• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Seems silly. I've already considered the fact that the straw is just a straw. It's good to have a container of some sort to hold the water. That's obvious. Sure, the water bottle w a straw built in is better. This review was written like the reviewer was giving us some great wisdom that we couldn't figure out ourselves.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Does it make you made that I pointed out the flaw in life straw? Is everyone that butt hurt about it? Use it if you like just know what it does and does not do.

If I am going through the trouble of using a water filter I want one that will filter anything I come across...

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Does it make you made that I pointed out the flaw in life straw? Is everyone that butt hurt about it? Use it if you like just know what it does and does not do.

If I am going through the trouble of using a water filter I want one that will filter anything I come across...

I'm not sure who you're asking, but I'm not mad at all. It's good to hear a variety of opinions on different products and the reviewer linked to above makes a few valid points.

I have several Life Straws in various bags. I also keep a container for carrying and boiling water in all of them too. I also don't plan to visit any third world countries anytime soon, so the Life Straw meets my needs and is light and portable.

For others, a more robust option might be better.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis

dont take that article for gospel.
    Lots of errors in it.

If you want a filter that will take care of all contaminants, you'll need a station wagon to carry it.
    And a good fuel supply to boil the water before or after mechanical and chemical treatments.

If you follow the article, you'll be open to criptosporidim at a minimum.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Life straw would be ok if you had a container to store the water in and added a tablet or two to it and had time for it to work. I like the thought of it but bad water will sideline you pretty fast and a shtf situation is no time to be sidelined!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'm a believer in the Lifestraw. I've used it in everything to beaver infested waters in this area to places in Mexico that would undoubtably give a gringo " Montezuma's revenge". One place that comes to mind was a "restaurant" near the Mayan village of Coba that in reality was more of a shack without exterior walls and had a palm thatched roof. I'll never forget sitting down at the table and seeing wild chickens eating from the buffet table and stray dogs eating from the floor :laugh: Needless to say, I survived, and the best part was I didn't even walk away from the trip with an upset stomach. On a previous trip to Mexico down near Puerto Vallarta, I learned my lesson the hard way and was sick for a few weeks. A friend of mine is Hatian and was present during the earthquake in 2010, and says he owes his life to his Lifestraw.
    I will say though, there are many products out there that work as well and are easier employ. I'm a big fan of the Sawyer mini filters that screw down onto a disposable water bottle, and have had great luck with my Steripen. I also usually pack along a Kleen Kanteen with a handkerchief or shemagh stuffed inside to filter out visible particles and debris. My Platypus filter has also been a fantastic performer when I've used it in a base camp type scenario, but is not nearly as portable as the other said items.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    I don't understand your negative remarks; I was honestly thanking you for the heads up. I guess I'll have to rethink my handling of water in the wild. No insult intended.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I don't understand your negative remarks; I was honestly thanking you for the heads up. I guess I'll have to rethink my handling of water in the wild. No insult intended.

Sorry.

I will say I have spent some time this year educating myself on water and have learned a lot, there is a lot more to it then people think and it is the one thing you need to survive as you can go day/weeks without food but must have water. So many different options out there and so many different ways to treat it. One thing I have learned is you just about have to be able to transport and contain the water as you need to be moving in shtf and you also need to be able to treat the water while contained as it takes time to dissolve tablets.

Top Bottom