• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rudyman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    dekalb co.
    I really want to get an m1d ,but I am not that well versed in what to look for as far fakes . Is there an expert or two in the INGO realm that can stear me in the right direction? I want something I can shoot but collect ability is also a factor. I have seen them from $1500 to $6000 . Wondering what drives the price? Thanks to all in advance.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    The above comments are good. I would suggest reading the relevant sections in Scott Duff's books as a place to start. Most folks go to what is called the "red and blue" books. Red is the war era book and blue is post war. That is IMO the best place to start in terms of learning part ID and provenance, and assembly history. Those are probably the most critical parts for Garand collecting beyond just shooting one.

As an aside, one of my part sources is a massive pile of de milled parts from all sorts of service rifles. I was pulling out old receivers looking for a particular elevation drum and came across a chopped receiver that had been drilled for the mount. What a shame.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The CMP sold a significant number of them in the middle 1990's. These came to the lucky recipient via USPS in a rifle sized box that included the USGI BII (Basic Issue Inventory): Scope & Carry Pouch, Shoulder Strap, Cleaning Kit, Cheek Pad, & paperwork. This is what I would be looking for -- Authentic and Significant. I had much luck with mine at an Atterbury 3-gun match, scored very well at 500 yds with ammo I built for that gun. They are hard to find, 10 years ago the market called high $3K. I don't know what today would bring.

This is what they look like shipped from the CMP:

M1-DCMPKit_zpsauuteck1.jpg

Mine is #3 from the top.
    Collection_zps2ccxykol.jpg

Orlando8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Central Ohio
    Thats the problem, M1D's are mixmaster rebuilds and you cant tell the real deal from a basement build. The only way to know for sure you have a USGI build is provenance/paperwork.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Whut's that dern-fangled staynless-steel AR there, John?

Where's the muzzle brake and 30-round PMAG, and..and...

You don't even have a flashlight on her?!

-Nate

I suspect you already know, :@ya: but for those playing at home:

Armalite M15A2 NM with Krieger 1x7.75 Wylde chamber SS barrel. NM trigger, NM sights. CMP legal.

Orlando8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Central Ohio
    True, but you are also guaranteed to get a true USGI M1D. Not a fake.

But will never be worth what acomplete papered M1D with asscesories is worth.Collectors want a M1D that came with original assecories not built.
    There is a DCM lottery M1D with all assecories in original packaging as received, "never opened" for sale on the CMP forum $4500 and worth every penny

Top Bottom