• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Picked this up from a fellow INGOer today. Llama Extra, chambered in 9mm Largo, made in 1941. It'll make a nice companion piece to my Destroyer carbine. :)

IMG_2408_zps9781f07b.jpg

IMG_2409_zpsb7c41670.jpg

IMG_2410_zpse83e4600.jpg

Here it is next to my full size Springfield for a size comparison...

IMG_2412_zpsba592704.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Largo or Luger? It looks like it has 9mm markings on the slide...but I'm not any kind of expert.
    Largo, aka Bergmann aka Bayard. It's a 9x23 (not the same as 9x23 Winchester though). Almost identical in size to the 38 Super, but it's a lower pressure round than the Super or the Winchester. Supposedly it will fire 38 acp as well (not 380 acp). Here's a little blurb about this pistol... Llama "Extra"

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ammo pics... Orange box is supposed to be non-corrosive but I'm going to treat it as if it is.

IMG_2413_zps1b385111.jpg

IMG_2414_zps857a68b8.jpg

IMG_2415_zpsaf2e15ee.jpg

And here's the 9mm Largo next to the 9mm Luger.

IMG_2416_zpse47407d5.jpg

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Yeah, you beat me to that one. :) Nice Score!

I am still hoping to find another Astra 400 though. I just want to use up some of this darn ammo and the Destroyer is only so much fun...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Dang! I woulda met you too... :)
    Well I went to Martinsville, so might have been a bit of a drive. The Destroyer is a hoot to shoot! What a fun little rifle... The Llama had some issues with the firing pin. When I got home I disassembled it and took out the pin and blasted the channel with brake cleaner and cleaned and lubed it, so hopefully that will help, but if not, I think I may need a new spring. The rear of the pin doesn't protrude from the back of the slide as much as it should when it's cocked I don't think, resulting in light or non-strikes. Most times it worked, but it would fail to fire intermittently, which is why I'm hoping it just needed the gunk cleaned out of the channel. Sweet gun when it worked though! Also got to shoot an Astra 600 today. Now I want an Astra in either Largo or 9mm Luger.

Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Leave me an Astra 400 please. :) I just want one. That's the Largo version, you want a 600.

Honestly, today I would have made the drive. I don't work and so sometimes I am all for a drive then some shooting.
    Try Sarco for parts, they have a lot of Spanish gun parts or they used to at least, them or Numrich.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Leave me an Astra 400 please. :) I just want one. That's the Largo version, you want a 600.

Honestly, today I would have made the drive. I don't work and so sometimes I am all for a drive then some shooting.
    Try Sarco for parts, they have a lot of Spanish gun parts or they used to at least, them or Numrich.
    No luck with either Sarco or Numrich, but I'm wondering if a firing pin spring for a 1911, either in 45 or 9mm might fit. Hopefully my cleaning took care of it, but if not then that will be my next step.

I'll be getting my gate pass for Martinsville at the end of this month, so there will be opportunities coming up! :)

The Astra 600 would be more practical, that's for sure. I was surprised at how nice it shot! Just looking at pictures of the Astras, I thought it would feel awkward with that odd looking grip angle, but it actually felt great. Accurate little bugger too!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Who still sells 9mm Largo ammo??

I got some from Sarco, and then the pistol came with some as well as part of the trade. Haven't found any reloadable commercial stuff yet, but I understand that I can use 38 Super brass and I do come across that at ranges from time to time. I think Starline makes new brass for the Largo as well.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Starline makes 9 Largo brass, it is what I use when shooting reloads. I don't think I have ever found reloadable commercial ammo here in the USA but there is probably a European ammo maker making it. 9 Largo is still popular over the pond.

I have a friend in Spain who might also be able to send a firing pin, I will email him. LMK when you are going to do some shooting and if you do it in the afternoon so I don't have to get up at Oh Dark Thirty to make the 3 hour drive, I will see you there.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    One has to admire the Arms production from the country of Spain, Small little Country, Mostly a Neutral from the 30s on.. And they went out of their way to have a vibrant arms industry. Where as they Out and out copied guns Like the The LLAMA 1911 clone and the EL TIGRE Winchester Clone They also made some unique Firearms as well. And then they made do by modifying older rifles into fr-7 & Fr-8. They have so many unique firearms and just to boot the quality was pretty good (More so in the Older weapons).. Not to mention they produced a unique ammo they they used for 70+ years.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Love the LLAMA Doggy.. Looks like the wood on the grip of the LLAMA matches the wood on the Destroyer.. and where as I am not a light wood fan.. That is nice color.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I got some from Sarco, and then the pistol came with some as well as part of the trade. Haven't found any reloadable commercial stuff yet, but I understand that I can use 38 Super brass and I do come across that at ranges from time to time. I think Starline makes new brass for the Largo as well.
    Thanks.:)
    I haven't fired my Llama Extra since the mid 70's.
    I was shooting some .38 ACP that came with it when I bought it from my Cousins widow in 1968.
    Since I'm low on the .38 ACP stuff I had a competent gunsmith check it over and he told me that "In a pinch" .38 Super could be used but the higher pressure round could accelerate wear and tear on the gun.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, I took the firing pin spring out of my 1911, and they appear to be the same size, although the one in the Llama is a lot shorter, which I think is the problem. I think I'm going to just order another 1911 spring and try it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks.:)
    I haven't fired my Llama Extra since the mid 70's.
    I was shooting some .38 ACP that came with it when I bought it from my Cousins widow in 1968.
    Since I'm low on the .38 ACP stuff I had a competent gunsmith check it over and he told me that "In a pinch" .38 Super could be used but the higher pressure round could accelerate wear and tear on the gun.

Well, everything I've read recommends against using the Super because of the pressure, but the brass is fine. The surplus is so cheap (19 cents/rd. for corrosive from Sarco), that I'm not going to be in a big hurry to start reloading anyhow. If I do, it will probably be for defensive HP rounds.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Well, I took the firing pin spring out of my 1911, and they appear to be the same size, although the one in the Llama is a lot shorter, which I think is the problem. I think I'm going to just order another 1911 spring and try it.

Did you try putting the 1911 spring and see what happens????

Top Bottom