• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cl4p-tp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Kokomo
    I'm looking for a FAL builder in central Indiana. I bought a parts kit yrs and I'm just now getting around to it. Any suggestions?

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I do know one guy that has all the tools and does a very good job.I will check to see if he is interested in building for an individual. Professional FAL smith's
    that are worth trusting are few and far between, don't know any in this state I'd trust to build. PM me I can maybe steer you to the right guy.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I do know one guy that has all the tools and does a very good job.I will check to see if he is interested in building for an individual. Professional FAL smith's
    that are worth trusting are few and far between, don't know any in this state I'd trust to build. PM me I can maybe steer you to the right guy.
    Would he be interested in installing a barrel? I have everything and I would like to swap out a barrel.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    FALs takes a special vise to hold the reciever, don't know if AllenM has one or is willing to invest in one. It may also need a different locking shoulder to get the headspace right. It's not just a remove and replace deal. Very picky on timing.
    I had no clue about all that.

Wow. Sounds like a tough situation.

Almost glad I never bought a FAL now.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    FALs takes a special vise to hold the reciever, don't know if AllenM has one or is willing to invest in one. It may also need a different locking shoulder to get the headspace right. It's not just a remove and replace deal. Very picky on timing.
    Yep and another problem child are HK G3. Very expensive to replace a barrel on them as well and have it done right.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    There was a guy in the Carmel area that built them. He did several for me a very long time ago. Steve was his name, had a prosthetic leg. I don't remember his last name. Very nice work. Don't even know if he is still alive.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Len of Len's gunshop in South Bend did one for my brother years ago.
    Now, before anyone says " but it's Len!" He did a very good job on his, and if I'm not mistaken, he builds the 1919's he used to have at the shows.
    He's just selling reloading supplies now, so I don't know if he'll build anything or not.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My dad sold FAL parts at gunshows, and had the tools ( think he may have done one for himself ). Sold that stuff when he passed.

Met a couple professional builders through him. There are or at least used to be, a couple around.

I know sometimes a bbl may need a couple thou taken off to avoid over stress when put in receiver. So a lathe required. Dont want to crank.em in too hard

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    If I was in the market to have one built, there's only one guy that I'd send it too. I'm not saying there isn't anyone in Indiana that can or is capable of doing it.
    I'd send mine to Arizona Response Systems. I've seen his work and I guarantee you won't find one better.
    Mark Graham, goes by Gunplumber on the Falfiles. Might try contacting him. I know he's been busy moving his shop and I don't know when he will taking on any new work. He fixes the ones that Dsarms can't.

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    "I know a guy" He is just outside Lafayette and knows what he is doing. I think he is taking work.
    I will check. cl4p-tp and dog1 pm me for phone #

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I've tinkered with 3, the two from kits were on Coonan receivers. If you have the tools it's not too bad of an assembly. The barrels weren't bad at all. I may have used a small shim but can't remember. I had to slightly adjust the ejector cutout on the barrel as it wasn't clocked correctly manufacturedslightly off i reasonsed). I have pictures of the build somewhere... That made me nervous at the time but it wasn't a big deal. They all have shot 100%. Setting heads pace is done by various size pins. I bought a bunch of pins and set accordingly. That made me nervous at the start of the project too and was a non issue. Gunplumber does great work and is a fanatic. He has lots of great info out there.

Top Bottom