• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    People and their **** dogs need to understand that I have no desire or patience for their animals. Keep them away. I am not a dog guy, I do not want to play with them, I have no business with them when visiting. I have told friends to cage or put their dog away when I was talking with them several times. "Cage it or I will shoot it" when it was jumping around all over me. They laugh, but see my face.

Yeah, that's when you'd be told to leave.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    My niece had several hundred stitches in her face and head when she 4 or 5 due to a dog. She had to have reconstructive surgery on more than one occasion. Myself, I have a nice scar on my leg from some idiots dog that bit me while I was on a job. I am not a dog guy. If a dog shows aggression towards me, or my family, I will respond violently. My wife has a cocker spaniel that she had before we met, it's just a nasty nuisance. When we first got married, it liked to snarl at everybody, but a few punches to the face stopped that. Now I'm just waiting patiently for it to die.

She told me if it dies from anything but natural causes, there will be big problems.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My wife recently birthed our new baby daughter. She is absolutely beautiful. This is our second, our first being our two-year-old son.

Stupid me, I let her talk me into letting the dog stay in the house ("it's really cold out; if the dog does something you don't like we can have it removed then; Mom says she'll keep an eye on it; etc. etc.").
    few times, but the in-laws cleaned that up and all was well... at least I thought.

. My son just sat there stunned (as he does at first when he gets hurt) then started the scream.

He turned to us and that's when I noticed his lip was all bloody and cheek was scratched up. Well, as soon as I saw this, the dog took a sailing across our back yard. I was ready to beat the dog to death but my wife had chased me out the back door and convinced me not to. My mother-in-law drove the dog back to their home last night (they live multiple hours away). I hope they put the dog down or at least get rid of it. We won't be visiting their house if they still have that dog.

Second, defending your family from harm is much more than defending them from other people. We've got to consciously consider the risk-reward tradeoffs of the environments we place our families in.

Third, until this event, I hadn't really known how defensive I was of my son. If we didn't live in the city, I truly feel I would have taken that dog out back and shot it on the spot.

Finally, what would you have done in such a scenario? Remember, emotions are reeling at the time. Do you think you would have beat the dog? Yelled at your in-laws? Yelled at your wife? Killed the dog? Once you think of what you WOULD have done, then tell me what you think SHOULD have been done.

First, congratulations on the birth of your second child.

Secondly, don't call yourself "stupid", you are not and were not.

Third, I have been there protecting my son and in his case the danger came from a cat. I almost twisted the cat's head off on the spot, but thought my wife would throw a fit. I instead threw it as far as I could in the back yard. I called my wife and told her what happened, she was at work, and she told me to hunt the cat down and kill it. We lived in the country so I did with the help of my elder son it became very,very dead.

You did everything right. Your MIL did right too. The situation seems resolved assuming the children are never exposed to the dog again.

You are an EET or EE major, the avatar is recognizable to me.

Best regards,

Terry

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    When we first got married, it liked to snarl at everybody, but a few punches to the face stopped that. Now I'm just waiting patiently for it to die.

This is the funniest thing I have read all day... taken out of context its twice as funny.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    To the OP: That dog is not done.

The one time I didn't pull the trigger when I should have, I regret to this day. Two months later that dog stalked, attacked and ripped up a 5 year old girl 2 doors down.

In my encounter he was stalking me, but at the time I had a 6 year old child and young Lab, either he could easily destroy. Yeah, I lectured the owners after my run in with the dog. Yes, they kept him away from my property, kids and pets but he just found another victim instead of me.

People make dogs bad but then we let those same people off easy by not making them destroy the animal with their bare hands. They dump the dogs at shelters or in our neighborhoods to be rescued.

I just moved from a popular dumping area for Indy dog failures. Jesus, it tears your heart to see that done to an animal. Then we wonder why these animals attack kids?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I saw a medical book at a med students house once that showed the damage dogs can do to kids. Dogs go for the face. I always warn people that have dogs bred for fighting around little kids. They may be nice seemingly dogs, but I would keep them separated anyway.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I only read enough of that to see what the dog did. I would do the same thing I did the last time a dog bit somebody. Carry it out back in a choke hold, throw it on the ground, and shoot it in the ****ing head. I don't regret it a bit. I almost shot my cousin's dog for biting my son, but my cousin jumped in between me and the dog before I could get a shot off. My uncle killed that dog.
    'Round here, we don't put up with bitin' dogs.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Dogs who bite unprovoked should never be around children. If I had a dog who bit a child, I'd put it down.

