but I will ask him if you are interested ?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If you want a sort of fun/kind of impractical pistol, be sure to take a look at the Coonan.

I've never had the privilege of shooting one or even seeing one, but all that I've ever heard about the Coonan is that the quality is still there, which is very good.
    It has been said that big hands are helpful with it, though.
    ;)

BFR50-110

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Montgomery County
    If you want a sort of fun/kind of impractical pistol, be sure to take a look at the Coonan.
    I second this. I bought a Coonan Classic early this year and love it. My hands are probably average to slightly large and I find the grip to be very comfortable. As expensive as it was I still feel that it was worth every penny.

Top Bottom