• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    The Boone County Sheriff’s Office is again proud to host world renown firearms instructor Louis Awerbuck and Yavapai Firearms Academy, LTD. (YFA) for a series of courses in August, 2008 . Courses will include: Level 1 Shotgun August 8-10, 2008; Carbine-Pistol August 12-14, 2008; Level 1 Pistol August 15-17, 2008; Level 2 Pistol August 19-21, 2008; Sub Gun August 23-24, 2008; and Carbine Instructor August 26-28, 2008.

Due to the imposition of Daylight Savings Time, we do not have a night shoot. Night shooting techniques are covered in the various course lesson plans.

Fee for the courses is $450 unless noted otherwise below.

Prerequisites are required for the advanced courses.

Further information may be obtained from the YFA website:
    http://www.yfainc.com/

There is also further information available via email by contacting Boone County Sheriff Ken Campbell at (765)483-3359 or Kcampbell@co.boone.in.us

Regards,

Ken P. Campbell
    Sheriff

"This is the law:
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain.
    All else is supplemental."
    John Steinbeck

Tuesday, March 18, 2008
    Boone County Sheriff Department is proud to host Yavapai Firearms Academy Ltd. for a variety of firearm courses this summer. (These courses will be Indiana law Enforcement Training Board Certified.) The classes are as follows:
    Submachine gun

The submachine gun course is limited to law enforcement and military personnel and those with a specific need to attend only. Contact Sheriff Campbell as to these details.

Due to the nature of the use of the gun, the course emphasizes team tactics. Topics include mode and selection of firing cycle, use of the sling, shooting from various tactical body positions, shooting on
    the move, moving targets, loading, unloading and reloading, transition to a secondary weapon and team drills.

Ammunition requirement is 1000 rounds, 800 for the sub gun, 200 for pistol

Price for 2-day course: $350

Carbine Instructor-

This course will be geared towards 70% instructional material and 30% live shooting. Topics will include: principles of marksmanship, target reading, weapon maintenance, explanation of the weapon and
    accoutrements, how to run a firing line -lead instructor and coaches, zeroing the weapon, dim light and night shooting problems (explained during daylight hours - no live night fire), transitions (including pistol draw stroke and live fire), shooting on the move,
    one-handed/weak-handed manipulation, barricades, prone, sitting and unconventional shooting positions.

Ammunition requirement: 260 carbine, 100 pistol
    Tactical Handgun - Stage I
    Designed to create reflexive gun handling, good marksmanship and tactical thinking, this course encompasses shooting from a ready position, the draw stroke and shooting from the holster, shooting from various tactical body positions, loading, unloading and reloading, malfunction clearances, shooting on the move, moving targets, dim light and flashlight shooting and weapon retention.

Ammunition requirement is 500 rounds.
    Course Fee is $450.

Tactical Handgun - Stage II
    This course starts by assuming the student is capable of performing all exercises done in the Stage I course ON DEMAND. After a brief review, the course continues by compounding the problems encountered in the Stage I class, adding such elements as target angles, vital zone definition under stress, one-handed acquisition and operation, increased speed and longer distances. Stage I Handgun is a prerequisite to this course.

Ammunition requirement is 800 rounds.
    Course Fee is $450.

Tactical Shotgun - Stage I
    As with the Stage I Handgun, this course is designed to create reflexive gun handling, good marksmanship and tactical thinking. In addition it places strong emphasis on learning what the shotgun will, and most particularly WILL NOT, do. The importance of patterning the shotgun properly is discussed at length. The course also covers ammunition selection, loading and unloading, reloading and ammunition selection while involved in a shooting scenario, shooting from several ready positions and various tactical body positions, dim-light and flashlight shooting, shooting on the move, moving targets, multiple targets and weapon retention.
    Handgun is required for the transition training. Sling is mandatory for this course. Light mount on gun is advisable, but not required.

Ammunition requirement is 400 Birdshot, 50 Buckshot and 70 Slugs, 50 pistol
    Course Fee is $450.
    Tactical Carbine-Pistol
    This course concentrates on the use of the carbine and pistol as a total complementary weapons system. Targets will dictate decision-making thought processes as they pertain to the use of both weapons in specific scenarios, and the ability to smoothly and rapidly transition from one weapon to the other will be emphasized.
    Either iron sights or low magnification optical sights are applicable. Sling is mandatory for the weapon and a light mount is advisable.
    Ammunition requirement is 400 carbine, 300 handgun.
    Course Fee is $450.

