• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Yes. You just have to follow there conceal carry laws by not carrying in non-carry zones. I called the Michigan State police and thats what she told me a year ago because my parents and family members live in Michigan. Ofcourse I'm not sure of all the areas that are off limits but I am certain someone here can find a source that lists it.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Good links to check out:

USA Carry - Open and Concealed Carry Information and Community

Handgunlaw.us

Note that when looking at these sites, you should make sure information is linked to a citation of the appropriate state's actual laws or code. In some cases, these will have changed more recently than the site has been updated, so always try to verify what you find.

These web sites are a place to start your research.....and if you have any questions, you should ask an attorney. Only an attorney is qualified and licensed to give legal advice.

Isophix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Michigan City, IN
    The other thing you should know...

If you open carry, and you are an Indiana Resident with a LTCH, you are not held to the pistol-free zones.

Again, this is only if you OPEN CARRY, and you reside in Indiana, with an Indiana LTCH.

Also, remember that federal law prohibits you from carrying within 1000 ft of any school in Michigan, if you are an Indiana resident.

(There is a strong likelihood that the federal gun-free schools act is unconstitutional, but that is a whole 'nother story... So unless you want to be a test case, try to steer clear of the schools.)

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    Michigan is CC only

Yes, you can carry in Michigan with an Indian LTCH but:

Michigan's permit is a CC ONLY permit.
    Open carry in michigan is a big no no.
    You will almost be guaranteed a big hassle with local law enforcement.
    OC in Michigan isn't illegal but the permit doesn't grant you the priviledge of choice to OC or CC it is a CC only permit.

Since there is no law preventing OC in Michigan, there have been numerous people get busted trying to OC in Michigan and it usually ends up being a "disturbing the peace" or "resisting an officer" because you are arguing with them. Or they'll get you on some other stupid local ordinance or whatever. Everything is usually dropped and your free to go after awhile but IMO just not worth it.

Two posts up Barrelmaker_2002's link to USA Carry sums it up and references statutes.

As a disclaimer I'm not a lawyer, or LEO but I did live in Michigan for 23 years up until a year ago.

If you're going to carry in Michigan I suggest you do it in a concealed fashion.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom