• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I will have some training folders to lend out as well. Fixed blade trainers will be OK for some of the stuff as well.- George

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Well, it has been about a year since I was in Indy and look forward to my return next FRI, see you guys soon.- George

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Registration will be from 8:30-9:00 and then the fun begins.- George

BTW, forgot to post it but a cup may be a good idea. I don't wear one but then again I am a ninja.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    See, now you have me not wanting to be there again!

Anytime a class requires or recommends a cup and a mouthpiece, my instinct is to move in the opposite direction with all possible haste!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    See, now you have me not wanting to be there again!

Anytime a class requires or recommends a cup and a mouthpiece, my instinct is to move in the opposite direction with all possible haste!
    :laugh:
    The man's got a job to do. Only good business to get the $, then toss in a few "oh, by the way"s.:laugh:

Incidentally, does Riley have any golf carts or maybe walkers to help us get around at the match on Sunday?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    :laugh:
    The man's got a job to do. Only good business to get the $, then toss in a few "oh, by the way"s.:laugh:

Incidentally, does Riley have any golf carts or maybe walkers to help us get around at the match on Sunday?

My life is riddled with the, "Oh, by the way . . ." routine. Like you're hitch hiking and once you get in the car with super hot chick to stopped to give you a ride and "she" says, "Oh, by the way . . ." in a voice that would make Barry White sound like a castrati soprano. Not that anything like that has, uh, happened to me, mind you. Just sayin' is all.

I'll strap you to the basket on the back of my truck if you need additional mobility, sir. I have bungees.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm gonna go ahead and nominate Burl as INGO's "Training Junkie of the Year" for 2008 and 2009.

Bravo, sir!

You guys have fun tossing each other around! George its a shame I won't have the pleasure of meeting you this time around, but I'm sure there will be other times.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I will return! Don't get hung up on the safety gear. Just precautions. This is a go at your own pace course.- George

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wild guess, but maybe this guy knows?...

...After a hard day of locking up dirt bags, it's time for INGO hat to relax and enjoy the finer things in life. A nice stout from the old country and a soothing cigar.

lfitems0930yu6.jpg

Chris

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I went on day 1 only. I came home with no bruises. I did take a few central nervous system hits to various body parts that, as intended, gave a bit of short term pain, tingling or slight disorientation. I was also put to the floor a half dozen times or so.

This is the first time I have ever had any training of this sort. I was very impressed, coming home with what could be some life saving skills.

George has put together a good program with real world hands on experience from his law enforcement past.

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Spontaneous Assault Survival.
    Eagle Creek Range, Indianapolis, IN
    March 14, 2009

The SAS course is an effort to teach a principle based response to various physical attacks. That’s how this class started, with a simple statement that proved very accurate. George Matheis (Mercop) came to Indy to teach a two day course, the first being his SAS course, and the second day covering his inverted edge knife methods. We began with the formalities of introductions and some basic backgrounds. From the start, George’s personality and presentation are engaging, and easy to follow. His material was well organized, fact based, and supportable. That doesn’t sound like much to some, but I always get concerned when an instructor can’t give me the background behind how something was developed, or better yet why.

On to the important stuff, what we actually did today. We started up with a basic lecture covering some not so basic information. We talked a lot about criminals, what they do, and how they do it. Obviously, in order to defend against a given enemy, you need to know the enemy and his tactics. We also discussed a lot about what types of weapons the bad guys are using to ply their trade. Once again, if you don’t know what your facing, how can you train to defend it. Next up on the lecture list was the likely attack lines, and common strikes. Once again, you need to know what you’re likely to be facing in the street. Finally, we discussed some of the traditional martial arts, and some of the deficiencies in these. It sounds like a lot of information, and it was, I’m sure for some folks it was like drinking from a fire hose. For me, I have had several discussions with George, and other instructors over the years, so it was pretty easy to follow and pick up what he was laying down. Still, some very good information. So often this stuff is not given enough attention in a gun centric crowd, it was good to see a lot of gun guys get some eye opening training. I only know of a few guys in this arena putting this stuff out.

From there we went on to some hands on drills. I won’t go into the details of the techniques, for a number of reasons, but like most hands on classes, we started with a basic skill and drilled it for a few minutes before adding another level and another level. This proceeded until students were actively stopping the attacks and generating various responses based on where they ended up. Again, this is a pretty standard learning model for a hands on skills, and there is a reason, it is effective. By the end of the afternoon, George had us effectively suppressing, or passing attacks from the previously mentioned most likely lines of attack and responding to finish the fight.

Later in the afternoon, George took a little time to cover some kubaton / pen techniques. These were great. This is especially important if you feel you may have to defend yourself in a non-permissive environment. Many of these techniques could be implemented using a small flashlight, a traditional kubaton, a heavy duty pen, or even a heavy duty stylus. For those folks who find themselves in those environments often, this type of stuff could be invaluable.

We closed out the day with a little one on one drill all padded up at less than 1 arms distance with our fellow students forming a tight circle to keep the fighting environment VERY small. Needless to say, at this close range, a few people got cut, but when they executed the techniques correctly, most came out with a win. As George said, when knives come out, there is no guarantee you won’t get cut, But if your going to minimize the number of times you’re cut, you better do something about it.

I have been fortunate over the years to train under a great many people I can honestly call good at what they do, and George is certainly no exception to that. With my open hand and edge weapon background, I came in with some hardwired responses (good and bad), and what George was teaching flowed very well with that.

More on the knife stuff later…

Tinman….

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Sounds like a good course; thanks for your review, Jeff! I'm also interested in hearing from those attendees who DON'T have a background like yours, to see what an Ordinary Earth Person might have gotten out of the weekend.

Top Bottom