Those interested need to contact Sheriff Ken Campbell at the Boone County Sheriff Department. A one hundred twenty five-dollar ($125.00) deposit or department purchase order on file will be required to hold a seat in the class. Students are encouraged to enroll in a timely fashion as seats are limited and usually fill rapidly. Those students not affiliated with a law enforcement agency will be required to successfully complete a background check before being accepted for enrollment (See Application).
    Best regards,

Sheriff Ken P. Campbell
    (765) 483-3359
    Kcampbell@co.boone.in.us

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I'll be there Aug 8-10, getting pounded by the Ithaca 37.
    And verbally pounded by Louis.
    "Quit overthinking it, Barry! It's a gunfight, not an IRS audit!"

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Do these classes fill up quickly? I'd like to take is Handgun I, but I don't want to commit to something that far ahead yet.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'll be in carbine/pistol (yet again) for sure. I'm probably doing carbine instructor too. If I can find a subgun to borrow, I may do it too.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    "Due to the imposition of Daylight Savings Time, we will not have a night shoot."

Well, that blows.

I HATE DST.

I found the night portion of the classes to be very useful. They were short, but that was often all it took to blow holes in some theories and find out your best-laid plans weren't so hot.
    Most people don't get to shoot at night, so it could be a real eye-opener. I know I've gone into them knowing that a certain flashlight hold was "best" for me because it worked great in our darkened living room...but when the first shots were fired in the night shoot and my grip came apart under recoil, I learned something.

But what would sometimes just amaze me were the number of vision problems that only made themselves known after dark. Students who had no trouble at all, never wore corrective lenses, and could spot their bullet holes at 50 yards suddenly experienced odd vision quirks. They might find they could see either the sights or the target, but not both. Or maybe their point of impact shifted dramatically. I found it interesting that a simple change in how the light was held, changing the angle the target was illuminated, would often fix the problem.
    But you don't know there is a problem if you don't shoot at night.

I'm sure the training will continue to be excellent. If nothing else, it will allow more daytime shooting (probably a much higher round count than having the night shoot instead). But I still hate to lose it.

Stupid DST.

Besides, the period after the afternoon break and before it was dark enough to shoot gave a nice long stretch of downtime to hear some good stories!

I HATE DST!

skigun75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks

Thanks for the info. The reason I found this forum was looking for info on training in Indiana. I was interested in the Gunsite class in Lebanon in September. I may try to do both, if I can talk my wife into letting me spend that much money on gun stuff.

Has anyone been to either course (Gunsite or Awerbuck) that could offer insight?

I am very interested. I have prior training as an Army MP and prior LE, but I haven't "qualified" in a while.

Thanks again and I am lovin the site.

:draw:

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Ski this is off-topic but do you remember what key words you were searching for when you found this site. Were you using google? Thanks!

Thanks for the info. The reason I found this forum was looking for info on training in Indiana.

skigun75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Indiana
    Ski this is off-topic but do you remember what key words you were searching for when you found this site. Were you using google? Thanks!

Fenway, I was using Google and I searched "indiana firearms training". This site was several pages in, if I remember correctly. But, I knew as soon as I saw the link that I had found a new home.:thumbsup:

I assume you were looking for info to make a site a little more visible. I think that highlighting the training aspects discussed here would be a huge benefit.

I have been searching around a bit lately and ran acroos the website for Precision Cartridge. They are based in Hobart, where I live and I met the owner a loooong time ago. His site seemed to be friendly to this type of forum you have going on here. You might want to contact him about adding INGO to his links. He sells ammo to everyone, it seems. Anyway, his site is Precision Cartridge, Inc. - Ammunition in 380, 9mm, 38, 357 Mag., 357 Sig., 10mm, 40 S&W, 41, 44, 45.

I am going to tell some of my buddies about this site. I saw from the registration info that most of the users have signed up in the last couple months, so I hope it continues to grow.

PS - sorry for the :hijack:

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Has anyone been to either course (Gunsite or Awerbuck) that could offer insight?

The only Gunsite class I've gone to there is the Gunsite 123 (Carbine). But I'm taking the Gunsite 150 (Pistol) in May.
    Sherrif Ken Campbell teaches the Gunsite classes (and teaches at the real Gunsite), and also teaches an "Introduction to Defensive Pistol" that I've taken also.

I've had a few of Louis Awerbuck's classes and am taking his shotgun class in August.

Both guys know a lot of stuff, and are excellent at imparting it to students. They have slightly different ways of doing it, but they are more alike than it may first appear. Both get it done, and have diagnostic skills you wouldn't believe. It's like they can glance at you and tell what you are doing wrong.

