• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    They've been elusive, but while hunting the past 2 weeks, we've seen a family of minks at our place in Boone County.

Extremely fun to watch, and a great time killer.

We've also noticed some very big cottontail rabbits. When you startle them, the things sound for a second like deer bolting out of their bedding area.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I have one on my property that we see from time to time. I even put a ladder stand close to his den in hopes of getting a good picture.

A-savvy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Sun evening I had one run right behind my ladder stand and down into the creek. First time I've ever seen one in Indiana.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Saw a brown one this year on opening day of gun and a black one (different property) 3 yrs ago.

Neat to see them. Made take a second loom each time as I was surprised to see them

nrbq

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2012
    knox county
    Seen 2 in the last year, one going through an old burn barrel through the side then out the top in a dry creek. He was on the fly and never saw me, amazingly graceful. The other time mushroom hunting with a neighbors beagle who saw him near the creek but eluded him under the roots in the creek bank. prob. the same mink. about 400 hundred yds. apart. Edge of Vincennes. Sent from a non-hunter but support hunters and trappers and wildlife in general.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Greenfield, Indiana
    I enjoy seeing them on my Wildlife Photography outings. Photographing them from my kayak allows me to get very close.

6851768718_ff6815301c_z.jpg

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    Sun evening I had one run right behind my ladder stand and down into the creek. First time I've ever seen one in Indiana.

We had the same thing happen two weeks ago. My son thought it was the greatest hunt ever because of the mink, who cares that no deer were taken!

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    I've regularly seen minks when I'm canoeing on the Kankakee river south of Kouts. I usually see them in tree root overhangs on under cut banks.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Our family is black, and I'm in total awe how they have taken over our woods. I'm also curious how such big bunnies manage to survive, as I smacked a couple of coyotes on opening week. Where there are two, there are a lot more.

I was talking to my wife, telling her I was getting ready to come home, just prior to getting out of my tripod, and I looked down, and a mink was sneaking through. I whispered, "hey, there's a mink on this end of the property". He looked straight up at me, and acknowledged me, then disappeared. Pretty nice. :)

indybrad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I had a rabbit run up to me while scouting around 5 years ago, with a mink right behind it. they both got within 5 feet of me. Had another walk under my stand last year.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    Sounds like were getting new animals to the area every year!! The more the merrier!

Mink have been in Indiana for years and years.
    many are trapped every year
    They have always been around you just haven't been lucky enough to see them.

I catch a few each year and many other trappers around the state do as well

xcalibur

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    These were taken about a week ago near Goose Pond in Linton....
    He had a coot in his mouth when I ran across him, but dropped it and scampered into the bush when he saw me. I set up about 15 yards off and waited for him to return to his prize......45 minutes later I was able to get a few shots before he snatched it up and ran off. Fast little fellows.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    We have learned in the family that mink are hard on the chickens. We lost 10 in one night to mink, trapped it the next night.
    Last Friday while in the stand hunting I heard a rabbit in distress and leaves rustling. I expected to see a coyote, but to my surprise I saw a dark brown mink chasing this rabbit down. It was neat to watch from 20 feet up in the tree.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Your patience paid off, very nice. :yesway:

These were taken about a week ago near Goose Pond in Linton....
    He had a coot in his mouth when I ran across him, but dropped it and scampered into the bush when he saw me. I set up about 15 yards off and waited for him to return to his prize......45 minutes later I was able to get a few shots before he snatched it up and ran off. Fast little fellows.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    I had one come up in my decoy spread on thanksgiving morning, and sit on a piece of log, it was really cool. He saw me when I tried to get my phone out for a picture and was gone, but swam through about a half hour later.

Nice pics, I've been told that they can take down a full size canada goose without issue.

Top Bottom