Locked and Loaded: Are Guns & Ammo The New Gold?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bhvostal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Locked and Loaded: Are Guns & Ammo The New Gold?

"The threat of a U.S. double dip recession coupled with this summer's debt debacle in Washington - and the subsequent failure of the so-called "debt supercommittee" - has many ordinary Americans looking at gold as a safe store of value. However, there's another commodity that historically has risen in price along with gold - and is potentially more useful in the event of a global crisis: Ammunition."

Locked and Loaded: Are Guns & Ammo The New Gold? - Daniel Doherty

~ Brian

stryguy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Indiana
    Gold is the new Gold.

I don't have to justify ammo hoarding by pretending it's going to make me money or save my life. We all know from Mad Max that it's gas and our bungee cord fighting skills in the thunderdome that will count should the SHTF.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    I've been saying something similar for awhile now but I don't buy ammo in prep to barter. I just like to shoot and practice and try to keep well ahead of my usage.

In the event of something on a national or global scale, gold will likely not be the every day currency for the average person. Silver will have it's place in day to day trade for larger items, but if you have Item A and someone has Item B and you both need what the other has, then a deal is made. All sorts of common things will be useful in trade including skill and armed security.

If there is a protracted collapse/crisis and ammo availability vaporizes thru normal supply routes (gun shop, gun show, internet, wallyworld, etc.) and there's massive demonstrations, looting, robbery, etc., then ammo values could actually exceed gold. I think the trigger point is food shortages but I could be wrong. Eating is a sport in the US if you haven't noticed. :popcorn:

All that said, an unopened spam can or full ammo can of any centerfire round will be worth it's weight in gold or more. Even .22LR will hold a solid value.

But remember this: "break a deal, face the wheel". :D

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    If guns and ammo become a commodity in trade it's going to make for some interesting transactions in a SHTF. "Here's the rifle, the ammo is over on that other hilltop".

longhuntr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can remember my grandparents talking about living thru the great depression. At that time you could go in any little country store and buy just a couple shotgun shells, and a partial box of 22s if that was all you needed.I know my grandpa shot out of a single box of 12 gauge hunting loads for several years.He didn't believe in wasting ammo.Of course he was trained by the Marines, so he didn't believe in missing either.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    How many 5.56x45 for a laying hen? How many 9x19 for a horse? They'll be of more immediate value than precious metals. How many food raiders can you kill with an ounce of gold?

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    There is a saying "Gold, grub and guns will be the coin of the realm". I can easily get beans with bullets but it gets more iffy trying to get bullets with beans....Beware of your priorities. Ammo will certainly pass gold in value.
    Our gubermint just declared war on the citizens of Amerika by passing and signing the new NDAA bill into the unconstitutional law of the land. I am ready and have been for a long time.
    There are certain quite common commodities that will be very valuable in an anarchist situation. Stock up on the right ones and either be well off or a prime target. Adjust defensive capabilities as needed....John:ar15:

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Yeah, and believe me you would want to make sure someone had your back while doing any bartering with someone too. There would be people killing and robbing each other all over the place.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I have guns and ammo. In a truly desperate situation of social breakdown, THOUSANDS of other people, both good and bad, will be just as well armed , if not more so, than I am. How many of them could I shoot before they shoot me? Probably not enough, in the long haul.

I am more concerned about shortages of other commodities in such a situation, especially medical care and medication. The are certain medicines I must have in order to stay alive. If they become nonexistant or impossible to get, I am dead within a very short time, no matter how much ammo I have stockpiled..........

Uh. Oh. Just noticed my post count!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom