M4 shot until it catches on fire and the gas tube melts. (video)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I did that with an AK, but when the hand guards caught fire I just threw it in the creek. it was fine after that.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Just the inner hand guards started smoldering. Never had any flames. The sling melted off. had to hold it by the drum and pistol grip. Bore was spotless.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    This test was done at the Colt Defense Test Range.
    The test was done to show the difference between the regular M4 barrel and the SOCOM M4 barrel.

The M4 carbines will receive the M4 SOCOM barrel as an upgrade after concerns of the regular M4 barrel overheating during prolonged firefights.

The Making of the Military’s Standard Arms, Part II - At War Blog - NYTimes.com

I was going to venture that this testing was part of a manufacture or government test of the weapon. Looks like you've confirmed that.

Perfectly good use of my tax dollars if you ask me! Rather that than some B.S. program to create habitat for the albino whales that were made fun of by the other whales because they were different.

Greatestsin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Morgan Township, NWI
    This test was done at the Colt Defense Test Range.
    The test was done to show the difference between the regular M4 barrel and the SOCOM M4 barrel.

The M4 carbines will receive the M4 SOCOM barrel as an upgrade after concerns of the regular M4 barrel overheating during prolonged firefights.

The Making of the Military’s Standard Arms, Part II - At War Blog - NYTimes.com

There is also a second video of the barrel in question that recieved the complaints of the overheating, it didn't last but half that if i remember correctly.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

How is the SOCOM barrel immune to overheating??? Every barrel overheats after prolonged full-auto use. I know I've heard stories of red-hot M2 barrels in WWII.

Top Bottom