• ...and so much more!
  • Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    My understanding of ATF rules is that any transfer of a firearm across state lines must go through a FFL in the state of the transferee's residence. Several people have told me that if I sell a long gun to an Illinois resident, the FFL is not required because Illinois is an adjoining state and that the FFL transfer is only required for the sale of a handgun between these two states.

I believe that this is false and I could not find anything on the ATF site that supports it. Does anyone have additional knowledge about this that I am missing?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My understanding of ATF rules is that any transfer of a firearm across state lines must go through a FFL in the state of the transferee's residence. Several people have told me that if I sell a long gun to an Illinois resident, the FFL is not required because Illinois is an adjoining state and that the FFL transfer is only required for the sale of a handgun between these two states.

I believe that this is false and I could not find anything on the ATF site that supports it. Does anyone have additional knowledge about this that I am missing?
    IIRC an FFL can sell a long gun to a resident of an adjoining state. A non FFL holder cannot.

BMWRich

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yes, transfer is completed through a FFL.
    Easier and cheaper through the “Buyers” home State FFL.

I’ve done this by selling to an Indiana resident.

No different if you were selling or purchasing over the internet from a business or private party…in a different State.

I have purchased firearms from out of (my home) State.

Don’t get confused by the ……
    *Neighboring States* Gun Laws and Rules, WHICH can become confusing if reciprocity is NOT BETWEEN Neighboring States, such as Indiana and Illinois.

Last edited:

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    The new Illinois law that has a TRO barring enforcement because it is unconstitutional changes the way all firearms are bought and sold in that state. As of July first all transfers must go through an FFL. When the state legalized pot everyone was told users could still buy and sell guns they would just have to buy as private sales so no 4473 form would be involved. Now depending on what happens to this part of the law those people are screwed.
    You must show ID when you buy legal pot from a dispensary and they record it so you are on record as being a pot user. Jim.

Top Bottom