• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    The wife (LadyGhost) picked up her new M&P 9mm breast cancer edition a couple of weeks ago and we finally got out to the range to try it out yesterday. She loves ho it feels in her hand, but there is a problem. The gun ejects the spent casing directly back into her face. She even had one land behind her glasses burning her eyelid and cheek. I tried the gun thinking it was just her, and I experienced the same thing. It ejected the shells straight back into my face. My question is this a common problem/issue with M&P's? Or what??

G

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    If you search other forums, this has been brought up multiple times and is a problem for a lot of new M&P's. I'm not sure exactly what is causing it however, when i first broke in my M&P9c i was having the same problem with them hitting off of the top of my head. After shooting the gun on multiple occasions (say 150 rounds) it doesn't do it anymore. I didn't change anything, it just stopped and has not done it since. So hopefully hers will be like mine!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have few rounds(76) through my M&P 9MM FS and I have had a few round hit me in the forehead also.

I was going to put an Apex kit in it this weekend. Should I shoot it more first and if it doesn't stop, send it to S&W?

It's probably not a good idea to send it to them with modifications, correct?

elwood77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    NW Indy
    Subscribed.

I just broke in a new m&p9 full size last weekend and experienced something similar. I felt a few casings hit my forearms on the first couple of mags. My soon-to-be Mrs. said several hit her on the head.

We probably shot 150 rds or so that day, and neither of us can recall experiencing it after the first couple of mags. I'm hoping to do a little more shooting this weekend, so I'll pay closer attention.

Jim

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Generally low slide velocity is the cause of such an ejection pattern (for now, let's consider things other than the extractor). The usual causes are weak firing grip, underpowered ammunition, too heavy of a recoil spring and underlubrication. Underlubrication probably isn't the cause, and I'll assume that your grip is sufficient. Relatively underpowered training ammo along with the springs being new is the likely culprit. A couple good dry fire sessions between now and the next range visit should start working the springs. Also, bring some carry ammo with you to the next range session and see where that ejects.

Remember, springs have to be heavy enough to handle hot self-defense loads throughout their duty cycle, so it's no uncommon for them to be a little tight for light target loads at the beginning of that cycle.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Generally low slide velocity is the cause of such an ejection pattern (for now, let's consider things other than the extractor). The usual causes are weak firing grip, underpowered ammunition, too heavy of a recoil spring and underlubrication. Underlubrication probably isn't the cause, and I'll assume that your grip is sufficient. Relatively underpowered training ammo along with the springs being new is the likely culprit. A couple good dry fire sessions between now and the next range visit should start working the springs. Also, bring some carry ammo with you to the next range session and see where that ejects.

Remember, springs have to be heavy enough to handle hot self-defense loads throughout their duty cycle, so it's no uncommon for them to be a little tight for light target loads at the beginning of that cycle.

This sounds like a good plan. I will continue to get some rounds through it before I get too concerned. I'll also watch my grip.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I put about 100 rounds through it and no change.....I'm gonna give I about 100 more the next outing and if it is still doing it I'm having Blythe's send it back.

No need to go through the dealer. I'd call S&W direct and ask them for a shipping label. S&W should pick up the shipping cost.

wpmason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    My 9c is a little erratic with it's ejections (not landing in the same area each time) but I've never had one come straight back at me. Maybe you could try some different loads in it and see if it acts differently. Or even get some snap caps and use your hand to eject them at different forces... maybe the ejector is bent or something.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    I have never had that problem with my 40c. Hopefully you two get it figured out soon! Hope to see you both at the next meet & shoot!

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

The springs are set to operate all normally produced ammunition that are loaded to SAAMI standards which all factory training and self defense loads fall into. I have seen worn recoil springs cause department SIG's slides to run sluggish but that was after several tens of thousands of rounds.

If the firearm is ejecting the brass the same way with both shooters it is probably the extractor/ejector. I would recommend calling S&W and let them adjust it since they have excellent warrenty.

As far as the lubrication there generally isn't an issue with that. At most it would be sluggish on the slide but not "normally" enough to keep it from running. I have seen to much lurbricant used in that it attracts dirt/sand/debries and causes the slide to become sluggish as well.

Top Bottom