• 4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Lugar to Back Nomination of Lefty IU Law Prof

From the Journal Gazette:
    Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Ind., said Tuesday he will support the nomination of an Indiana University law professor to head the Obama administration’s internal law office.

He is the first Republican to publicly declare his backing for Dawn Johnsen, whose selection to head the Office of Legal Counsel has grown into a fight about abortion rights and counterterrorism practices.

Some Republicans have promised to try to block Johnsen’s confirmation either because of her support for abortion rights or because she criticized the legal justification used by the Bush administration for the torture of detainees.

Lugar’s support does not guarantee the Senate will confirm Johnsen. Sixty votes are needed to stave off a filibuster, and vote-counters say they are aware of close to 60 "yes" votes for Johnsen, but they are not declaring victory. One Democrat – Nebraska Sen. Ben Nelson – has said he will vote against Johnsen.

Advocacy groups have turned Johnsen’s nomination into a high-profile tussle in Washington. On Tuesday morning, a group of 75 Hoosier law professors signed a letter asking Lugar to support Johnsen.

Lugar has said that, barring something extraordinary, a president should be able to choose top aides even if they support policies the opposition party opposes. He has also said Congress should not require as many posts be reviewed and voted on; about 500 positions require Senate confirmation.
    I'm so glad that Dick Lugar is rushing so quickly to replace Arlen Specter as the most annoying member of the Senate Republican caucus.

Specter expected a filibuster of Johnsen last week, but since he's switched it's probably no longer an operative consideration.

There is at least one conservative Democrat that opposes Johnsen's nomination, which would have given the Republicans at least the 41 votes to filibuster the radical Obama nominee. With Lugar's rather spineless decision, that becomes more difficult.

For review, let's look at some of Johnsen's statements about abortion:

“Abortion restrictions ‘reduce pregnant women to no more than fetal containers.’”

“The argument that women who become pregnant have in some sense consented to the pregnancy belies reality...and others who are the inevitable losers in the contraceptive lottery no more ‘consent’ to pregnancy than pedestrians ‘consent’ to being struck by drunk drivers.”

“The experience [of abortion] is no longer traumatic; the response of most women to the experience is relief.”
    The archive of my posts about Dawn Johnsen and her lefty record is available here.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I can not stress enough how bad Lugar is. I know Dawn Johnsen, she is the most bitingly partisan, nasty, purely evil person I've ever met. Her nomination demonstrates just how radical Mr. "I can bring both sides together" Obama is. She and he represent the most extreme, leftest leftist element of the Democrat party. Mr. Lugar may as well join Specter, Lugar is even more fit for the Democrats than Specter.

180px-Lugar-Obama.jpg

4d3dc09caeb8864e

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Can anyone actually tell me you are surprised by this? Honestly?

Come on Luger has forgot what most Hoosiers are really about. He has crawled into bed with our opposition. It is past time to find his replacement!

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, Lugar has had his job too long and needs to go! These career politicians, both sides of the isle, are really starting to show their true colors. I'm surprised Lugar didn't walk hand-in-hand with Arlan Spector when he jumped ship!

IMHO, these clowns are just trying to salvage their political career. They realize that a conservative vote for them is definately not happening.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I'm not suprised.

My new Mantra:

"Bye Bayh. Later Luger"

It time for Hoosiers to clean house... err... Senate!

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Too bad Mitch Daniels' wife doesn't want him seeking office anymore. He could go from Gov. to Senator :rockwoot:

at least I'd vote for him. Although I'd like to see him go for the whitehouse too.

mrumfelt1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Any one of us on this site would have the commonsense and judgment to vote on issues concerning our state & country. Let's start the nominating process now! Oh ya count me out as I'm considered a right wing extremest.

Top Bottom