• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    In Tn. I used to buy explosive tipped ammo manufactured by National Ammunition. Basically its was a WW silver tipped hollow point with a primer seated in the hollow point and painted red on the end. It was very expensive $15 for 10 rounds. I made some of this years ago for 9mm by using a 90grain hollow point (that was actually for reloading.380 auto) and seating a large rifle primer into it making the weight right around 120 grains. Then I just followed the Sierra loading guide to work up the powder charge. I tested this ammo alongside the factory made stuff and it worked the same. My question is would this ammo be illegal here in Indiana? Incidentally I don't currently have any of this ammo but I couldn't find any online so I was considering making some more and wanted to make sure it was legal first...JC :ar15:

Last edited:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    In Tn. I used to buy explosive tipped ammo manufactured by National Ammunition. Basically its was a WW silver tipped hollow point with a primer seated in the hollow point and painted red on the end. It was very expensive $15 for 10 rounds. I made some of this years ago for 9mm by using a 90grain hollow point (that was actually for reloading.380 auto) and seating a large rifle primer into it making the weight right around 120 grains. Then I just followed the Sierra loading guide to work up the powder charge. I tested this ammo alongside the factory made stuff and it worked the same. My question is would this ammo be illegal here in Indiana? Indecently I don't currently have any of this ammo but I couldn't find any online so I was considering making some more and wanted to make sure it was legal first...JC :ar15:

CLICK HERE ---> Devastator Ammunition :cheers:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    They have some cool stuff.^5 .. Kinda pricey though lol...JC

"kinda"??? You, sir, have a gift for understatement if you call almost $2.00/round for .22LR "kinda pricey". :spend: :eek:

What did it cost you to make this stuff yourself, and how did you keep the large rifle primer in place in the HP?

(I don't have a reloading setup, but it sounds interesting even just from an academic standpoint)

TIA for the info!

Blessings,
    B

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    TRIVIA

Bit 'o trivia for 'ya...... It was the .22LR Devastator that Hinckley shot President Regan and Jim Brady with. The round that hit Ronnie did not explode, but the one that hit Brady in the head... did.
    :cheers:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    "kinda"??? You, sir, have a gift for understatement if you call almost $2.00/round for .22LR "kinda pricey". :spend: :eek:

What did it cost you to make this stuff yourself, and how did you keep the large rifle primer in place in the HP?

(I don't have a reloading setup, but it sounds interesting even just from an academic standpoint)

TIA for the info!

Blessings,
    B

The large rifle primer was just a little bit larger than the hollow point cavity. I set the bullet on the edge of my shell holder and pressed it into the cavity with my rock chucker press. Then loaded it like 124 gn ball ammo. It shot and functioned well. I conducted tests firing into wood, phone books,water jugs and dug them out of the backstop. In all cases it out performed regular hollow points. The 90 gn hollow points by the way were nasty on their own. Fired into a milk jug full of water at 30 feet they exploded the jug but didn't go the whole way threw. I found what looked like a dime inside the jug. The round flattened completely....The cost is the same as any reloaded cartridge + an extra primer...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom