• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Here is a little info I found about what you need to do. I don't thing you are looking for a DYI project but it give you an ideal of what you need to have done. Someone that plates should be able to de-plate. Check with the Plater's.

Mix the ammonia nitrate from an instant cold pack (make sure it uses ammonium nitrate, not urea) with enough water to nearly fill an old crock pot. I keep the crock pot turned on low for about an hour or two (it will take the solution a while to warm up partly due to the reaction of the ammonium nitrate with the water.)
    Then it is a simple matter to electrically deplate using a regular automotive battery charger. Connect the part to be stripped to the positive pole and the negative pole to a piece of copper sheet with at least as much surface area as the part to be stripped. Make sure both the piece of copper and the piece to be stripped are submerged in the warm solution and not touching each other. Turn on the battery charger (seems to work best with 6 volts-running it on 12 volts tends to overload the charger and cause it to shut off.) Most parts take about 45 minutes to an hour to strip. This method will dissolve solid nickel front sights, but if you are planning on blueing the gun, you would want to replace it anyway. If the volume of solution in the crock pot lowers due to evaporation, just add more water. If the part being stripped is only partly submerged it will tend to pit where it sticks out of the solution.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Here is a little info I found about what you need to do. I don't thing you are looking for a DYI project but it give you an ideal of what you need to have done. Someone that plates should be able to de-plate. Check with the Plater's.

Mix the ammonia nitrate from an instant cold pack (make sure it uses ammonium nitrate, not urea) with enough water to nearly fill an old crock pot. I keep the crock pot turned on low for about an hour or two (it will take the solution a while to warm up partly due to the reaction of the ammonium nitrate with the water.)
    Then it is a simple matter to electrically deplate using a regular automotive battery charger. Connect the part to be stripped to the positive pole and the negative pole to a piece of copper sheet with at least as much surface area as the part to be stripped. Make sure both the piece of copper and the piece to be stripped are submerged in the warm solution and not touching each other. Turn on the battery charger (seems to work best with 6 volts-running it on 12 volts tends to overload the charger and cause it to shut off.) Most parts take about 45 minutes to an hour to strip. This method will dissolve solid nickel front sights, but if you are planning on blueing the gun, you would want to replace it anyway. If the volume of solution in the crock pot lowers due to evaporation, just add more water. If the part being stripped is only partly submerged it will tend to pit where it sticks out of the solution.

Thank you.

I'm not opposed to trying it myself. I thought that if there was someone in the lower half of the state that does it, I would got that route.

I'm no stranger to working on guns or refinishing them, so this might be a really good option.

Thanks for the reply.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom