• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I too am looking at downsizing a bit. I have some rifles that I paid fair price for at the time, but newer guns that shoot better have reduced the value of my older guns. I've concluded that I will have to sell the guns at a bit of a loss, but I'm gonna look at it as just the cost of renting it for entertainment. Someone else can enjoy it for a few years.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm a little like MC but being a minimalist myself, I have even less.

I don't have doubles of anything and probably won't. I do have a couple forearms that sit in the safe but I am done selling. The reason I'm not selling anymore is that I would rather my kids have them someday. A couple are guns passed to me from my dad so I'll pass them on again. What they do with them is their choice. I figure they will probably be able to get more money out of them later vs me selling them now.

I thought I was done buying and I hadn't in awhile, but I picked up another .22 rifle last year. That is mostly to use to teach grandkids how to shoot and I foresee coming a time when I will shoot more .22 than I have in the past.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I haven’t been minimizing, but the ammo situation makes me a lot more selective on what I want to buy. Someone posted some cool AR15s in 7.62x39 for $500 recently. I wanted to try one, but then I’d have to buy a caliber I don’t currently have. Plus the magazines I don’t have. I figured it would cost me much more than $500 to make it worthwhile, so I held off.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I found an Ithica 37 in a closet....do not even recall buying it.....better half claims that is evidence it is time to thin the herd.

And ruin the joy of surprises?

I think not!

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I too am looking at downsizing a bit. I have some rifles that I paid fair price for at the time, but newer guns that shoot better have reduced the value of my older guns. I've concluded that I will have to sell the guns at a bit of a loss, but I'm gonna look at it as just the cost of renting it for entertainment. Someone else can enjoy it for a few years.
    I wouldn't sell older rifles short

Speaking for myself, I would much rather have a wood and metal rifle than a plastic fantastic even if I'm giving up a little accuracy. Some of that potential I can recover by tuning the rifle and the load and the traditional rifle is much more of a thing of beauty and an heirloom. As long as it shoots to the accuracy I intend to use it for I would much rather have a traditional rifle and would buy such preferentially

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I wouldn't sell older rifles short

Speaking for myself, I would much rather have a wood and metal rifle than a plastic fantastic even if I'm giving up a little accuracy. Some of that potential I can recover by tuning the rifle and the load and the traditional rifle is much more of a thing of beauty and an heirloom. As long as it shoots to the accuracy I intend to use it for I would much rather have a traditional rifle and would buy such preferentially
    I agree. Our family has taken a fair amount of wildlife with old Weatherby's, Remington's, Marlins, etc. They all had wood stocks. They looked great, felt good and performed well.

I don't know how they would stack up shooting paper targets at long range distances compared to the sub MOA warranted rifles of today, but they didn't have a problem dropping big game at "I can't identify that animal without magnification" distances.

Top Bottom