• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Who? You mean what maybe? Is it the barrels, is it the ammo, is it fixtures during assembly?

Likely incremental stack up. Better manufacturing techniques, plus better metals, better better technology in cutting barrels, great consistency of ammo, inter alia.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Who? You mean what maybe? Is it the barrels, is it the ammo, is it fixtures during assembly?

Likely incremental stack up. Better manufacturing techniques, plus better metals, better better technology in cutting barrels, great consistency of ammo, inter alia.
    I don't know if you get my drift. That is a very low standard of accuracy for a manufacturer. What caused the bar to be lowered to 10 yards?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Thinking Defensive gun use I guess. Sig p365 SAS with basically no sights maybe. 3" is 3 in the thoracic cavity at 10 yards. I've got a buddy who was in the army and just had the trench sights like what's used in the p365 installed on his g19. I was like ok dude whatever it's your gun. Personally I enjoy chewing up the center of the target with my SP01 and 1911s at 20+ yards.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    From what I have seen at the range, being able to maintain a 3" group at 10 yards offhand would put you in the top 20% or so of shooters...maybe even 10%.

Observational information only, no statistical science data to be given.

The only people I see trying to shoot handguns at 25 yards are noobs wanting to try out their new carry gun. They usually walk away pretty disappointed with the results. Not saying that skilled folks aren't out there, apparently they just don't come out to the range when I am there.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What are we talking about? Before a gun will be worked on under warranty? There's no UL of handguns writing specs.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    To get a handguns true accuracy you would need a vise that will hold it in the same position every shot at the distance you want to test it. Is there such a thing with that capability? Ransom rest?

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    As a competition precision pistol shooter a handgun that won't shoot 1.5" or less at 50 yards is not competitive.
    My .22 and .45 acp target pistols do thus from an Ransom rest.
    What is required for precision shooting and what us needed for defensive use are two different things.
    I have been shooting pistols for over 45 years and have rarely seen a manufacturer state an accuracy specification for their products.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    As a competition precision pistol shooter a handgun that won't shoot 1.5" or less at 50 yards is not competitive.
    My .22 and .45 acp target pistols do thus from an Ransom rest.
    What is required for precision shooting and what us needed for defensive use are two different things.
    I have been shooting pistols for over 45 years and have rarely seen a manufacturer state an accuracy specification for their products.
    I agree that match pistols and defensive pistols are apples and oranges. The question about what a manufacturer's accuracy standards probably only occurs when you contact the manufacturer and complain about the accuracy of a product.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    To get a handguns true accuracy you would need a vise that will hold it in the same position every shot at the distance you want to test it. Is there such a thing with that capability? Ransom rest?
    Yes, a Ransom Rest can give a good idea of accuracy. I owned one for many years. One certainly doesn't need a RR to get 10 yard accuracy, nor reasonable 25 yard accuracy from a defensive pistol. I don't think it is even necessary to shoot the pistol from a rest for someone with reasonable skill.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Thinking Defensive gun use I guess. Sig p365 SAS with basically no sights maybe. 3" is 3 in the thoracic cavity at 10 yards. I've got a buddy who was in the army and just had the trench sights like what's used in the p365 installed on his g19. I was like ok dude whatever it's your gun. Personally I enjoy chewing up the center of the target with my SP01 and 1911s at 20+ yards.
    Huh? My P365 will put it through the same hole in the bullseye at 40 feet, it’s no slouch.

Top Bottom