• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I searched and didn't find a thread on this, which kind of surprises me.

We ate dinner with a friend of my wife and she told us all about how awesome the Meta Quest 2 Virtual Reality system is. It was enough to sell me on it even though I haven't been into gaming for 20 years or more.

Does anybody have one of these, and can you recommend any games or apps?

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I searched and didn't find a thread on this, which kind of surprises me.

We ate dinner with a friend of my wife and she told us all about how awesome the Meta Quest 2 Virtual Reality system is. It was enough to sell me on it even though I haven't been into gaming for 20 years or more.

Does anybody have one of these, and can you recommend any games or apps?
    Strap Facebook- connected goggles onto my melon? I don't think so. I do admit that I'm curious, though, how all of the ads affect the game play.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Oze, I sympathize with your reservations about anything Meta/Facebook, try it before you knock it lest you look the fool for mocking things that aren't. Most of the content (at least what I've seen) is purchased, not ad-supported. If you want free, ad-supported products, they're gonna have ads. Hate it all you like but cat pictures, teen angst, and karen drama don't pay the employees bills. Well, they kinda do but only when monetized with ads interspersed.

I have a quest 1 and 2. The quest 2 has been out a year or 2. Oculus was the big name player in the VR world 4-6 (longer?) years ago. Not necessarily the best but best combination of hardware, software, and marketing. Like all successful entrepreneurs living the New American dream, they got bought up by Facebook (meta) 2-3 years ago.

It's a niche. What apps to get is a really "you" Question. There are staples though, like beatsaber and pistol whip. Demeo if you like tabletop RPGs. There's a WW1 combat flight sim I have quite a few hrs in. There's some exercise and fitness stuff but it's kinda limited by not throwing the headset off your head. Actually, I haven't even turned our headsets on in months so I might not be the best to ask. Biggest downside is most of the games don't have a lot of depth, all the development money goes into the VR experience rather than a long drawn out story.

Make sure you try it before you buy it. It's no holodeck graphics wise and if you have ANY inkling of motion sickness, it will be triggered.

matbmorr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2021
    Charlestown
    I've had one for awhile now, and there is some really fun content out. My problem is that, with most of it, it seems to end quickly and not have great replayability. That being said, if you have a pretty decent computer, you can connect the two to play PCVR titles now.

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    beat saber and resident evil 4 included for free right now. my kids want on, but they already have a psvr, so i talked them into looking for a turkey gun

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a friend who has tried VR prOn and he says it’s awesome. No “first hand” experience here other than auto racing and flight sims on various VR rigs and it’s an incredible experience.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    This is my issue. I think I would love stuff like the boxing and some of the first person shooters but I would think I would suffer.
    I should say that doesn't rule you out, just be careful. Probably does rule out driving and flight sims and FPS where you can walk. Other FPS get around it by having you "hop" from static position to static position to prevent motion sickness from seeing "walking" speed movement without feeling it.
    What are the differences between the 1 and 2?

And what's the name of the WWI flight sim?
    1 is early 2019 and discontinued. 2 is late 2020/2021 and still in production. 2 has a better screen, faster processor, more memory, better tracking, etc.

WW1 CFS: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/3922378427824210/

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I should say that doesn't rule you out, just be careful. Probably does rule out driving and flight sims and FPS where you can walk. Other FPS get around it by having you "hop" from static position to static position to prevent motion sickness from seeing "walking" speed movement without feeling it.

1 is early 2019 and discontinued. 2 is late 2020/2021 and still in production. 2 has a better screen, faster processor, more memory, better tracking, etc.

WW1 CFS: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/3922378427824210/
    What would a boxing game do to me, you think? I was thinking that it would be a good cardio workout and maybe I'd learn a few boxing skills at the same time.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    A good friend of mine bought a package for 5 of us old guys at a place where we will be getting setup to emulate being "beamed" onto a planet together like star trek and will engage aliens with phasers.
    I have to admit this might be a blast ! (Pun intended)

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    What would a boxing game do to me, you think? I was thinking that it would be a good cardio workout and maybe I'd learn a few boxing skills at the same time.
    Motion sickness is usually triggered when what your eyeballs report doesn't match your inner ear... reading in the car your eyes say steady but your ear says moving. racing or flying sim, your eyes say moving but your ear says stationary. FPS games where you "walk" with the controller, your eyes see movement but your ear says stationary. The boxing game only moves your environment when you move so your eyes and inner ear are in agreement so you'll probably be OK.

Of course that also means you need an environment big enough to move and punch in lol. Don't play next to the china cabinet.

Top Bottom