I always use this example about Louis Awerbuck:
    We were doing a pistol drill of some kind, it doesn't matter what. He gave the command to shoot, and within the couple of seconds, I heard "Bill, bring you elbow straight back. Tom, you took that safety off a little early. Fred, you are squeezing with your bottom fingers again."
    By now, the first shots ring out.
    The guy has not only seen these things happen all across the firing line, but analyzed them, and barked out corrections before the first shots let go. I couldn't SEE them that fast if I was watching just one guy right in front of me, let alone process and give corrections. The guy is spooky.

And if Awerbuck is a 10 on that scale, Sheriff Campbell is a 9 at least.

You notice that I keep going back. You will also notice that when others respond to your question, they will be multiple class attendees also. If people go back, and go back that much, it must be good.
    I don't even have a job, but scrape up the money each year.

The 3-day Gunsite 150 runs $469 and the 5-day 250 in AZ is $1386. You are getting the same level of instruction, but don't get to play in the shoothouses. I can attend a Gunsite class and two Awerbuck classes in my own backyard (nine days of training) for the cost of one AZ Gunsite class. That's a pretty good deal.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Thanks for the info. This site is brand new so it will take us to move up the ranks of google. We are using an SEO script that has done great on some other sites I own. We should be moving up to pg 1 shortly I hope!

Fenway, I was using Google and I searched "indiana firearms training". This site was several pages in, if I remember correctly. But, I knew as soon as I saw the link that I had found a new home.:thumbsup:

I assume you were looking for info to make a site a little more visible. I think that highlighting the training aspects discussed here would be a huge benefit.

I have been searching around a bit lately and ran acroos the website for Precision Cartridge. They are based in Hobart, where I live and I met the owner a loooong time ago. His site seemed to be friendly to this type of forum you have going on here. You might want to contact him about adding INGO to his links. He sells ammo to everyone, it seems. Anyway, his site is Precision Cartridge, Inc. - Ammunition in 380, 9mm, 38, 357 Mag., 357 Sig., 10mm, 40 S&W, 41, 44, 45.

I am going to tell some of my buddies about this site. I saw from the registration info that most of the users have signed up in the last couple months, so I hope it continues to grow.

PS - sorry for the :hijack:

skigun75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Indiana
    Barry - thanks for the input. Good point about repeat attendees. I will try for both.

Fen - most of what you said was over my moderately technotarded head, but I hope your mission is a success. BTW, what other sites do you own?

And yes, its official.:hijack:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    "Due to the imposition of Daylight Savings Time, we will not have a night shoot."

Well, that blows.

I HATE DST.

All they'd have to do is move the class to springtime or later in the fall, and it wouldn't be (as much of) an issue.

Having done some low-light training, I agree that there is no substitute for it - learning the skills in the daytime is only of limited value without being able to put them into practice in an actual low-light environment.

Louis is on my short list of trainers to train with, and BCSO hosting him in my backyard every year removes the obstacle/excuse of travel time/expense. I'll have to make room on the schedule (and in the budget!) for one of his classes next year.

strongcrow

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy Central
    Louis was referred to me several years ago, and I have been following the more guns track up until now. I have the application for the Tactical Handgun l on my desk, and actually filled it out this morning, before this post appeared. How coincedental??? !! I intend to be in the Tac Handgun l class in August. Now that I've said it, I need to write the check and send in my deposit.;)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    All they'd have to do is move the class to springtime or later in the fall, and it wouldn't be (as much of) an issue.

That's a great idea, but virtually impossible with the YFA classes. August is the month he is in Indiana, and he is in Indiana the month of August. It's been that way for years, and I'll be very suprised if it ever changes. He'd have to change the rest of his annual schedule to accommodate it.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Steve- See you there.
    Be prepared for stocking up that ammo, since shotgun shells eat up the room! I filled two of those Sterlite plastic storage bins (about 70 liters of space), but I always bring more ammo than called for.

Yes, for Louis to change the schedule would throw everything off. For one thing, he has a certain route he takes around the country and follows it reasonably close each year. Like Rhino said- To change a the date to fit sunset here would throw it off somewhere else.
    And, I don't think he likes cold weather and schedules accordingly to try to avoid it. That eliminates spring and fall here as there is a risk of a cold snap. That's all just a theory though.

We DID have a night shoot in the Gunsite 150 last weekend, even though it didn't get dark until almost 9:30. I didn't think there would be one in that class, so maybe there is a tiny chance yet.

Top Bottom