• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Cornbread

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I did a search and did not find any post on this. So here goes. Has anyone here ever thought of forming a group or club of INGO members to lease some hunting land. I know that a lot of of members has a place to hunt but some of us don't.
    So if enought of us get together to form a club,pay dues and so fourth. we may could do this. Any thoughts. Good,bad idea.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    i think it's a good idea.

After all the gas and time wasted this last two seasons, it'd probably be cheaper in the long run for me to do something like this.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I think its a great idea. Where I'm from in VA there were Hunting Clubs everywhere. Its kinda like what you stated. There was a large group of people that would obtain large plots of land and use members dues to pay the lease. There would usually be a lodge of some type, and hunts were usually done in a draw format. They would have stand numbers and then draw names and match them up with stands. There were usually rules that were stated, including giving a cetain percentage of your kill to the lodge for meals. I would join.

Cornbread

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I see there is some interest in this. I guess we need a way to get things going. Maybe a poll would work. So we could see how many would join. I am not sure how to start one so maybe someone higher up could.:rolleyes: Also maybe some of us could get together some week end and talk. I see most are from pretty close to indy.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Are you going to manage a lease for quality animals or shoot anything thats legal? What size property are you looking for? How many hunters? Turkey hunting? Liability insurance? Location? I think its best to find afew like minded individuals who want the same things out of a lease and go from there.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    long post but maybe helpful

Very difficult to manage and easy to organize. Here is my recent personal experience with a "hunting club". Read on if interested perhaps can figure out what these guys have done wrong or right....

Just got back last week from a 5 day trip in Alabama wherein a group of biologists that work for various states and universities manage a 1,000 acre privately held farm. There are approx 6 guys in on this. (give or take exceptions and guests)

They have formed a hunting collaborative which is great in principle and difficult in practice.

The week before my brother in law and I arrived they took 6 bucks off the property. When we arrived we were advised that we could only shoot does. As the group collectively agreed that proper management would require passing on all further bucks for the season. Only a couple does had been taken up to this point.

Now, this trip was to be for my recruitment into the club. Looking to bring in a couple new guys to bring down individual costs.

I understand the management principles particularly when coming from state wildlife biologists and university professors with doctorates in biology and wildlife diversity. However, my brother in law paid in over 800 bucks the previous year for greenfield plantings and corn and trail cams. For them to tell me only shoot mature does made sense. To tell him when four other guys just cleaned up on the bucks really peeved me.

In addition, one of the guys brought his girlfriend with him the previous week and she took two bucks! She had not paid in but this guy is a really nice guy and had put a tremenous amount of sweat equity over the course of the year with plantings and feedings and trail cams. She however did not.

Plus, I was unaware that there had been people hunting the property heavily for the week before we arrived. Had I known I likely would have passed.

The also use some of the money to throw wheat for dove hunts. Some dove hunt, some don't.

Seems to me there would need to be strict policies as to who can and who can't do what. Also, regarding guests.

I sprung for the food and beer which was about 350 bucks. Had to pass on a little 6 pointer. (Alabama 6 pointers are not Indiana 6 pointers) due to the management rules agreed upon by members.

Did bring home a little doe but for a 10 hour drive and a doe I will just invest more time on land up here at home.

The above may give some insight and ideas to those seeking to form a "hunting club" and lease land. Thanks

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    i think it's a good idea.

After all the gas and time wasted this last two seasons, it'd probably be cheaper in the long run for me to do something like this.

How would it be any different than just hunting public land? Except for paying for it of course.

Cornbread

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Are you going to manage a lease for quality animals or shoot anything thats legal? What size property are you looking for? How many hunters? Turkey hunting? Liability insurance? Location? I think its best to find afew like minded individuals who want the same things out of a lease and go from there.
    These are the things that would have to be worked out. We would first have to see how many hunters would like to join, then set down with all and work out what we wanted to do.

Cornbread

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Indianapolis

Very difficult to manage and easy to organize. Here is my recent personal experience with a "hunting club". Read on if interested perhaps can figure out what these guys have done wrong or right....

Just got back last week from a 5 day trip in Alabama wherein a group of biologists that work for various states and universities manage a 1,000 acre privately held farm. There are approx 6 guys in on this. (give or take exceptions and guests)

They have formed a hunting collaborative which is great in principle and difficult in practice.

The week before my brother in law and I arrived they took 6 bucks off the property. When we arrived we were advised that we could only shoot does. As the group collectively agreed that proper management would require passing on all further bucks for the season. Only a couple does had been taken up to this point.

Now, this trip was to be for my recruitment into the club. Looking to bring in a couple new guys to bring down individual costs.

I understand the management principles particularly when coming from state wildlife biologists and university professors with doctorates in biology and wildlife diversity. However, my brother in law paid in over 800 bucks the previous year for greenfield plantings and corn and trail cams. For them to tell me only shoot mature does made sense. To tell him when four other guys just cleaned up on the bucks really peeved me.

In addition, one of the guys brought his girlfriend with him the previous week and she took two bucks! She had not paid in but this guy is a really nice guy and had put a tremenous amount of sweat equity over the course of the year with plantings and feedings and trail cams. She however did not.

Plus, I was unaware that there had been people hunting the property heavily for the week before we arrived. Had I known I likely would have passed.

The also use some of the money to throw wheat for dove hunts. Some dove hunt, some don't.

Seems to me there would need to be strict policies as to who can and who can't do what. Also, regarding guests.

I sprung for the food and beer which was about 350 bucks. Had to pass on a little 6 pointer. (Alabama 6 pointers are not Indiana 6 pointers) due to the management rules agreed upon by members.

Did bring home a little doe but for a 10 hour drive and a doe I will just invest more time on land up here at home.

The above may give some insight and ideas to those seeking to form a "hunting club" and lease land. Thanks
    Thanks this was very helpful. This shows some of the problems that would face us. But I am sure we could come to a understanding for all. But with only 5 or 6 hunters would it still be worth it. This is why I made the post. To see what everyone was thinking and would there be any interest.

Cornbread

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you have any thoughts or idels on this send them to me at drh0237@gmail.com. I will try to put them all together and we can see what people want. Like how much would you be willing to pay per year, who could hunt, how much land, go for big deer or frezzer food. We may even have a lawyer member that could help. I hope you get what I am asking . If this post is wrong just remove. I checked but didn't see any thing.

Last edited:

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Don't forget sleeping arrangements. We all shared a double wide trailer they placed on the property but in Indiana many would choose to commute to hunt the land since nothing is that far away. Need some time restraints on when folks can come in and out of their stands.

Also- I think a sign in sign out sheet with data entry is invaluable. Lets others know where the deer are and who has been hunting what sectors.
    We had a big blown up aerial map of the property with it drown off into sectors wherein guys would choose to hunt a specific area. Let us know where everyone was throughout the day.

Top Bottom