• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    “Instead of saying ‘ma’am’ or ‘sir,’ recruits in these Services refer to their drill instructors using their ranks or roles followed by their last names

I had no idea USMC called drill instructors "Sir" or "Ma'am" anyway. That'd get you punished in the Army. NCO's are addressed by their rank, or sometimes informal variations (ie "Top" for a 1SG). I'm sure this we can spin some controversy out of it, though. Maybe get a little outrage going.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    I had no idea USMC called drill instructors "Sir" or "Ma'am" anyway.
    Interesting. In the USAF it was required to start with Sir or Ma'am. At least that was the case when Abraham Lincoln and I served.

On the other hand, I've always quietly wondered why we address one another in accordance with the presumed genitals of the addressed...

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I had no idea USMC called drill instructors "Sir" or "Ma'am" anyway. That'd get you punished in the Army. NCO's are addressed by their rank, or sometimes informal variations (ie "Top" for a 1SG). I'm sure this we can spin some controversy out of it, though. Maybe get a little outrage going.
    In the marines, as a recruit you held no rank and weren't a marine yet. You didn't rate to address a marine, even a private by anything other than sir or ma'am.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    In the marines, as a recruit you held no rank and weren't a marine yet. You didn't rate to address a marine, even a private by anything other than sir or ma'am.
    I wondered why they did that. I'm also used to the Army way.

So a civilian would be wrong to address a marine by rank?

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I was raised addressing adults by "Sir" or "Ma'am", the alternative was some unpleasant discipline to say the least.
    Being a hard habit to break, I found myself making that mistake more than once in basic training.
    I swear, Ft. McClellan has to sit below sea level from all the push ups I've done over that simple mistake.

EDIT; And corrected once by a judge for calling him "Sir" while answering his question.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    On the other hand, I've always quietly wondered why we address one another in accordance with the presumed genitals of the addressed...
    Because until recently, we didn't have to "presume" anything. We could accurately predict the genitalia based on the appearance of the person. Now it's a crap shoot.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I wondered why they did that. I'm also used to the Army way.

So a civilian would be wrong to address a marine by rank?
    No, a civilian is free to call anyone as they feel fit. In uniform, I got a lot of "sirs". I lived in Jacksonville, 90% population was linked to the marines one way or another, so I'm not sure how that sways the data. Plus camis aren't allowed off base. So usually civilians just greeted you as just another person...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    At Basic, in the Army you called your drill sergeant: "Drill Sergeant"....and I guarantee that gender theory had nothing to do with it, not in 1990 when I did it and not for a long time before.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    Interesting. In the USAF it was required to start with Sir or Ma'am. At least that was the case when Abraham Lincoln and I served.

Was like that in 86 when I was at Lackland

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    LOL,
    It all changes right after the recruits finish
    The Crucible, That Eagle & Globe is pushed in your hand and Poof, you are now a US Marine Private or Private First Class.
    If its summer, your barracks ac will be on when you get back.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    LOL,
    It all changes right after the recruits finish
    The Crucible, That Eagle & Globe is pushed in your hand and Poof, you are now a US Marine Private or Private First Class.
    If its summer, your barracks ac will be on when you get back.
    Where the f was there ac?! We didn't even have washing machines. All laundry was done by hand.

Must have been parris Island marines....

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    No, a civilian is free to call anyone as they feel fit. In uniform, I got a lot of "sirs". I lived in Jacksonville, 90% population was linked to the marines one way or another, so I'm not sure how that sways the data. Plus camis aren't allowed off base. So usually civilians just greeted you as just another person...
    Tobies, TOBIES!!!!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Because until recently, we didn't have to "presume" anything. We could accurately predict the genitalia based on the appearance of the person. Now it's a crap shoot.

Pat disagrees. :D

I only had one instance of "oh ****, masculine female or feminine dude???" when a medical type CPT came through a gate I was manning at EFMB testing. I went with "Sir", feeling that if I was wrong I could claim force of habit due to being in an all male MOS and unit. To this day I'm not sure if I got it right or not...

Top Bottom