• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    It doesn't even need to go to congress anymore. The FDA can just wave a pen and it becomes the next big prohibition boondoggle.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    People who want to smoke will smoke no matter what the flavor. You could allow them to be any damn flavor manufacturers want and I bet you usage won't go up. Why the war on cigarettes anyways? Alcohol causes much more harm to bystanders, and I don't care if somebody decides to hurt themself.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    People who want to smoke will smoke no matter what the flavor. You could allow them to be any damn flavor manufacturers want and I bet you usage won't go up. Why the war on cigarettes anyways? Alcohol causes much more harm to bystanders, and I don't care if somebody decides to hurt themself.

Cat Butt 120's :poop:

EWWWwwwww!

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    First they came for my radium water, now this?

How dare anyone object to companies marketing poison for human consumption!

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

Spoken like a true collectivist.

Nobody here minds 'objections'. We mind 'prohibitions'. There is no shortage of information available about the dangers of cigarettes, and I don't believe that there is a single person left in our society who smokes them unaware of these dangers.

So yes, how dare they restrict our liberty and interfere with the free market with this nanny state nonsense.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013

When they start touting the health benefits of smoking then this becomes a valid point. Unlike radium water, nobody is saying cigarettes are healthy. They acknowledge they are poison unlike the various radium cure-alls of yesteryear.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Spoken like a true collectivist.

Nobody here minds 'objections'. We mind 'prohibitions'. There is no shortage of information available about the dangers of cigarettes, and I don't believe that there is a single person left in our society who smokes them unaware of these dangers.

So yes, how dare they restrict our liberty and interfere with the free market with this nanny state nonsense.

This place is just infested with Randites, isn't it?

There is not such thing as a free market in the real world outside of a few truly lawless regions. The only question is how much regulation and of what type is appropriate.

I don't advocate prohibiting all tobacco. That said, the idea that tobacco users are fully informed about the costs involved in tobacco use and make a rational decision to use it anyway is ridiculous. I smoked at least a pack a day for a decade, even after I knew how much damage it was doing to my body. It's an easy drug to experiment with and a tough drug to quit. If finding no fault with decreased availability of tobacco is somehow "collectivist" as opposed to the usual fantasy of the steely-eyed "individualist" who somehow makes it through life entirely on their own terms without assistance from such collectivist follies as public education, public highways, or public health initiatives that result in less polluted water, air, and soil then I accept the label. Personally I think the individualist/collectivist dichotomy is appallingly reductionist and the result of a fundamental misunderstanding of how our nation and society itself actually works.

I suppose you also consider the FDA to be "nanny state nonsense." We tried minimal government intervention in the "free market," and ended up with deaths from arsenic candy, diethylene glycol cough syrup, and thallium depilatories. The only thing you can trust the "free market" to do is maximize profits at all costs regardless of customers' health or even survival. It must be acknowledged that when it comes to killing customers cigarette manufacturers are exceptionally adroit.

When they start touting the health benefits of smoking then this becomes a valid point. Unlike radium water, nobody is saying cigarettes are healthy. They acknowledge they are poison unlike the various radium cure-alls of yesteryear.

Yet unlike radium water cigarettes are still sold on every street corner.

I'm going to light up a PUNCH "Elite" Cigar in YOUR Honor!!!!:cool:

I used to smoke cigars, but never much cared for Punch. If you really want to raise my hackles smoke one of those awful flavored Acid things, but ultimately the joke would be on you!

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    This place is just infested with Randites, isn't it?

Randite? What does that mean?

There is not such thing as a free market in the real world outside of a few truly lawless regions. The only question is how much regulation and of what type is appropriate.

I don't advocate prohibiting all tobacco. That said, the idea that tobacco users are fully informed about the costs involved in tobacco use and make a rational decision to use it anyway is ridiculous. I smoked at least a pack a day for a decade, even after I knew how much damage it was doing to my body. It's an easy drug to experiment with and a tough drug to quit. If finding no fault with decreased availability of tobacco is somehow "collectivist" as opposed to the usual fantasy of the steely-eyed "individualist" who somehow makes it through life entirely on their own terms without assistance from such collectivist follies as public education, public highways, or public health initiatives that result in less polluted water, air, and soil then I accept the label. Personally I think the individualist/collectivist dichotomy is appallingly reductionist and the result of a fundamental misunderstanding of how our nation and society itself actually works.

Ok, good. I will continue to consider you a collectivist. I understand how our nation and society works. We live in a fantasy world where the government protects us, and increasingly sacrifice our liberties for this 'protection'.

Would you also favor decreased availability (by government prohibition) of caffeine? What about fast food? Soft drinks? Firearms? Where do you draw the line, and why? That is really where this debate gets interesting, and I don't expect a coherent answer.

I suppose you also consider the FDA to be "nanny state nonsense." We tried minimal government intervention in the "free market," and ended up with deaths from arsenic candy, diethylene glycol cough syrup, and thallium depilatories. The only thing you can trust the "free market" to do is maximize profits at all costs regardless of customers' health or even survival. It must be acknowledged that when it comes to killing customers cigarette manufacturers are exceptionally adroit.

I know, right? It's just terrifying to imagine a world without the FDA 'protecting' us. How did human beings ever survive without such a bureaucratically inept government agency to regulate everything that entered their bodies?

There are and always have been free market solutions to quality and safety control in industry. There is no currently no demand for them because we have the imaginary safety blanket of the FDA and other "nanny state nonsense".

Top Bottom