• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheScientist

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    I fully understand why this question is a necessary component for a background check, but I feel the way it is stated is traps non-crazies with the crazies. Why should a law abiding citizen who seeks treatment for anxiety and mild depression issues related to being sick all day everyday with chronic illnesses, be subjected to either having to ask for a signature from their doctor or therapist, or a medical chart review by a non medical entity such as the Indiana State Police? I'M an adult long from needing my mommy and daddy's permission slips, and I'm a law abiding citizen, so i'm not swallowing this one very easily. If you're a raving lunatic bent on mass murdering, I would find that this question applies more to you than me. I'm not that girl, and I don't want to be put in a box with those kinds of people. I'm just trying to use my 2nd Amendment right to protect myself wherever I go. Anyone want to weigh in on this?

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    The question on the form 4473 states "Have you ever been adjudicated as a mental defective OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution?". It's asking if you've ever been adjudicated mentally ill by a judge or have you ever been institutionalized. It doesn't ask anything about seeing a therapist or psychiatrist for treatment. IANAL but I'm not sure where your concern is coming from.

TheScientist

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    Pardon me if I'm not making sense to veteran gun owners,, I'm a newbie and i suffer from brain damage that has impaired my learning and understanding processes. I am looking at the the ISP firearms Licensing online firm. Their question is: Have you ever been treated for psychiatric health care or an emotional or mental illness? I wanted to know of any of you felt this was a fair question, considering it lumps mild problems in with true psychopathy? Sorry if I irritated any of you with my ignorance

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    What do YOU think your reply to this question should be?

Pardon me if I'm not making sense to veteran gun owners,, I'm a newbie and i suffer from brain damage that has impaired my learning and understanding processes. I am looking at the the ISP firearms Licensing online firm. Their question is: Have you ever been treated for psychiatric health care or an emotional or mental illness? I wanted to know of any of you felt this was a fair question, considering it lumps mild problems in with true psychopathy? Sorry if I irritated any of you with my ignorance

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I was treated for ADHD and ASD from 7 to 19... Called ISP to ask... yep, that's psychiatric treatment, have to disclose that too.

All you really need is a simple letter from your treating physician saying you are not a danger to yourself or others.

Last edited:

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana

I agree, the question is very broad, but how else do you separate the real CRAZIES from the rest of us? The letter from the treating physician should clear up the issue.

CitizenX

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Tippecanoe
    There is no shame in receiving treatment for mental issues. You have viable questions. The mere act of choosing not to lie about them speaks volumes. It may be an inconvenience, but a short and simple statement from your professional care giver should be enough to satisfy the application process.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    II'm not that girl, and I don't want to be put in a box with those kinds of people. Anyone want to weigh in on this?

OK, I get the message, however, "those kind of people"? Then you get an attitude, "Pardon me if I'm not making sense to veteran gun owners,, I'm a newbie and i suffer from brain damage..."?

I don't know you and if I had to make a call just on his thread, I would also want more information if I was the ISP. First impressions?

Relax, if you're doing well and the doctor agrees, all will be good.

TheScientist

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    Stepping away from the question last night gave me a chance for clarity. Yes, it's a broad question, and no, I don't believe it's particularly fair. I would have an easier time answering a question about mental stability if it consisted of multiple parts. For example:
    1. Have you ever had instances where you felt depressesed or anxious?
    2. Have you ever felt like harming yourself or harming others?
    3. Have you ever had issues controlling your anger?
    And so on...
    The answer to the series of questions here is yes to #1 no to #'s 2 and 3. This series of questioning should promptly eliminate people who shouldn't even have a gun in the first place, let alone carry one. This would eliminate delays that would be needed to get authorization from your doctor or therapist or save ISP personnel from having to flip through your medical records, as they said would have to do in the FAQ section, if you didn't have authorization from your doctor or therapist.

My problem not only lies with the broadness of the question, but with the bureacratic red tape. This country is flailing. The people screaming that they are loving, civil, and peaceful are looking for ways to spread their "love," and people like me, who resist their definition of "love," are in harms way. Now one could say that I should have been armed a lot sooner than this, but for me, I wasn't comfortable owning a gun until now. I'm a little nervous of what might happen because the application process will now incur a delay.

Ideally, I would have said all this first, but my point in bringing up my medical condition and brain damage, was that I couldn't always express myself verbally (or even behind a keyboard) in a way that others could understand where I was coming from. The point was poorly made. I was hoping to start a dialog regarding this question, but I did so poorly. The answer to the ISP question is 'yes,' but a begrudging 'yes' because I obviously don't believe it's a fair question as posed.

Thanks to all of you who have answered honestly. I really do appreciate everyone's input.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was treated for ADHD and ASD from 7 to 19... Called ISP to ask... yep, that's psychiatric treatment, have to disclose that too.

All you really need is a simple letter from your treating physician saying you are not a danger to yourself or others.

Good luck with that. I have heard some docs will not write such a letter in case they were wrong down the road, opening themselves up to lawsuits if the patient snaps. Even if the doctor truly believes the patient is cool today.

TheScientist

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    Good luck with that. I have heard some docs will not write such a letter in case they were wrong down the road, opening themselves up to lawsuits if the patient snaps. Even if the doctor truly believes the patient is cool today.

In herein lies a potential problem: that the litigiousness of this society would bar me from protecting myself from it; essentially branding me with an asterik for the rest of my life for seeking help...

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Stepping away from the question last night gave me a chance for clarity. Yes, it's a broad question, and no, I don't believe it's particularly fair. I would have an easier time answering a question about mental stability if it consisted of multiple parts. For example:
    1. Have you ever had instances where you felt depressesed or anxious?

My preference would be if they only asked about what they are legally allowed to deny the license for mental illness reasons. Which would be...
    IC 35-47-1-7"Proper person"
    (11) has not been involuntarily committed, other than a temporary commitment for observation or evaluation, to a mental institution by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority;
    (12) has not been the subject of a:
    (A) ninety (90) day commitment as a result of proceeding under IC 12-26-6; or
    (B) regular commitment under IC 12-26-7;
    (13) has not been found by a court to be mentally incompetent, including being found:
    (A) not guilty by reason of insanity;
    (B) guilty but mentally ill; or
    (C) incompetent to stand trial; or
    (14) is not currently designated as dangerous (as defined in IC 35-47-14-1) by a court following a hearing under IC 35-47-14-6.

Other than those they have no legal reason to know if you've had psychiatric care. Whether it be for anxiety, ocd, depression, wetting the bed, etc.

TheScientist

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    My preference would be if they only asked about what they are legally allowed to deny the license for mental illness reasons. Which would be...

Other than those they have no legal reason to know if you've had psychiatric care. Whether it be for anxiety, ocd, depression, wetting the bed, etc.

Thanks for posting. I agree with you.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom