• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Dawg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Evansville
    I am thinking about getting an automatic 9mm. I went to watch a 3 gun competition last weekend and one of the competitors let me run a round at the end of the day for helping to reset the stages in between shooters. It was tons o fun. I hear the CZ-75 is a popular gun in the sport, and is generally considered to be high quality / easy to shoot. I am looking for an easy to use gun primarily as a range toy. Would this make a good intro to three gun pistol? Is this a platform that I could upgrade to be a monster if I decided to shell out the cash one day? Should I start with a base model and upgrade it myself, or get a match grade gun?

Feel free to tell me more than I have asked.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Be hard to go wrong with any 75 variant. Although the general consensus now is to buy one with an omega trigger as they are easier and cheaper to modify, which you will at some point, it just happens that way. I have a P-09 which I think would make an outstanding competition gun.

llh1956

CZ Wizard
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Lawrence, IN.
    I would suggest a CZ SP-01 Shadow which is a great out of the box weapon then go to Cajun gun works web site and check out all the goodies to turn it into an over the top shooter. My Shadow has all the goodies with a 2 1/2 lb. SA and 5 lb. DA and is as smooth as silk!! My friend you should have a tall glass of the :koolaid:

The Dawg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Evansville
    Possibly stupid question, what is the benefit of starting with a match grade gun and having it polished & upgraded over a cheaper model? (example SP-01 Shadow vs. 75B Omega) Is it purely a nicer barrel?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I think if you are starting with a pure range gun, you might want to consider just a plain SP01. They are the foundation of the Shadow and Phantom. You can upgrade them later if you like or you can leave them as is and they are very nice guns. Just my :twocents:.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    A 75B, be it traditional or Omega, is designed to be a combat handgun. Although they perform pretty well they are not designed to be a target pistol.

varkman

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    Jeffersonville
    I have wanted a CZ-75 for years....I say go for it! Get a basic 75 and you can always add stuff later on, or sell it later (they will always be worth something) and upgrade, good luck whatever you do!

The Dawg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Evansville
    Right now I'm leaning towards a SP-01. I am trying to sell some other hobby equipment I have been procrastinating on. If that works out I might just send it to Cajun Customs right away.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Right now I'm leaning towards a SP-01. I am trying to sell some other hobby equipment I have been procrastinating on. If that works out I might just send it to Cajun Customs right away.

Just be careful to research what is and is not legal for 3 gun competitions. I know some shooting sports, like IDPA, find some of the upgrades illegal for use in the sport. The SP-01 is very popular in a lot of competition shooting. The 75B is a great gun as well, but if I were buying for competition, it would definitely be the SP-01. Good luck and enjoy the CZickness :D

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    You can save some money and time having the work done here.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I shoot USPSA, and I bought a 75BD. So far I have installed the DA upgrade kit, lighter recoil spring, and FO front sight. Next will be the hammer. My opinion, spend $500 and upgrade it as you see fit. It's more about your skill, rather then your gun and gear. In terms of shooting sports. Something to think about.

The Dawg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Evansville
    I know that at some point better equipment will make you better at whatever you are doing. When it comes to shooting I am no where near there. I am just looking to see if this is a hobby I want to go balls out with. Even if it is not, I've been looking for a 9mm for a year now, but just didn't have an excuse to get one.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I know that at some point better equipment will make you better at whatever you are doing. When it comes to shooting I am no where near there. I am just looking to see if this is a hobby I want to go balls out with. Even if it is not, I've been looking for a 9mm for a year now, but just didn't have an excuse to get one.

In that situation I would get a 75 Omega. Cheaper to get, cheaper to upgrade.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

I see too many people in the sport spend thousands on guns and gear, and forget about actually learning the skills to be a competent shooter. Not saying that is you. Just food for thought.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Make sure you handle several of the CZ's to see which is right for you. The 75B is a bit too large for me, so I ended up preferring the P-01, which is comparable in size to a Glock 19/23. A couple of my friends, who have larger hands, love my 75B with the hogue rubber grips. Everyone is different and what feels best to one person feels different to someone else.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom