• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Seem like nice belts!

I stopped in at Stephen R. Jenkins Co. yesterday afternoon as I was heading home. Convenient, as it's only 5 minutes from my office if I get all red lights.

I went in, originally, because I thought I heard that they sell Wilderness belts.

Well, they don't.

They DO have 5.11 brand and some Bianchi nylon. 5.11 TDU belts to be specific.

The 5.11 nylon belts in stock are relatively flimsy and thin belts; not designed to hang a holster on. The Bianchi nylon stuff were either duty belts or the thinner nylon/velcro stuff designed to be worn under a duty belt.

So, on to the leather 5.11 stuff:

Pros: VERY stiff. Black and brown available. both with brass-colored buckles. Moderate price...$38-ish.

Cons: I can't find one to fit! :xmad: I tried on the L belt, first (36-38 waist sizes) That one's too small. I'd have been on the 2nd to last hole without a gun/holster IWB.

Then I tried on the XL belt (40-42 waist sizes). This sucker was WAY too big without a gun/holster. Might've done just fine WITH a gun/holster, though.

I didn't buy anything... next time I stop in there, I WILL bring my gun/holster and hopefully they'll let me try it that way.

The quest continues....

-J-

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've got a brown one. The polymer stiffener makes for a solid mounting platform.

My one complaint, however, is that the finish hasn't held up well at all. In one area there is a 1" long scratch that is bare leather. Luckily it hides under the excess belt.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I'm moving into the world of non-paddle holsters, and looking to upgrade my belt.....I trust 5.11 enough to order online, I think.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I would agree with Evan on the finish on the 5.11 leather belts. I've had a black one for probably about 3 years and the finish is my only complaint. I used mine hard for 2.5 years as daily detective wear, and it required a good coat of Lincoln wax and buffing every 2 months to keep it looking good (fill in all the scratches and give it a good luster.) I still use it occasionally.

As for the 5.11 brand nylon belts, the Operator and Trainer, I wholeheartedly recommend them to someone wanting to try the nylon route. I've had both and currently use a Trainer version (1.5 inch, no stiffener) nearly every time I go out of the house. I started out with the Operator version (1.75 inches, polymer stiffener) and REALLY liked it with a SERPA holster when I was doing mostly training and OC'ing with 5.11 pants and a polo shirt. When I went to detectives, I gave the Operator to a buddy who needed a good belt and got a Trainer so it would fit in smaller belt loops.

I've never tried a Wilderness, but I know their quality is good. Indy_guy, I'd recommend trying a 5.11 as a way to get your hands on a nylon belt locally and give it a whirl. You can always run it through the ringer, decide if you like it, keep it for S's & G's, or sell it on here.

You can get them at Steven R. Jenkins or at US Uniform and Supply at 900 N. Delaware downtown. As for Wilderness, I know that Elmore's down in Greenwood carries them in stock (but be willing to pay for it...)

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I've used 5.11 belts for duty at the FD and for personal use for several years. I don't have anything bad to say about them. The finish does wear, but they are $35. If I get 2 years out of a belt in that price range, I'm happy. YMMV

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Don't get me wrong! I'd have bought TWO 5.11 belts had I found a size conducive to me! (brown and black. Have to coordinate, you know).

I was just disappointed in not being able to find one that fit me.

I'm also glad that other opinions of the 5.11 belts differ from mine: ie, real world experience. But that one nylon belt I handled was THIN, light, and very very flexible. I don't know that the TDU belt is different from the others mentioned or not, but I'd not at all recommend the TDU as any kind of carry belt.

-J-

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I don't know that the TDU belt is different from the others mentioned or not, but I'd not at all recommend the TDU as any kind of carry belt.

The TDU belt is just a simple web-style belt that comes with their pants most times. It is NOTHING like their regular nylon carry belts. I use and like their riggers-type belt. :yesway:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    A quick comparison for the readers:

TDU belt

45-0080.jpg

Operator gun belt

511%20Tactical%20operator.jpg

Top Bottom