• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RandyN2075

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    South of Greenwood
    I'm not one to go knocking on Farmer's doors. I don't care for Atterbury and don't have a dog. Does anyone have a place they could recommend for rabbit hunting?
    I haven't hunted rabbit in over 20 years. I remember walking along my Grandfather's corn fields and fence lines growing up. Now, living in Johnson County I don't know of a good place to go. Any help would be appreciated.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I can't help you with a place, but I will tell you what places are best.

We have the most luck on abandoned railroad tracks. You need at least 3 people to do it right, but the more the better. We normally have a person walking the outside edge on both side, and at least one person up on top walking down the middle. The guys on the outside walk slightly ahead of the guys in the middle. The rabbits will flush and run right to the guys in the middle. They'll either run away, or run right into them. When the guys in the middle get close to the bag limit we switch. Last year we got 6 guys together and hunted about 3 miles of abandoned tracks total one day. In total we got 26 rabbits. One small section of track that crosses the corner of our property was the best. It is only about 100 yards long but we got 4 rabbits out of it that day, and 2 more a week later.

joshennis84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    Glendale, and Jasonville, Jasonville has basically no shooting lanes mowed so you'd definitely need dogs. Glendale is actually pretty good. Plus they have put and take pheasant hunts sometimes. I think they are done with that now. But you could pay to hunt pheasants, flush a few, shoot your two, then go bunny hunting on another piece of the property when it warms up and they are sunning on the hillsides. Great fun.

gunrunner0320

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Anderson
    we have been going to wilber wright in new castle. we have had some luck with runing some there. we have 5 dogs that we use to hunt with, they have a paper there on the wall of the office, that shows the number of rabbits killed and theres been some were around 58 or 68 killed there this year .

SSilvers

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    I'm over by New Castle, if you want to go with dogs hit me up sometime. Always glad to take someone out with the hounds.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    A friend of mine lives about 15 minutes from Glendale and runs his dogs there quite a bit. He claims it;s his favorite piece of public ground for rabbits. And I know he's pulled alot of rabbits out of there.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Just to back up the old railroad tracks and fencerows/creek bottoms. Anywhere there is thick brush surrounded by thin areas, the rabbits will hunker down for the winter.

Me and some friends took 18 rabbits in about 6 hours on Saturday.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    giant-rabbit3.jpg

sealteamtango

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    I live in MT. Vernon. IN Dont try hovey lake. I been 5 times and walker miles and miles only to shoot one rabbit however the crow hunting is second to none. me and my son sat for ten minutes and killed five

maarlborogto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    rabbits are starting to become scarce around here because of the coyote population if you find a place with rabbits also hunt the coyotes less coyotes= more rabbits

Top Bottom