• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Been looking to get one as a daily driver/SHTF vehicle. Anyone have any experience with them? I know if you aren't lucky you can get a mechanical nightmare. Let me know what to look for and pro/cons of getting one.

Thanks all in advance!

vesan87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    A little south of Indy
    I've got one and I drive it often. I get about 20mph and I love it. It's fairly beat up. I've rebuilt the alternator and put two new batteries in it and replaced the u joints. At 95000 miles the u joints were very worn.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I've got one and I drive it often. I get about 20mph and I love it. It's fairly beat up. I've rebuilt the alternator and put two new batteries in it and replaced the u joints. At 95000 miles the u joints were very worn.

You wouldn't happen to live near Greenwood would you? Just wondering because someone down the road from me has a 6x6 and an M1009 in their driveway. Have you done the 24v to 12v conversion? And how hard are u joints to change out? I love the fact that everyone says they are easy to work on.

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    You might check out coloradok5.com. Search that site and you'll find all the info you need to know about a k5.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Been looking to get one as a daily driver/SHTF vehicle. Anyone have any experience with them? I know if you aren't lucky you can get a mechanical nightmare. Let me know what to look for and pro/cons of getting one.

Thanks all in advance!
    Pro's...
    Dana 60 Front Axle in a 3.08 ratio open
    GM Corporate 10.5 Rear Axle w/Detroit Lockers
    TH-400 Transmission
    NP-208 Transfer Case

Con's...
    6.2L Diesel
    They have been driven like they were Stolen every time some kid got behind the steering wheel...
    The bastard Wiring 12VDC and 24VDC

I have worked on them many times. The only way I would buy one would be to strip the axles for a different project...

jerry46765

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Hancock County
    I had one about 15 years ago. I paid next to nothing for it. It had 30k on the odometer but must have been constantly idling from the beginning of Reagan's second term through George HW's entire stay in the White House. It was military surplus rough and that Olds 6.2l wasn't anything special. Interior was trashed, but it was current on maintenance. Typical stuff that was usually rough on an old truck wasn't bad on this one. Driveline was tight, brakes were good, door hinges looked like they had been repaired/replaced, but it was getting rusty (and that was in the mid 90s).

As a hunting vehicle or a demolition man runner, it was good enough.
    As a daily driver, it's an old truck with lots of running time on it.
    It just depends what you want from it.
    Not sure I would want to depend on it for daily driving in very cold weather with the 24v charging system.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I drove and beat the **** out of one for nearly 7 yrs, not a chevy fan by any means and the 6.2 diesel is well a 6.2. The rest of the truck seemed to hold up fine, for a SHTF vehicle or a hunting/off road play toy, it would do the job for sure.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I spent 8 1/2 years working on the things.
    The glow plug system sucks and needs to be seriously babied. It doesn't matter if its 100 degrees out, wait for the wait light to go off or you'll be trying to removed swollen glow plugs.
    Changing the starter sucks, period.
    Use marine grease in the front hubs.
    If you get one change the lock cylinder. All those military chevy's used the same key.
    They are emp hardened, except the glow plug controller
    They were (20 years ago) very reliable.

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    If your still considering a k5, there are some issues to look for before you buy. All the ones that I've seen in this region are rust buckets. Most will require floor pans front and rear, quarter panels, tailgate, bracing, ect.. The 10 bolts in them won't take much abuse before they break, and like everyone said the 6.2 is lacking.

It would be best to search for a west coast k5 that someone else is tried of. Look hard enough you should be able to pick up something solid. The positive thing about the k5 is the aftermarket is huge, and they are easy to interchange parts with other GM products from that era.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    If your still considering a k5, there are some issues to look for before you buy. All the ones that I've seen in this region are rust buckets. Most will require floor pans front and rear, quarter panels, tailgate, bracing, ect.. The 10 bolts in them won't take much abuse before they break, and like everyone said the 6.2 is lacking.

It would be best to search for a west coast k5 that someone else is tried of. Look hard enough you should be able to pick up something solid. The positive thing about the k5 is the aftermarket is huge, and they are easy to interchange parts with other GM products from that era.

I am still considering it. I'm not wanting to do hard-core off roading, but will stock replacement drivetrain parts. Also might buy the supplies for the 12v conversion for reliable starting. I'll also upgrade the glow plugs and replace all rubber on the truck.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    My buddy who has experience in this states:

I have been tracking the sale of M1009's for about 3 years and this is the best batch listed as "driven onto lot" that I have seen in about a year and a half.

I am seeing fewer and fewer of these going up for auction, so if you have had any interest at all you might want to jump on this batch.

Background: I have bought (1) M1009, (5) M1008's, and an M35A3 from auction. When they say "driven onto lot" that means it is in driving condition.

M1008's/M1009's usually go for about 3500-4500 in this condition. M35A3's usually go for about 6500 bucks.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    It means that he has a ton of experience with these, has followed these auctions for years, and this is the best batch he has seen in a year in a half. This is from a guy I would trust my families life with.

If I was in the market for one I would buy one.

That being said it is an auction and you better have the skills to repair things if needed. If you don't I would pass.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    It means that he has a ton of experience with these, has followed these auctions for years, and this is the best batch he has seen in a year in a half. This is from a guy I would trust my families life with.

If I was in the market for one I would buy one.

That being said it is an auction and you better have the skills to repair things if needed. If you don't I would pass.

Man, I hope these gems go unnoticed :rockwoot:

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Stick with 33" or smaller tires, don't get to adventurous with the trails you might run, and try not to put the suspension/tires in a bind, then your stock running gear should be fine. I would look bracing the frame around the steering box (offroad design carries a kit), they are prone to cracking because of the steering design.

Top Bottom