• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'm at odds on putting a scope on this rifle, but since the Hornaday ammo has a greater range than most and a flatter trajectory, I feel a scope will be called for. But on that same note, I still want to use the iron sights. I've heard that weaver rails eliminate the use of the Irons or at least hinder it's use.

I came across these pair of weaver mounts on Midway and was wondering if anyone's had any experiance with these mounts?

MidwayUSA - Just About Everything in Hunting & Shooting Sport Optics***

I don't want to go with the see through/under rings as they will mount the scope too high and make it harder to adjust for just the right yardage if the range of my target changes. The lower it is to the barrel, the more accurate the adjustments of the scope become.

These mounts look to be as flat and low as I can get, but if I won't be able to use the irons I'll have no choice but to get the rings.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I decided to go with the XSSight Ghostrings for irons. They have a scout mount that allows their use with the scope detached. This requires a lower power scope than you might think to use otherwise, but you can get better than gun accuracy out of a 2x scope just fine. It also allows a wider field of view, that is helpful in most places a lever gun is used.

I feel much better about mounting on two points.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I decided to go with the XSSight Ghostrings for irons. They have a scout mount that allows their use with the scope detached. This requires a lower power scope than you might think to use otherwise, but you can get better than gun accuracy out of a 2x scope just fine. It also allows a wider field of view, that is helpful in most places a lever gun is used.

I feel much better about mounting on two points.

I was looking on their website about the XS sights... I'm trying to figure out how all this works. Does it install after taking the weaver mount for the scope off or does it mount to the same weaver mount as the scope does? either way I go I will have to have a new front sight aswell, right?

After looking on Midway, the one's shown for the rear look like they have to be screwed into the reciever. And if I get a pair that fit onto the weaver rail the front post will be WAY too short. I'm thinking it's going to have to be scope, no scope, or go with the high see-through rings. Maybe I'll just put a scope on it and leave it be. If the scope breaks, or needs to come off, I'll just make sure I have a quick way to get the mounts off.

I am glad I don't have a hooded front sight. Those look like a pain.

Anyone have any experiance with the flip-up tang sights?

Edit: I see on XS's website they have low weaver back-up rings. I could do that but I would need the weaver base like on the Remington 700 BU sight to mount the rings for the scope.
    XS Sight Systems - Rifle Sights

Last edited:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The rear Ghost ring goes on the rear scope mounts (two holes). The front replaces the front sight. The Scout scope mount has a dovetail nut that goes in where the original rear sight was and then also connects to the front scope mounts (two holes).

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    The rear Ghost ring goes on the rear scope mounts (two holes). The front replaces the front sight. The Scout scope mount has a dovetail nut that goes in where the original rear sight was and then also connects to the front scope mounts (two holes).

Here, maybe this will help to give you an idea of what I'm working with...

Marlin30AW009.jpg

Marlin30AW002.jpg

Since it's already been drilled and tapped and has the side hammer piece(not sure what it's called), I'm assuming it came with a scope from the factory. What I'm wondering here, is if I use the 2 piece weaver mounts with something like the Remmy 700 low mount ghost rings, is there maybe an adjustable front sight or just a lot taller one? I can't find one on the XS website that's why I ask. Their website is pretty crappy, IMHO.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    UPDATE! Here's my scope rail.

I do have a 2 piece mount for Marlin 336 rifles. New, never been mounted! Will sell!

Marlin30AW011.jpg

Marlin30AW014.jpg

Marlin30AW015.jpg

Marlin30AW017.jpg

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I have an 1895G Guide Rifle on which I installed both the XS ghost ring sight set and their scope mount. It was easy to install and you can use the iron sights with no problem by just removing the scope. I used Burris quick detach rings to mount a red-dot. It is a very clean installation that uses all the existing holes. Highly recommend this set-up.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I have an 1895G Guide Rifle on which I installed both the XS ghost ring sight set and their scope mount. It was easy to install and you can use the iron sights with no problem by just removing the scope. I used Burris quick detach rings to mount a red-dot. It is a very clean installation that uses all the existing holes. Highly recommend this set-up.

With this rail and the two piece set I have that I'm going to sell, you can remove the scope and still use the Iron Sights aswell.

I went with a scope and not a red dot because using Hornaday LeveRevolution I can be accurate out to 300yrds. This is now my go-to rifle and my SKS is my Long Range Shooter.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    By ghost ring, I mean a single ring type sight on the rear of the receiver and a post with round know top on the front. The eye will naturally want to center the round knob in the circle. Sort of like a peep sight but with a bigger hole. Not the same as XS pistol sights. The XS scout rail system does require an extended eye relief scope as the scope will be forward mounted.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Oh yea, duh! LOL I should have remembered as I looked at those. Decided I'd just use the regular irons as backup. I need to get them sighted in before April.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    SE, that scope looks awfully far back on the rail. Just make sure you 1) have enough eye relief and 2) don't eat the scope the first time you shoot it.

The 30/30 is no howitzer but it isn't a 22 either, so be prepared for it to push you a bit. I love mine, don't get me wrong, I just don't want to see you get hurt unnecessarily.

Josh

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    That is one reason why I like the "Scout Mount" on the Guide Gun. I don't want anything near my eye when I touch off a hot loaded 45-70 round. It will really get you attention.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    SE, that scope looks awfully far back on the rail. Just make sure you 1) have enough eye relief and 2) don't eat the scope the first time you shoot it.

The 30/30 is no howitzer but it isn't a 22 either, so be prepared for it to push you a bit. I love mine, don't get me wrong, I just don't want to see you get hurt unnecessarily.

Josh

Yea, I worried about that too before I sighted in the scope. I need a better Scope, but it works for now. I've got just enough room between my eye and the scope that when I shoot it, it comes no closer than a couple inches. I always keep a tight hold against my shoulder for that very reason. Having glasses makes you extra careful! :D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    If you moved the scope forward does it throw off the eye relief? Not to imply that it's the best, but I generally put the scope as far forward on a rail as possible. For me, its mostly due to size. If I don't move it all the way forward, I am too close and the scope blacks out.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    If you moved the scope forward does it throw off the eye relief? Not to imply that it's the best, but I generally put the scope as far forward on a rail as possible. For me, its mostly due to size. If I don't move it all the way forward, I am too close and the scope blacks out.

Yea, no, if I move it forward I get about 15-20% of the sight that I can see through. Where it sits now I still don't have any more than 60-70% of the full picture of the sight. Like I said, I need a new scope. I picked that cheap Famous Maker up at Bradis for like 25 bucks for my SKS. My mount was bad so it's been sitting in a box until I go to the range in which I used it for a spotting scope. If someone has a better one I'd trade it + $30-$40 for a better one. :D I'll even throw in my Marlin 336 2 piece scope mounts!

Top Bottom