Man arrested in 'Call of Duty' 'swatting' hoax that led to fatal police shooting

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    If my door gets busted in then I'm assuming those coming in are bad people, especially if it is in the middle of the night when you were asleep, it's almost impossible to think clearly within a couple of seconds.

You need a good dog. You will know before the perimeter is breached if you have a good dog. I know if someone is in the neighborhood and out of the car 3 houses away.

tepeco

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2014
    O'fallon
    The swatter has called 911 and given them not only the address, but also what he has done already and what he intends to do eventually. I would expect the guy to pick up the phone if the response team called back immediately... He's already shown he wants SWAT to come after him. Or... Using a reverse directory (always available at any police department), a landline might be available. The response team at the PD might get an answer if they called that number. In this case, it would likely have stopped the entire operation as the victim would answer. Or... call the number back that made the initial call. If the number is spoofed it might raise suspicion. If the swatter answers, initiate a hostage negotiation right then. Seems to me, it would be a hostage response team that should take the lead and get first try to defuse the situation, not a SWAT team. And since the guy has said he has doused the house in gasoline, why would SWAT go in with fire-breathing guns anyway? When prepping for the unknown in such a dangerous sounding scenario, seems like a little more might be done prior to expecting a firefight. The 911 operator didn't even ask the guys name. Could have ask the name of the supposed victim as well. Response teams should have an arsenal of questions to assess what's real and what's not. Yes, I know, I know, it's easy to come up with possible solutions after it's all over, but avoiding those micro seconds when SWAT makes that initial contact... that eye to eye situation where SWAT is ready and the victim is totally surprised... shocked even; and doesn't even know what his arms are doing. Innocent citizens just aren't prepared for this. And too many will die. This poor fellow would still be alive if the police had initiated hostage negotiations.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The swatter has called 911 and given them not only the address, but also what he has done already and what he intends to do eventually. I would expect the guy to pick up the phone if the response team called back immediately... He's already shown he wants SWAT to come after him. Or... Using a reverse directory (always available at any police department), a landline might be available. The response team at the PD might get an answer if they called that number. In this case, it would likely have stopped the entire operation as the victim would answer. Or... call the number back that made the initial call. If the number is spoofed it might raise suspicion. If the swatter answers, initiate a hostage negotiation right then. Seems to me, it would be a hostage response team that should take the lead and get first try to defuse the situation, not a SWAT team. And since the guy has said he has doused the house in gasoline, why would SWAT go in with fire-breathing guns anyway? When prepping for the unknown in such a dangerous sounding scenario, seems like a little more might be done prior to expecting a firefight. The 911 operator didn't even ask the guys name. Could have ask the name of the supposed victim as well. Response teams should have an arsenal of questions to assess what's real and what's not. Yes, I know, I know, it's easy to come up with possible solutions after it's all over, but avoiding those micro seconds when SWAT makes that initial contact... that eye to eye situation where SWAT is ready and the victim is totally surprised... shocked even; and doesn't even know what his arms are doing. Innocent citizens just aren't prepared for this. And too many will die. This poor fellow would still be alive if the police had initiated hostage negotiations.

And a third not far behind...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wow. Someone really stocked up on alter ego usernames back in the day and managed to remember the logins.

There's gotta be a spreadsheet involved.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    What is a “ban hammer”, and against whom would it be wielded?

source.gif

The ban hammer is only applied "if your friends don't dance and if they don't dance then they're no friends of mine...Everybody look at their hands....It's a safety dance..."

downrise14

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    NWI
    Why do we allow police in suburban America to react as if they are in the GAZA strip? It simply should not be the case that an American crawling on the floor in a hotel hallway or a man in the doorway of his own home can be killed for not following every detailed confusing 'Simon Says' command the police scream at him. Are we at the point now where if the police show up you should just lie down and not move and force them to come get you? If you twitch wrong some dummy will kill you. I'm pro-police but lets hold them responsible for this non-sense. They have the power to kill - they MUST learn to use it with more restraint.

How would you prefer they react to this situation? The report was one shot in the head, two being held at gun point, gasoline spread throughout three house and threats of seeing things ablaze. Should they knock on the door and say "excuse me sir, is there a problem"? Blame the root cause, which is the punk kid who made the prank call.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom