• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I have owned a M&P 9mm FS for about 3 years now. Installed a Apex DCEAK and I shoot it Ok (need more practice) but now I am looking for something that is a little smaller for the option to actually carry. My mind keeps bouncing from model to model to find what would work best. I have thought of getting a 9c so that I could use my current mags but it isn't much smaller than my 9fs. I thought a Shield would be a good easy carry but I would lose a few rounds compared to a double stack. All of the CZickness discussion has gotten me interested as well. I thought a P-07 would fit the bill but it is a little wide. I checked out P-07 duty at local Gander Mountain (only retailer in FW) and was impressed. I would like to be around $550 or less and just looking for suggestions.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Right at this very moment I have a Sig P320sc 9mm in an IWB holster. It conceals and carries nicely and still shoots well and is a double stack.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just go with a Shield. They are $400 and work right out of the box. If you want a gun with more capacity carry the full size M&P. Lots of discussion on INGO but ultimately carrying a handgun is about compromises. You can either go with a larger, easier to shoot handgun with capacity or a small easy to carry and conceal gun. A Shield and full size M&P give you both options.

The compact guns like an M&Pc or Glock 26 are really like Swiss Army knives. They can do a lot of things and great to have if you can only own one. But in the end they don't hide as well as a single stack subcompact or fill the role of a service size gun completely.

Then take the remaining $150 and buy a good belt and holsters.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Find a way to shoot each gun your thinking about (and maybe a few you haven't) before you buy, if at all possible. Some guns look great on paper but for whatever reason, you just can't shoot it well.

Personally, I can carry my double stack just as easy and my single stack.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    You mentioned CZs. Try out a RAMI. I see you're NE, I'd be willing to let you try out my RAMI if you're interested. Wrigleys on Lima road in Fort Wayne has a good selection of CZs, ZX usually has a couple as well.

PM me if interested in checking out a RAMI.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    I have been looking at getting a new 9mm compact, specifically a SA double stack. The problem is I have a PT-111 G2 that I bought for $200 and it does everything I need it to do so I have a hard time justifying spending twice what I bought my 111 for on another 9mm compact. . It fits my hand good, hits what I point it at, and has always went bang when I pulled the trigger. They may not be looked upon by a lot of people as a great gun but I have no complaints about mine.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have been looking at getting a new 9mm compact, specifically a SA double stack. The problem is I have a PT-111 G2 that I bought for $200 and it does everything I need it to do so I have a hard time justifying spending twice what I bought my 111 for on another 9mm compact. . It fits my hand good, hits what I point it at, and has always went bang when I pulled the trigger. They may not be looked upon by a lot of people as a great gun but I have no complaints about mine.

If it does what you need then carry it. Save the coin.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    One of the best 9mm carry pistols available today is the CZ 75B Compact. It's a solid, do-all gun that's easy to carry and conceal, is accurate and is a fun gun to shoot. You can find them in various flavors of safety, decocker, steel or aluminum frames. Out of the box, the triggers are pretty good, but with tuning they become fantastic shooters. The P07 gives pretty much the same experience, but with a poly frame to save carry weight. My preference is the steel framed guns, but everyone is different and the guns can be had in a configuration that works for just about every taste.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    With a good belt and holster you can most likely carry what you have.. Get in a CC class and you might be surprised at what you can do with your current pistol.

Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    As has already been mentioned, the Shield is hard to beat for this role. I love the CZ P07 Duty. I have one in 40 (an early version), and it is a great gun, but it is not a good CCW choice, as least for me. Of course, there are many people who can conceal a full-size 1911 or G17, but I think the typical person is more likely to carry something it is lighter and less cumbersome. Unless someone is truly committed to carry all the time, without exception, a gun/system that is not convenient is going to stay in the safe sometimes. For me, the Shield shines because it is both small and easy to shoot. I love the lightweight revolvers for this role, but as many have observed, a snub-nose lightweight revolver is not a beginner's gun, it is more of an expert's gun because of how difficult it is to shoot accurately under stress. I don't love the trigger feel or ergonomics of S&W autoloaders, but they are certainly reliable and accurate. The remark made earlier about carry guns automatically being a compromise is absolutely true. I love the 40 S&W cartridge, but in smaller guns, my accuracy really suffers with the 40. I am not a fan of 9mm, but in a small carry gun, it seems like the best overall option.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    For another option in the same genre as the shield, check out the PPS M2. Not a big fan of the M1, but the M2 is quite nice.

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    I have a bodyguard and pt111 g2 to carry. I got the 111 as a backup but ended up as my goto. I am not an expert, nor do I claim to be, but if the piece feels good and hits when needed then that is the one for you. --"One Man's Opinion!"

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have ruled out the P320 after reading this https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/412644-major-sig-p320-disappointment.html but that could have been a fluke and not the norm. The all metal CZ's seem a little over my price range so I may just end up getting a Shield after all. If I go with Shield I will leave more in my pocket to save up for the next gun purchase.

I love mine. Let me know if you get anywhere close to Anderson/Pendleton & we can try it out at fcvcc.org.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Shield's external safety is a deal breaker. Maybe there's a version without?

I love the P-07. I've seen them go for $400 and it's a steal at $450. I also like the P320 and P250, compact of sub. G26 also belongs on any short list.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Shield's external safety is a deal breaker. Maybe there's a version without?

I love the P-07. I've seen them go for $400 and it's a steal at $450. I also like the P320 and P250, compact of sub. G26 also belongs on any short list.

Shield comes in both a safety equipped version and non-safety. Depends on what role I was putting it in whether I would recommend a safety or not.

G26 is a nice little all around gun.

Top Bottom