• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    Atlanta Conservation Club shoots IDPA on the first Saturday of the month. It will be on Practiscore and you must sign up that way. They don't allow walk-ons. The match usually has a big turnout and is great fun.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sign up and go shoot if you are going to ACC. A great group there and if you let them know its your first, they'll take you under their wing and help guide you along.

Do you know the equipment limitations/needs of IDPA?

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Silver Creek Conservation Club also shoots first Saturday. Might be a easier trip if you are on the South Side.
    New range is North of Henryville in Underwood just off of 65.

mxxkffg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 15, 2011
    southside Indianapolis
    Sign up and go shoot if you are going to ACC. A great group there and if you let them know its your first, they'll take you under their wing and help guide you along.

Do you know the equipment limitations/needs of IDPA?
    I was planning on using a G17. I have a kydex IWB holster, IWB mag holster and a Kore belt. Eyes and ears. Would I need more than three magazines?

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    IDPA if I recall correctly only allows one mag in the gun and two on the belt. Loaded to ten rounds unless something has changed. I would check their website and it will give an approximate round count for the match, but should always have 300 with you.

I shot up at ACC several years back before changing employers and will second what CameraMonkey stated that were a great group of guys at that time.

It really is a fun time, and it sounds as though you have all you need, but may need to have something as "cover" such as a shirt tail or vest to draw from under.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    IDPA if I recall correctly only allows one mag in the gun and two on the belt. Loaded to ten rounds unless something has changed. I would check their website and it will give an approximate round count for the match, but should always have 300 with you.

I shot up at ACC several years back before changing employers and will second what CameraMonkey stated that were a great group of guys at that time.

It really is a fun time, and it sounds as though you have all you need, but may need to have something as "cover" such as a shirt tail or vest to draw from under.
    This. you just need a cover garment. It can be a shooting vest, jacket, or unbuttoned casual shirt. I've seen it all. Ive also seen guys wear untucked tees when its hot. As I recall you can print, your gun just cant be seen if you hold your arms directly out to your sides (like a T), which causes most cover to rise an inch or two.

And knowing that crew, VERY few would give you a hard time/deny you if you didnt quite have everything perfect as a new shooter.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and the crew at Wildcat on the 2nd saturday of each month is also a great group. A lot of the shooters there also shoot at ACC.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I was planning on just wearing my normal clothes and using what I wear when carrying concealed. From the videos I’ve watched that seems to be ok rule wise.
    You’re good, appendix is ok, lights are ok, ssp is now 15 rounds, 10 for CO/ESP/CCP, just enough to hide the gun counts as cover. 3 mags is all you will need.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You’re good, appendix is ok, lights are ok, ssp is now 15 rounds, 10 for CO/ESP/CCP, just enough to hide the gun counts as cover. 3 mags is all you will need.
    Crap. Missed that update to the rules. Last year sucked for me. Literally every first or second saturday was either :poop: weather or life got in the way so I didnt get to shoot.

Hope to get back into it starting in April.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    ACC as said shoots IDPA on the first Saturday of the month year around, weather permitting and this month had 65 shooters. Wildcat shoots the second Saturday April through I think October and about the same turnout.
    Both clubs will have a "new shooter" briefing before the match. Don't miss it or you won't get to shoot and it includes experienced shooters if it is their first time at that club.
    IDPA is a lot of fun and you don't need a high dollar race gun to compete and the rules try to accommodate those of us older and less agile shooters. I plan to shoot as long as I can get to the matches and still hold a gun safely. Made a lot of friends in the 15 or so years I have been shooting and they are a big part of why I wi keep coming back. Jim.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Remember that’s plus 1 for the first mag!
    So ssp is 16 first mag 15 in the others
    Co/esp/ccp is 11 first mag 10 in the others
    Bug would be 7 then 6

Op your Glock 17 could class as ssp or esp depending on modifications
    Ssp is stock service pistol
    Esp is enhanced service pistol if you’ve changed the trigger or added a mag funnel your in esp

Oh and welcome to your new habit! Kicking idpa is worse than heroine or crack! (Or so I hear!)…and if you’re ever in the Evansville area Red Brush rifle range (Newburgh) shoots the first Saturday and West Side Sportsman’s club shoots the third Saturday

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    How many mag holders will I need? One or two?
    I run two singles. its easier to position them independently.

Typically you only need 1 reload. But if the SHTF and your 2nd mag poops the bed*, that extra mag will come in handy.

I've only had to use the 2nd spare mag once.

*edit: Or you are a bonehead and miss repeatedly. (guilty)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom