• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    As some of you already know I enjoy starting threads that get a little controversial. So....

Trigger Pull:
    What do you prefer: long, short, heavy 1st, heavy all the time,
    heavy first and light second, same all the time, light all the time.
    strengths/weaknesses. Lets hear it!

My Two cents:
    I prefer the same pull all the time!
    The Glock platform is excellent. It's not overly long. Long enough for safety, but short enough for accuracy (plus the reset is very short if you learn how to use it) and the pull stays the same.

I also prefer the 1911 platform with SAO. Same trigger pull every time.
    I think consistant trigger pull is the easiest for beginners to learn and yet offers the best results in combat shooting scenarios when things come into play like: nerves, stress, multiple targets, safety, and target acquisition.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I also prefer the 1911 platform with SAO. Same trigger pull every time.
    I think consistant trigger pull is the easiest for beginners to learn and yet offers the best results in combat shooting scenarios when things come into play like: nerves, stress, multiple targets, safety, and target acquisition.

My choice is the Single Action Only in a semi auto platform gun.

Preferably 1911 or Hi Power. The only other gun pattern that has a trigger that I consider excellent is the CZ 75 platform, in the variant that allows for cocked & locked carry.

DA/SA is a failure and probably leads to more missed shots and stray bullets than can ever be counted. Striker fired guns with a consistent trigger are a far better option than any gun with an operation that alters trigger pull.
    318-06-04.jpg

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I prefer a trigger pull that's the same every shot. Which is why I carry God's Gun. That's right, I mean a Glock! :rockwoot:

That's right, I said it! :popcorn2:

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    The 1911 has as close to combat trigger heaven as I can think of. I like a short ~4.5# single action only pull. Anything lighter and it is getting too light for carry use. I am not against others (I think the M&P has the best trigger pull for a polymer striker fired gun), but prefer the 1911 trigger to most others.

I am actually not bad with a Beretta, CZ, or SIG DA/SA, but can't shoot a DA revolver worth a crap.

ETA: The P7 also has a great combat style SAO trigger, though not as good as a 1911.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have raccoon-like hands with short, pudgy fingers, which make a 1911 with a short trigger the best option for me. My carry guns are all about 3 to 3.5 lbs. If I owned a competition-only gun, it would be well under 3 lbs, but probably not much below 2 lbs. That's about where I like it.

If I have to shoot/carry a double action gun, I prefer 3rd generation Smith & Wesson triggers. The double action is among the smoothest, and the single action trigger reset is the shortest you can find on a crunch'n'ticker or any non-1911 (almost as short as a 1911). The new short reset Sig Sauer triggers might be similar, but I've never tried one.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The new SRT triggers on the Sigs are very close to the same reset that a Glock has.
    Does that mean they are not quite as good as a Glock?

I think there are many of us who consider a Glock to have the best of the striker fired triggers, but we still think it is lacking. So while we might grudgingly tolerate a Glock trigger, anything less would be even more of a compromise and be, therefore even worse.

If I can't have a SA trigger like a 1911 or Hi Power trigger then I'd take a LDA trigger from Para. Its the best of the non-SA triggers I've tried.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Does that mean they are not quite as good as a Glock?

I should have prefaced that with "in my opinion". I'm sure some would think the reset is better, some worse. I think it is a very nice reset, much shorter than that standard Sig reset which I don't care for.

However I generally dislike DA/SA triggers anyway so the SRT, while an improvement over the standard reset, isn't enough to sway me to the DA/SA camp. I much prefer the Glock trigger which is the same pull every time despite its shortcomings in other areas.

I mean let's face it, nothing is as nice as a 1911 trigger. :thumbsup:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    My first two guns, a Beretta 92F and a SIGPro are both DA/SA. I put up with the long DA pull to have the short, crisp SA pull that comes next. In fact, when shooting at the range I would go ahead and cock the hammer back to make it SA first.

But, now that I own a Glock 20, XD45 and M&P .40, I'm a true believer in the LDA or whatever you call it. I like the trigger the most on my M&P, but both the Glock and XD are nice.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    My first two guns, a Beretta 92F and a SIGPro are both DA/SA. I put up with the long DA pull to have the short, crisp SA pull that comes next. In fact, when shooting at the range I would go ahead and cock the hammer back to make it SA first.

But, now that I own a Glock 20, XD45 and M&P .40, I'm a true believer in the LDA or whatever you call it. I like the trigger the most on my M&P, but both the Glock and XD are nice.

Just to clarify things a bit. The "LDA" trigger is unique to the 1911 design guns and Para Ordnance in particular. It stands for LIGHT DOUBLE ACTION. The terms is really a confusing term because the Para LDA guns are actually Single Action guns that are cocked but carried with the hammer in a nearly down position. The LDA mechanism does not cock the gun, but only draws back the hammer. The trigger pull weight feels lighter than its actual weight and the trigger breaks earlier than one would expect, yielding an easy to use light but longer trigger pull than a traditional Single Action trigger pull. It is consistent throughout and in non-scientific tests by Para has been proven to be an easier trigger to manage than striker fired guns. Para has taken LDA guns to LEO ranges, swapped guns with officers who qualified with their duty guns and found that the officers were able to shoot faster and more accurately with the LDA system.

A Striker Fired or Safe Action or similar type of trigger is different than the LDA trigger. It is best known on the Glock pistols but also employed by the M&P and other similar guns. This type of trigger is not a true DA type of trigger, which is probably why the Safe Action triggers are so popular. I know of no gun that is a true DAO that actually has a reasonable trigger, while there is no doubt that the Safe Action trigger on a Glock is at least very respectable. The Glock type Safe Action trigger also resolved the problems that shooter experienced with the DA/SA triggers which are characterized by a heavy long first shot and then a light short pull on subsequent shots. The DA/SA design is generally considered a failure in terms of shootability, despite the fact that they actually work.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I've dry fired Sig DAK triggers (Sigs LDA like trigger), as well as H&K's LEM trigger (also similar to the LDA) both are very easy to use. However like everything else, training is important. Both the DAK and the LEM require a long reset, basically a full trigger stroke for every shot fired. I have dry fired the Para LDA once or twice at Target Sports. I do not remember what the trigger reset was like on that pistol.

I think proper fundamentals negate the need for a "good/great/exceptional" trigger. A good trigger press on a 15lb monster double action results in a good hit. a good trigger press on a 2oz long range rifle, also results in a good hit.

To each His/Her own, but I advocate practice and training over equipment.

Top Bottom