• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sempreobie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Boone County
    Have had this rifle for a few years and I can shoot "decent" groups at 50 yds with open sights. For challenge, and fun sake, I'm interested in adding a 1-4 or red dot in the price range of $100-200 that will perform well anywhere from 10-100 yds. I've read quite a bit about the Vortex Crossfire II and Strikefire, but would like to hear from folks who have experience with either optic on this, or a similar platform.
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22.jpg

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What do you use on your full-power AR?

I have a Bushnell Holosight on mine. Basically, it is an EOTech without the extra armor. It works very well, and the reticule is the same as the EOTech that I have mounted on my main AR. I recommend using something similar to your main training weapon for training purposes.

The 15-22 is a great gun...I find myself grinning for days after range time with it.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If your max budget is 200 bucks you better stick to the red dot. Mounting on the AR platform (what you have as far as the scope is concerned) costs 89 bucks, and does not leave room in your budget for the scope.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I removed my Bushnell Holosight, tried a Vortex 1.5-4x, took it off and ssettled for a RDS. Mine is just not accurate enough to warrant anything better. It's fun but shoots 6+ moa. One of these days I'll try the barrel nut torque check.

sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    Weaver Kaspa 1.5-6x worked great for me. Can be had for about $150 most places. Nice glass and illuminated reticle. Eye relief was a little finicky at high magnification, but a nice scope overall. I felt it was good value.

sempreobie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Boone County
    Primary arms! Also you can go cheaper on scopes because you don't have to worry about recoil!!! Lol

The recoil comment is right on, and I have looked into Primary Arms. Do you think they compare to Vortex with regard to quality and warranty? Part of the thought process here is that the item may also be used on another rifle, or sold, on down the line without losing majority of the investment.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    The recoil comment is right on, and I have looked into Primary Arms. Do you think they compare to Vortex with regard to quality and warranty? Part of the thought process here is that the item may also be used on another rifle, or sold, on down the line without losing majority of the investment.

Primary arms has a sale going on right for a vortex crossfire 2 and a mount for $150.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Primary arms! Also you can go cheaper on scopes because you don't have to worry about recoil!!! Lol

Just because it's a 22 doesn't mean you have to buy cheap optics for it. If you're going to spend a lot of time behind something, might as well stick good glass on it

That being said, under $200 with a mount, it's not the best glass, but Tru Glo offers a 1-4 tactical scope with a forward mount for under $130

Or one of these with a good mount, Aero Precision, or even the Nikon M223 mount, should be right around $200

Primary Arms 1-4X 24 Illuminated Scope PA14X - Primary Arms

Red dot, for the price, the Bushnell TRS25 is pretty solid

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I have a 15-22 and have had both Primary Arms Red dot and Vortex Strikefire on it. They both work well on the rifle.

I am going to recommend you go with Vortex though and get it from Alan. He will match other site's prices and gives great service.

sempreobie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Boone County
    Purchased a Vortex Strike Eagle and Crossfire II from AA Optics. Alan was very informative as expected. Currently have the Strike Eagle on the 15-22 until the full power arrives. Will zero and practice with it next Friday. In the meantime, I'm planning to mount the CFII on an RWS 34 .177 air rifle. Someone commented that "Airguns can damage a rim-fire scope". Any truth to that???
    15-22 with Strike Eagle.JPG

Attachments

• 15-22 with Strike Eagle.jpg
      15-22 with Strike Eagle.jpg
      1,016.5 KB · Views: 7
    Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Purchased a Vortex Strike Eagle and Crossfire II from AA Optics. Alan was very informative as expected. Currently have the Strike Eagle on the 15-22 until the full power arrives. Will zero and practice with it next Friday. In the meantime, I'm planning to mount the CFII on an RWS 34 .177 air rifle. Someone commented that "Airguns can damage a rim-fire scope". Any truth to that???
    View attachment 46535

I said that, and very true.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I hope this question isn't too wide open, but here goes anyway. With regard to the budget, in your experience, what percentage of the cost of a rifle is "typically" spent on optics?

As an average (if there is such a thing) folks spend the same amount on the scope as they do the rifle.

The exception's being if you bought a 50 dollar rifle you cant expect to pay 50 bucks for the scope, and if you bought a 8k dollar rifle you wont necessarily spend 8k on the scope. Something to keep in mind, 99% of rifles are more accurate than the shooter. The scope deals with the biggest variable in accuracy "human error".

sempreobie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Boone County
    I said that, and very true.

Oops, I missed that during our conversation. Talking with an uncle today and he mentioned it. Thanks for clarifying before I made a mistake. I noticed this CFII Q&A on the vortex website earlier,

[FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]"Can this scope be used on an air rifle?"
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=inherit !important]
    • [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]With proper torque on the rings you should have no issues, however the parallax on the optic is set at 50 yards which may be farther than an ideal. I recommend looking towards the Diamondback series with an adjustable objective."[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    Misleading??

Last edited:
    Top Bottom