• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    Do a bunch of web search. Then a bunch more. You will ALWAYS find a common thread. Doing that research I use
    Winchester WST for 45
    Winchester 231 for 9mm
    Varget for most 223
    Been happy with the results

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    My Lyman Cast manual shows their anticipated most accurate powder and load in bold. That's pretty good to show the powder burn rate they like.

The web is not much help to pick a powder unless you know the poster. There are some great reloaders who hate powders a majority of users absolutely love. You know they're haters when they don't tell you why they hate it. Same for lovers. Depending on the powder, but I believe they all have haters and lovers. This kind of lack of info is not helpful. We need to know why. Details!

I don't like dirty. Others, not so much.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I can't see myself getting into loading yet, as the make/buy tradeoff in 9mm isn't amenable to reloading, even if my time was worthless, which it isn't. For now, the more economical route is stashing factory ammo.

I am loading 1,000 9mms for $50. I think that is worth my time any day. ;)

Oh, my powder choice is easy. Whatever is on the shelf that I can use.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I have seen a lot of folks reference the value of their time, when discussing whether or not it's "worth it" to reload. If I billed an extra 8 hours, at my normal rate, I could buy enough ammo for the entire year, so that's not the way I choose to look at it.

Reloading is a hobby or a pastime...something you don't count the cost on, let alone factor in your time. Either you enjoy it, or you don't, but you don't put a dollar value on it.

In the long run, the very best any reloader can hope for is to shoot a lot more without spending a lot more. If you're going to keep a spreadsheet, with a column for the value of your time, just stick to buying factory ammo. :)

If you feel compelled to make a quick trip to the range because you're out of brass to reload... and your intention is to shoot your own reloads an sweep up your own brass... You've found a hobby you enjoy.:thumbsup:

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I do it more for the fun then saving money. Heck, I have even reloaded 380 and 9mm. In fact, there is a bunch of 380 brass getting cleaned in corn cob media as I type this.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Impressive ^^. Cast lead bullets?

Bought some primers last year or two ago for $10.00 per 1000, traded range brass for bullets for time per 500 bullets and pound for $16.00 that loads approximately 1400 cases (Tightgroup). All true but not everyday deals except for the powder.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I am loading 1,000 9mms for $50. I think that is worth my time any day. ;)

Oh, my powder choice is easy. Whatever is on the shelf that I can use.

I agree and just switched the press over to 9mm.

Powder for me is also simple. Whatever is the cheapest and on the shelf.

You save buying bulk. The more you buy the more you save.

My time is also valuable and a consideration.

Top Bottom