• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    We were in no danger of an AWB under Trump. We’re in grave danger of it now. Those are as good as facts.
    Of all your posts in this thread, this line is the only part I would push back on. Other than this, we're in agreement.

Trump is untrustworthy. If he suddenly thought he was only an AWB away from winning the election, I think he would have come out in favor of it.

And I actually don't think we're in danger of an AWB now. Six justices on SCOTUS seem to understand the text of 2A. SCOTUS appointments were the reason we were all supposed to vote for Trump in 2016 even if we didn't like the rest of his shift to the Republican agenda. I think that backstop is in place. I'm certainly not complacent, but I don't think 50 plus the tiebreaker in the Senate is really enough to get it done right now, and I don't think it would stick even if it did get passed.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Of all your posts in this thread, this line is the only part I would push back on. Other than this, we're in agreement.

Trump is untrustworthy. If he suddenly thought he was only an AWB away from winning the election, I think he would have come out in favor of it.

And I actually don't think we're in danger of an AWB now. Six justices on SCOTUS seem to understand the text of 2A. SCOTUS appointments were the reason we were all supposed to vote for Trump in 2016 even if we didn't like the rest of his shift to the Republican agenda. I think that backstop is in place. I'm certainly not complacent, but I don't think 50 plus the tiebreaker in the Senate is really enough to get it done right now, and I don't think it would stick even if it did get passed.
    In the 80s we also thought the Hughes Amendment would never last. And yet here we are.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012

I'm sorry, but reassurances coming from the bunch that rationalized Biden to get rid of Trump because the Senate would stop any big gun regs ring pretty hollow right now.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Which is part of what continues to baffle me about the undying love for Reagan on this forum.
    To be fair, Reagan was stuck between a rock and a hard place. He vetoes the bill, and the whole FOPA goes away. The FOPA provides a lot of very valuable protections. The Democrats added the Hughes Amendment as a poison pill trying to prevent the whole bill from passing. Put the blame where it belongs - squarely on the Democrats, and Charlie Rangel in particular.

If Reagan vetoed the bill you'd be harping about that instead.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, for as glorified as Reagan is, even when he was in California, he was no true friend to gun owners.

Personally, I think he aligned quite a bit as a Fudd. The assault weapons stuff was not something he saw value in.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

What about the plan to pack the court? Is six gonna be enough then?
    For crying out loud. They have been telling us their plan the whole time, why does no one believe them? :ugh: :wallbash:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well, for as glorified as Reagan is, even when he was in California, he was no true friend to gun owners.

Personally, I think he aligned quite a bit as a Fudd. The assault weapons stuff was not something he saw value in.
    That doesn't change the position he was in. Note, I'm not disagreeing with your opinion.

Reagan's big win was actually dragging us out of the depressing doldrums of the Carter years. People were proud to be Americans again.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Unless the UN commandeers a navy, an air force, and create a coalition of mostly third world states that have magically been outfitted with top tier training and equipment, I doubt we need to worry about them.
    You will hear on occasion some members fantasize about killing UN peacekeepers, and not fully understanding how the armed wing of the UN works, and how improbable it is that they would ever set foot on US soil with the purpose of subjugating the populace.
    Nah, they'll be Cubans and come in on Russian transports disguised as commercial flights.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    John Sullivan is trending on twitter. Turned in by his brother. CNN interviewed him after the riot. Clearly was there to cause violence by his own videos.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

Reagan specifically said "There's no reason for anyone to carry a loaded gun on the streets of America today."

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That doesn't change the position he was in. Note, I'm not disagreeing with your opinion.

Reagan's big win was actually dragging us out of the depressing doldrums of the Carter years. People were proud to be Americans again.
    Indeed. :)

Carter was a "safe" choice after Nixon. A decent man who probably didn't have the right skills for the role.

I see parallels in the election of Biden, too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom