• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Are there any laws that would prevent me from shooting my pellet gun in my backyard? Not shooting into the air, but against a backstop or dirt.

You would have to look into local ordinances to see if firing a projectile where you live will get you a fine. Most cities have ordinances prohibiting the "launching" of any projectile (including slingshot, bow and arrow, pellet rifle, etc.) inside city limits.

I would guess that outside of the city limits you will be ok, but you should probably check with the county to be sure.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Nothing in state law that would prohibit that so long as you are shooting in a safe direction. Most cities have ordinances against shooting inside city limits, and counties can have ordinances against it as well. Worst case scenario would be a ticket for an ordinance violation.

FWIW No one is gonna know without watching you as long as you are being safe.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Be conscious of the visual. If “Karen” is your neighbor she will see a “Gun” and call the police. In her mind there will be no distinction between an air gun and a weapon of war.

I have been known to dispose of small furry animals in my back yard with a 22. The trick is one shot one kill. Neighbors may hear the initial shot but not know what it was so they will listen for it again. If you don’t make a second shot they will shrug it off. Not an issue with the air gun although repeated range shots may garner unwanted attention.

Whatever you do make sure you have safe backstops.

JLB768

Plinker
    Jan 29, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have neighbors on three sides, all of them know I shoot my air rifle at a trap, they're cool with it. I'm also outside city limits, but within a spacy subdivision. My trap consists of two 3/4" 4x6 100lb horse mats stacked, in front of them is a box stuffed with old pillows. I've also got a quiet rifle, and doesn't disturb them.

51309558009_0a320375b1_k.jpg

tbhausen

Master
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I believe if my neighbors were cool with it and the rifle is quiet enough, I’d just do my own research rather than posting about it here :shady:

It’s going to vary from locale to locale.

Eric94

Marksman
    Feb 6, 2022
    Georgetown
    I think my town made the rules up to interpretation so that they can get you in trouble.
    My property is next to the woods so I don't see what is wrong with air guns.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220403-154027_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20220403-154027_Chrome.jpg
      267.7 KB · Views: 13

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    Elkhart, and no just outside city limits.
    You can try looking up county laws and ordinances, or just call the sheriff's department.
    Since you do not live in the city, city of Elkhart ordinances have no validity.

Your subdivision could have regulations concerning airguns. Consult your HOA (if there is one) for a current copy of them.
    Whether they are enforceable could be another question. I am not qualified to make that decision.

xwing

Expert
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    There is no state law against it. There is no state law against shooting a rifle, handgun, or shotgun in your backyard either. I do that all the time, as do others on here who have enough land or backstops to make sure the fired rounds don't leave your property. Many towns / cities do ban firing air rifles, but you have to pull up the specific towns municipal ordnances to find out. If you are outside of city / town limits, then you have to read your county ordinances (which also apply if you are in a town, but usually are much less restrictive than town ordinances).

[EDIT] I see post #8 linked to the correct ordinances for the OP and answered the question. But the above process is true of all locations.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    FWIW, City of South Bend ordinance:
    Sec. 13-58. - Discharging firearms prohibited; exception.
    (a)
    No person shall shoot any revolver or pistol of any description, shotgun or rifle which may be used for the explosion of cartridges, any air gun, gas-operated gun, spring gun, pellet gun or instrument made for the purpose of throwing or projecting missiles of any kind by any means whatsoever, whether the instrument is called by any name set forth above or by any other name. [8]
    (b)
    This section shall not apply to any legally appointed officer in the discharge of his duty.

Hkindiana

Master
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    (a)
    No person shall shoot any revolver or pistol of any description, shotgun or rifle which may be used for the explosion of cartridges, any air gun, gas-operated gun, spring gun, pellet gun or instrument made for the purpose of throwing or projecting missiles of any kind by any means whatsoever, whether the instrument is called by any name set forth above or by any other name. [8]
    (b)
    This section shall not apply to any legally appointed officer in the discharge of his duty.
    Sounds like a kids toy rocket launcher would be a no-go too

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    (a)
    (b)
    Mishawaka city code was very similar.

I'm in out of there now. I'm outside of the city limits of Osceola too.

Top Bottom