• speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Hello All,
    I have 2 ammo cans of M1 Garand 30-06 ammo in en bloc clips. I dont have a M1 and have no use for the ammo. Can anyone give me pointers on what the value would be? I have been looking online to see what the value would be and there is limited data available for vintage rounds. any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    If it's the Greek spam can, it was $0.90/round or less when I got it from the CMP 5 years or so ago. It'll look like a big OD green can of spam with HXP on it. 192 rounds. Now I'm seeing unopened ones for $250 or so. It's decent stuff, crimped primers but reloadable.

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Do you know what the rounds are? headstamp? painted tips?
    Thanks for responding. Looks like the headstamp is '88' and do not appear to be painted tips. Both Ammo cans I have are opened and I didn't see any markings on the outside.

Are people interested in this type of ammo in the clips? Im not even sure how it ended up in my inventory, but its been there a while.

Thanks again for the advice.
    1675733170058.png
    1675733082411.png

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Hmmm... Can you post a picture of the symbol on the back of the enbloc clip? Are the enblocs all the same?

A post at forums.thecmp.org indicates it may be Yugoslavian.

"11-10-2018, 12:32 PM

Its Yugoslavian from 1988....mostly likely Igman...

Made to M2 ball specs...great ammo and brass"

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Google fu says might be Western Cartlridge Co (Ohlin) mfg in IL or might be Venezuelan or might be Yugoslavian for Venezuela. May or may not be corrosive may or may not be appropriate for M1s LOL

All of that assumes it hasn't been reloaded and someone nail-polished the primer pockets for whatever reason.

I'd give you something as components

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Yes, Yugoslavian, Igman plant. 1988, noncorrosive boxer primers, lead core, copper jacketed, FMJ bullet. I don't know how hot it is. Split one open.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Thanks for responding. Looks like the headstamp is '88' and do not appear to be painted tips. Both Ammo cans I have are opened and I didn't see any markings on the outside.

Are people interested in this type of ammo in the clips? Im not even sure how it ended up in my inventory, but its been there a while.

Thanks again for the advice.
    View attachment 253492
    View attachment 253491
    I'm not sure what that surplus is. Doesn't have the greek markings being thats where all it used to come from. M1 grand was a lighter load than the Springfield 06 ammo. I've been keeping an eye on 30-06 for some time hoping it would come back down in price. I haven't bought any in 4 years cause i wasn't paying over 65 cent a round. I used to shoot the bear brand which i was getting for $13 for 20 rounds. I've seen 30-06 going for .90 to $1 round for surplus..sometimes more for sealed cans which idk why.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Ok here’s the skinny on your ammo

It’s hot, very hot, way too hot for a garand! Way too hot for a bolt action gun! That ammo is so hot, I wouldn’t even touch it without asbestos gloves on, In fact I’m honestly surprised it hasn’t melted thru the spam can yet, and the floor under it, I’m actually amazed it hasn’t melted to the center of the earth and started the chain reaction the brings the last days of earth!

But since I’m such a great guy, if you give it to me, I’ll keep it in my fireproof gun safe, and when the next Chinese “weather balloon “ crosses into American airspace, I’ll take it out from my front porch! As hot as that ammo is, it’ll probably blow up my garand, but that’s the chance I’ll have to take to keep our sovereign airspace safe from those commie ba$7@rds!

Ok I’d say since it’s in spam cans, on enbloc clips, it’s safe to shoot in any garand or bolt action,

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Ok here’s the skinny on your ammo

It’s hot, very hot, way too hot for a garand! Way too hot for a bolt action gun! That ammo is so hot, I wouldn’t even touch it without asbestos gloves on, In fact I’m honestly surprised it hasn’t melted thru the spam can yet, and the floor under it, I’m actually amazed it hasn’t melted to the center of the earth and started the chain reaction the brings the last days of earth!

But since I’m such a great guy, if you give it to me, I’ll keep it in my fireproof gun safe, and when the next Chinese “weather balloon “ crosses into American airspace, I’ll take it out from my front porch! As hot as that ammo is, it’ll probably blow up my garand, but that’s the chance I’ll have to take to keep our sovereign airspace safe from those commie ba$7@rds!

Ok I’d say since it’s in spam cans, on enbloc clips, it’s safe to shoot in any garand or bolt action,
    Thanks man! i will definitely keep you in mind!

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Thanks for all the good feedback. I pulled them all out and it seems there are different head stamps in the cans. Also, the enblock have different markings. I didnt pull a bullet from each clip, but these seems to be common stamps:

1675799791771.png
    In total there are 680 rounds.

The enblocks seem to have different stamps as well:

1675799942790.png 1675800118701.png

It sort of seems like the advice is that its worth between 80 cants and a $1/round. Is that correct? I assume the mixed head stamps and clip stamps isnt good?

Thanks again! As usual this is a great group with some knowledgeable people.

Attachments

• 1675799871938.png
      1675799871938.png
      138.2 KB · Views: 2

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    I did some quick searching online, and it looks like the KA headstamp is South Korean. The # is the manufacture year. The internet brain cube seems to think any KA pre-74 is corrossive.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    The two BR-W clips are Borg Warner manufactured
    The SA clip is Springfield Armory

I would suspect the market is softer for corrosive primed ammo.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I pulled the bullets on the korean i had and reloaded with new powder, tested some in a bolt gun first my Labradar had this ammo all over the place, i have to say i didn't find the brass to be all that good and it was possibly corrosive as a few day after firing i had green in the throat of the casings! Now you do have good enblocs so they are worth something.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Thanks for all the good feedback. I pulled them all out and it seems there are different head stamps in the cans. Also, the enblock have different markings. I didnt pull a bullet from each clip, but these seems to be common stamps:

View attachment 253610
    In total there are 680 rounds.

The enblocks seem to have different stamps as well:

View attachment 253612 View attachment 253614

It sort of seems like the advice is that its worth between 80 cants and a $1/round. Is that correct? I assume the mixed head stamps and clip stamps isnt good?

Thanks again! As usual this is a great group with some knowledgeable people.
    FWIW, The SA(Springfield Armory) marked en-bloc clips empty are somewhat collectible. They bring about $10.00 apiece to collectors.

Top Bottom