• NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Brand-So many good ones out there, hard to recommend one

Caliber-5.56 for your first, hands down

What will this be used for? Plinking? Carbine classes?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm with Nate...see what you can find locally, and in 5.56 chamber. You can run .223 in it, but the general consensus is you don't want to run 5.56 in a .223 chamber.

I'd say go with a 16" barrel. I have a heavy barrel Midlength gas system that I really like. But, the M4 profile and gas system length are the closest match to what many of our troops are using.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    A "plinking" AR, whatever that is, may not make a good fighting carbine. Get a good fighting carbine and you can "plink" with it too.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I got one at the 1500 for a good price from these guys Class3Sales.com and I love it. No problems and looks great. Have you thought about 5.45? It is cheaper and if you are just shooting target it is going to make about the same size hole on the paper. I would suggest flat top as it leaves a lot of room for change such as carrying handle if you want or optics with BUIS. Just my 2 cents

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    I got one at the 1500 for a good price from these guys Class3Sales.com and I love it. No problems and looks great. Have you thought about 5.45? It is cheaper and if you are just shooting target it is going to make about the same size hole on the paper. I would suggest flat top as it leaves a lot of room for change such as carrying handle if you want or optics with BUIS. Just my 2 cents

The only bad thing about 5.45 is its very hard to find. Plus not quite as cheap as it used to be.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    The only bad thing about 5.45 is its very hard to find. Plus not quite as cheap as it used to be.

Really? That sounds right, I had just heard from a lot of people that it may be a better way to go. When I bought my AR I was given the option of 5.45 or 5.56. I chose the 5.56 because I had recently gotten out of the Marines and had some extras from this adventure to use on it. I knew it was a very common round and if :poop: hit the fan I would be easier to find. Do you know how much the difference usually is per 500 rounds? are we talking pennies, dollars, tens, etc?

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    Bulgarian and Russian surplus used to be 119.99 for 1080 rounds, but that ammo has pretty much dried up. Its still cheaper, but very hard to find. AIM has Silver Bear right now. 750 rounds for 173.75, plus shipping.

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    what about reloading the 5.45, is there equipment and supplies out there to do it that would make it even cheaper?

As far as I know, everything 5.45 has been imported in, and has been steel cased, so I would guess reloading is out of the question. Thats one thing to think about too. If Obama signs an order banning imports, 5.45 will be no more.

Top Bottom