• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peloe16

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Cincy
    I have read many threads, gone and held many guns, and shot a bunch too. Just want some more opinions i guess. I want to carry it, but im a student so i cant carry it to class, and my work doesn't allow it so I wont be carrying it every day. however, i do not live in the best area, so it will most likely be carried at home and kept in my car.

Price im looking at is around $500
    Im looking for a 9mm because right now, i'd like to shoot it more for practice and its a lot cheaper.

My likes: I like xd's AND glocks. I messed with, but never shot an HK p30 and i ended up really liking the grips on it, they were very fitting to my hand but those are a little out of my budget. I also really like the single/double action of that gun. I dont really know others with a single/double besides walther p99 and the new baby eagle (same gun).

Thanks for the input and happy shooting :ar15:

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    Try (or at least handle) as many as you can. Ruger makes some nice 9mm models. So does Beretta of course. Then there's Kahr and S&W too. There's a lot of guns out there.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    :+1:For the XDsc9. Great little gun for carry, and when you use the fullsize XD9 mags in it(16+1) with the grip extension its very fun to shoot and easy to hold. Grip is a little small with low-cap mag(10+1) but still fine.

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    XD's and Glocks are good and both have quite a following. Also check out the M&P line from Smith & Wesson, very nice pistols with good ergonomics. If you are not stuck on polymer you should also check out the CZ pistols. The CZ's offer a few different configurations, some with safeties and some with decockers. As a rule, they are accurate and reliable. If polymer is what you want, they do have the new P-07, which looks sweet, but I have no first hand experience with that one.

There are a lot of "good" pistols out there in your price range, the problem is the amount of choices can be overwhelming. Good luck.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Can't go wrong with an XD or a Glock. M&P's are great handguns as well. HKs are too expensive for me(however they are also fine firearms), and I can do just as well in my opinion with a glock or xd.

I carry an Glock 23.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    If you want something to shoot comfortably at the range and at the same time have it as a carry gun. I would say a Glock 19. That was what I got as my first semi automatic and first 9mm. If you find the 19 to small then a 17.

If Glocks aren't your thing, then I recommend a Beretta 92FS they aren't easy to conceal or for me anyway...but they do make an excellent beginner gun. Easy to use, simple manual of arms, field stripping and cleaning is a breeze, and it has minimal recoil. One other thing to add is mags are plentiful and priced reasonably.

If you don't like any of those a few more I would say to think about too would be a Sig Sauer P228, H&K USP, or a H&K USP compact.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Glock 19 and Glock 26 are excellent handguns, but I am a Glock guy. Not everyone likes them, you say you like the way they feel in your hand though so you may be good to go. There are so many great firearms to choose from and you have a pretty good budget so you will surely find what you want. Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

Also, you said it will be in your car. Please consider how you plan to secure it better than just the glovebox or under a seat. There are many affordable options out there to lock it up even better in your car. Just would hate to see something bad happen. Dont want your first handgun to get stolen, and dont want someone that shouldnt have a gun get ahold of one.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I have read many threads, gone and held many guns, and shot a bunch too. Just want some more opinions i guess. I want to carry it, but im a student so i cant carry it to class, and my work doesn't allow it so I wont be carrying it every day. however, i do not live in the best area, so it will most likely be carried at home and kept in my car.

Price im looking at is around $500
    Im looking for a 9mm because right now, i'd like to shoot it more for practice and its a lot cheaper.

My likes: I like xd's AND glocks. I messed with, but never shot an HK p30 and i ended up really liking the grips on it, they were very fitting to my hand but those are a little out of my budget. I also really like the single/double action of that gun. I dont really know others with a single/double besides walther p99 and the new baby eagle (same gun).

Thanks for the input and happy shooting :ar15:
    I am a Hi Point owner myself, and I am happy with it. Though not everybody would be. One thing is for sure, you are starting in a price range where you should be able to be happy with your first purchase! I would advise you to get you hands on as many different pistols as you can Feel the balance and all. Then if you find a pistol you think you might want to try come back to the forum and see if anyone will let you shoot theirs. Welcome to taking the plunge. I know you are going to like it!

Nsw550

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Zionsville
    Why aren't you looking at the M&P? I went into the store looking for a XD or Glock, held a M&P and the rest is history. If I had to do it all over I would buy the M&P again. Its ergonomics are undeniable and recoil is very limited for such a light weight pistol. Right now S&W has a promotion going on too for $50 rebate or 2 free magazines. Made in the USA (Glock and XD are not) and top of the line lifetime warranty service out there. I'm thinking of selling one of my Glocks for a new M&P.

peloe16

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Cincy
    Why aren't you looking at the M&P? I went into the store looking for a XD or Glock, held a M&P and the rest is history. If I had to do it all over I would buy the M&P again. Its ergonomics are undeniable and recoil is very limited for such a light weight pistol. Right now S&W has a promotion going on too for $50 rebate or 2 free magazines. Made in the USA (Glock and XD are not) and top of the line lifetime warranty service out there. I'm thinking of selling one of my Glocks for a new M&P.

I am also looking at those. I forgot to add them in my post. I like how they feel and the price is certainly in my range. I have just never shot one but I know a few people who have them, so I need to get to the range with them.

Top Bottom