I agree with what dross said here but would add a condition, it would have to be an unprovoked event. If the kid was messing with the dog, that would change things for me.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I think I have posted this before, but a neighbor of mine had a Rottweiler that came into my yard a couple of times.
    The first time I yelled at it and it went home.
    The second time I yelled at it and it sat there and dared me to make it go home.
    So I chased it across the yard with my Hi Power (I miss that gun, shouldn't have traded it.)
    I made sure it didn't slow down any til it was off my property shots at it's heels.
    Well, a couple weeks later we obtained a small calf that my daughters named Christine.
    You guessed it he came back with another dog and killed the calf.
    One dog will grab it by the nose (face) and the other will do the killing.
    My wife went out to the field and chased them away.
    Yes she was very lucky and I chastised her for her momentary lack of discretion.

The neighbors paid for the calf and everything without any complaining, but it was incredibly difficult to get them to put it down.
    The sheriff finally told them to but I always suspected they gave it to a friend somewhere.

That's when I instituted the Don't Tolerate Don't Tell rule.
    I knew that dog was a problem and I should have shot it when it dared me to.
    I have two dogs right now and I like dogs.
    I don't shoot every dog that comes in my yard.
    BUT, if i don't like a dog for any reason, I reserve the right to shoot it and bury it.
    And never tell anyone what happened.

Hello?
    Have you seen my dog?
    Whats it look like?
    It's a big black RottDoberWeillerChow. Weighs about 90 lbs. I just can't keep him at home.
    Man, no dog like that come through my yard. (In but not out, if you know what I mean.)
    Ok just checking.
    Good luck finding him. (because he is buried out in my field)

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Wow, it's interesting to read the thread I posted about the family's hunting dog getting killed by a neighbor and then reading this thread. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, it's just very interesting to read the differences.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    sorry it happened, the babysitters dog that bit my son on his face when he was younger was shot soon after.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    At best, animals should only have the same treatment that you'd give to a fellow man. If a person came to your house and bit your son on the face, wouldn't you kill him on the spot? The dog attacked your son, make sure it gets put down. This isn't about getting even or proving something to your wife or in-laws, it's about justice for your son.

I don't think you want him looking back and remembering the attack (even though he's young he may very well remember) and knowing that the dog was pretty much coddled and undisciplined. He needs to understand that he should be able to trust dogs and that most decent people won't keep mangy animals around that he can't feel safe around.

If you make safety a priority in your house, you must have that dog put down to honor that value. You owe it to your self and to your son. I'm sure if it isn't already done the in laws are having a terrible time doing what they know to be right. If you give them a little more motivation it might take the guilt off their shoulders.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Wow, it's interesting to read the thread I posted about the family's hunting dog getting killed by a neighbor and then reading this thread. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, it's just very interesting to read the differences.
    I just am not a fan of dogs, and I've read your thread, and I think it's a horrible thing to mistreat an animal of any kind. I get questions from people a lot when the subject of guns comes up, like "oh you're a hunter"? Well, no, I'm not. I enjoy shooting and that is it. I don't personally like to drag my ass outta bed at 0 dark 30 to go kill something. I see a deer by my house, and I look at it as a creature of beauty. Now, if that same deer decides to attack me or my family, I'll kill it deader than hell. I think dogs serve an important role in a lot of different ways, but when a dog decides to get violent, for whatever reason, that is where my patience ends.

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I don't know if your son went to the hospital or doctor because of the bite, but FYI:

IC 35-47-7-4
    Dog bite injury reporting
    Sec. 4. The:
    (1) physician who treats a person for a dog bite or an apparent dog bite; or
    (2) administrator or the administrator's designee of the hospital or outpatient surgical center if a person is treated in a hospital or an outpatient surgical center for a dog bite or an apparent dog bite;
    shall report the case to the Indiana state department of health not more than seventy-two (72) hours after the time the person is treated. The report may be made orally or in writing.

Top Bottom