• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Maybe for durability the conflict type of chest rig mandates certain materials that would make it suck for hunting.

Dunno, have not used either, not even a vest for turkey hunting.

Velcro and nylon too noisy.

Being even more picky.......OD green or tan, not camo.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I dunno LOL.
    Just checked Sitka Mountain Optics harness. That w a couple mag pouches might work.
    No familiarity w any of it.

Buds w turkey and predator vests, w or wo seats, from what Ive seen aint gonna fit my run n gun style. Want less, mounted higher, so a few pockets on a chest rig/harness would work.

So was wondering if I could find a tactical chest rig thats quiet for hunting use.
    But perform OK in either tactical or hunting. Since my yote rifle one of those mag type rigs.

Hmmm, I run 10 and 20's. Since prone w Harris bipod 9-13".

One rig to do both.

May not exist. Proly all tactical stuff for 30 rounders.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    List your loadout and I’ll dig around. Off the top of my head, the only ones I can think of either have flapped quiet close pouches like products from Parashooter Gear or Barrel & Hatchet:

Since you said you use 10s and 20s, that might be a hard one to find quiet pouches. Everything’s pretty well made for 30 rounders. Options will be pretty well dependent on your ancillary equipment and desired number and type of mags.

OIIIIIO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    What about the Chest rigs from Hill People Gear with the molle on the front?

Sorry, didn't see them referenced above....lol

sell33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2013
    Delaware County
    I came here to say check out HPG kit bags also. Recon or Heavy recon with your choice of mag pouches added should be perfect. They are pretty quiet, zippers only.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    @Hookeye

If you’re looking for a combat-ish chest rig for 10/20 rounders, that’s a pretty hard find since, like you said, most are built around standard 30 round mags. If you work mostly prone, you’ll do pretty well to take a cue from sniper loadouts and probably do well with a front closure chest rig, so that you can unzip it and lay prone. That way you’re not laying on the rig, causing discomfort and hindering your ability to access your items. If I was looking for a similar rig, I’d build my own with a zip front chest rig, and most likely Esstac shorty KYWI mag pouches.

In my case, it’d be an AR platform DMR with LPVO glass on top. I’d go chest rig, four KYWIs with 20s, GP pouch for notebook, writing tools, headlamp, multitool, etc., probably a water bottle pouch, maybe a spare pistol mag.

You could build a pretty good rig just from eBay with a surplus FLC, Tactical Tailor, or Eagle chest rig and the requisite pouches for +/- $150.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    @Hookeye

If you’re looking for a combat-ish chest rig for 10/20 rounders, that’s a pretty hard find since, like you said, most are built around standard 30 round mags. If you work mostly prone, you’ll do pretty well to take a cue from sniper loadouts and probably do well with a front closure chest rig, so that you can unzip it and lay prone. That way you’re not laying on the rig, causing discomfort and hindering your ability to access your items. If I was looking for a similar rig, I’d build my own with a zip front chest rig, and most likely Esstac shorty KYWI mag pouches.

In my case, it’d be an AR platform DMR with LPVO glass on top. I’d go chest rig, four KYWIs with 20s, GP pouch for notebook, writing tools, headlamp, multitool, etc., probably a water bottle pouch, maybe a spare pistol mag.

You could build a pretty good rig just from eBay with a surplus FLC, Tactical Tailor, or Eagle chest rig and the requisite pouches for +/- $150.
    And if you want to use a front-closure for hunting, you'll probably want to get one with a nylon zipper rather than MILSPEC buckles, since it's hard to muffle the distinctive "click" when you open or close them.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I dunno LOL.
    Just checked Sitka Mountain Optics harness. That w a couple mag pouches might work.
    No familiarity w any of it.

Buds w turkey and predator vests, w or wo seats, from what Ive seen aint gonna fit my run n gun style. Want less, mounted higher, so a few pockets on a chest rig/harness would work.

So was wondering if I could find a tactical chest rig thats quiet for hunting use.
    But perform OK in either tactical or hunting. Since my yote rifle one of those mag type rigs.

Hmmm, I run 10 and 20's. Since prone w Harris bipod 9-13".

One rig to do both.

May not exist. Proly all tactical stuff for 30 rounders.

Finally remembered to take this photo for you. Based on what you've described, would something like this work more for you? Quite lightweight and keeps the load balanced well.

In my experiences with this type of rig, they work well on the outside of a larger winter jacket. A belt is much easier to make adjustments for accommodating seasonal gear. Camelbacks work great with it as well. It is quiet and very easy to don/doff in the field.

*This unit is stripped of any belt or attachment as seen*

Front
    IMG_20230226_181613008.jpg
    Back
    IMG_20230226_181620005.jpg

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven