• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bulletbill86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2023
    Indiana
    I was talking to a guy at the local show last weekend and we got to talking about marlin curved or pistol grip lever guns and straight stocked marlins ... he said he Remembers years back that they would change a few parts and you could swap back and forth from straight or curved ... anyone know if this is true ? ... and how hard is it ...any info would be greatly appreciated. I have a couple 336 marlins in 35 rem that currently have pistol or curved stocks and would love to swap them to straight stocks like some of my other 336's and my 1894 and 95 variants

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    The pistol grip stock needs a curved lower tang and lever. The straight needs straight lower tang and lever. They should interchange ok, but given the fact that new parts are not available, Marlin parts prices have gone up and availability gone down.
    Add in the fact the trigger and related parts are in the tang you would need those so you would not have to change them over.
    Good luck.

Bulletbill86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2023
    Indiana
    The pistol grip stock needs a curved lower tang and lever. The straight needs straight lower tang and lever. They should interchange ok, but given the fact that new parts are not available, Marlin parts prices have gone up and availability gone down.
    Add in the fact the trigger and related parts are in the tang you would need those so you would not have to change them over.
    Good luck.
    So your saying the small parts in the lower tang don't swap over ? I feel I have changed out some of those parts in the past. But not sure if any or all are the same parts are the same ... also I think my plan will be to buy a complete rifle and switch the lower tang ,stock,forend, and lever ... that way the wood matches and then I'll just trade or sell the other rifle ... and with a little luck get my rifle how I want it for 200 or less

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    They swap over. Perhaps I misunderstood your intention. If you intend to swap back and forth somewhat regularly having those parts in each tang will speed the process and lessen the chance of the pins and springs going missing ind the changeover. If this is a one time swap then they are not needed.

Bulletbill86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2023
    Indiana
    They swap over. Perhaps I misunderstood your intention. If you intend to swap back and forth somewhat regularly having those parts in each tang will speed the process and lessen the chance of the pins and springs going missing ind the changeover. If this is a one time swap then they are not needed.
    This is a one time swap ... I would like to make my 336 in 35 rem ... a straight stock like my old "69" 336 in 30-30 ... and all my pistol caliber marlins are in straight stocks

Bulletbill86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2023
    Indiana
    Just my way of thinking here but I would see this as an opportunity to buy more guns!
    I for sure don't need any reason to buy more guns... already at least 2 a week. And so many lever actions. I started avoiding the pistol grip marlins all together .. unless too good to pass up ..lol

Top Bottom