• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Well, I've gone and done it again.. I broke a belt.

Here's my problem. My belts see basic use, but the common downfall is that they get wet. Really, really wet. I've got a lot of water rescue and stuff in my past, and my wife works with pools/lakes/rivers as part of her job, so I'm around water a lot. I couldn't tell you how many times I went in the lake or pool while clothed and carrying last summer..

But water, especially chlorinated water, is bad for leather. Holsters have Kydex, which can work for me there, but belts have been tricky. And this morning, the leather around the buckle just gave up, probably due to water damage. I have a good leather belt for nice occasions (where water won't be a factor) but I've been pondering what to do for the rest of the time..

So I've been thinking about getting a Liger Belt. Seems to come from (or be really closely affiliated with) Maxpedition. Waterproof, dressy enough for khaki but decent enough with jeans or shorts. Should support holster weight okay.

Anybody got one?? Care to give your impressions??

Anyplace in Indiana STOCK these? I've seen pics but nothing in person, and I'd like to support a "local" shop rather than buy online, if I can..

Anybody got one they can comment on??

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I mail ordered mine. I'm not sold on the Liger belt. It is good if you are not going to sit much, unless your waist is exactly cylindrical. When I am sitting, the belt "poofs out" at the top behind me. Because the belt is a manufactured band, rather than leather, it will not really bend. My leather belts will turn into a slight curved shape, to accommodate this. I'm guessing this will vary with body type.

The gripping inside surface does work. However, this makes threading the belt through your loops while wearing the pants difficult. I generally put the belt in the pants before I put the pants on.

The belt buckle takes a little to get used to. It isn't as easy as a conventional belt, but not bad once you get used to it.

The advantages: The belt isn't stitched, just cut out of a manufactured belt. I've been steadily loosing weight, and since the belt end tucks behind the belt, I can punch more holes into the belt and cut it off if I need to shorten it.

It does handle wear very well. I think it would handle your requirements pretty well with regards to the environments.

I ordered mine through Botach Tactical. I would not do that again. They seemed cheaper than others, but are really annoying to deal with. Didn't have any stock, just ordered it in. Didn't have the version I wanted, so I got Silver and Black, instead of Black and Black.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Thanks for the input, sir! I've heard many negative experiences from Botach in the past, so I'm looking elsewhere.. just hoping to find someone local to take my $$$...

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I have no personal experience with the Liger, but I too have been curious about it, as I've always heard positive things about them. Thanks to indyjoe for the review.

Another option, although not as "dressy" would be to go with a stitched nylon-type belt, such - Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC or 5.11 Tactical Belt plus FREE SHIPPING & GEAR. 511 Belt, 511 Trainer Belts, 5.11 Belts, 5.11 Tactical Belts .

I have the 5.11 version and like it very much. Water is not an issue, as it dries very quickly and does not degrade its integrity.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I've got 3 different repelling belts, black, tan and green.. they're good for if I KNOW I'm gonna be outside for the day. I can't wear them to work, though :(

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    if you just want a belt that will last forever, well at least 16 years and going get one of these.Nocona Braided Nylon Western Belts like I said I have had it for 16+ years and it still looks brand new. I guarantee you'll love the function and durability! if you don't I'll buy yours and give it to my wife.(oh geez it sounds like I'm a salesmen)

I'm in no way affiliated with any company or site it just realy is the best belt I've ever owned. oh yeah I forgot you don't have to buy from that website I didn't know the name of the belt(my sister bought it for me) the site was just the first I found it on. you should be able to get them at western wear stores.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Do you wear this while carrying?

yes it is the only belt I wear. they are flexible but very solid, the evidence being I have worn the same belt for over 16 years and it looks about brand new.

IMG_5274.jpg

IMG_5275.jpg

the only damage is where I originally melted the end to size it right other than that it's just dirty.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom