• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    Since becoming a new gun owner. I was curious about my apartment's rules on firearms. Outside of my apartment, to the mailbox or car I've been carrying concealed. Always making sure it's not exposed. Though sometimes outside of my home, my shirt rides up and shows my firearm and I don't worry about it too much. However I do worry about it here at my place of residence. Which got me wanting to look in the lease agreement. Here is the only thing I found about firearms...

20. PROHIBITED CONDUCT. "...possessing a weapon prohibited state law; discharging a firearm in the apartment community; displaying or possessing a gun, knife, or other weapon in the common area in a way that may alarm others;..."

It seems I should conceal and not show my firearm as much as possible. Guns do alarm others.
    So what would you do?

Thanks, Gulley

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    But seriously, keep it concealed, and by the way that document is worded, you should be fine. It's not a prohibited weapon like, god save us, a throwing star - and if concealed you are not displaying it.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    "It seems I should conceal and not show my firearm as much as possible. Guns do alarm others."

This is sound advice no matter where you are. There is no need for anyone to open carry at any time, anywhere.

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.

I wish I could move. But I'm a broke college student staying with one of my parents and I don't pay rent. So I'd rather not. Though I will be sure to mark out those words or similar words when signing a lease agreement or stay away for apartments with similar rules.

But seriously, keep it concealed, and by the way that document is worded, you should be fine. It's not a prohibited weapon like, god save us, a throwing star - and if concealed you are not displaying it.

Yep, out of sight and out of mind. I'm just worried, sometimes my shirt rides up and gets caught. Resulting in my firearm exposed. This happens getting out of the car, running up or down the stairs, etc. I usually don't care too much outside of my residence, though I do here.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    If you're just printing or showing a little, you could argue that you had no intention to alarm anyone, and you definitely wouldn't be in violation of state law. Be polite and apologetic; unless you've got hold of a rabid anti, that should go a long way. If you have, there's no hope of talking to them. Be careful and it shouldn't come up, but I've been spotted by a cop before, no problem.

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    If you're just printing or showing a little, you could argue that you had no intention to alarm anyone, and you definitely wouldn't be in violation of state law. Be polite and apologetic; unless you've got hold of a rabid anti, that should go a long way. If you have, there's no hope of talking to them. Be careful and it shouldn't come up, but I've been spotted by a cop before, no problem.

Finally a quality post! The others must have not realized their past their 50 posts yet...

But in all seriousness. Concealing is ideal, for me IMO. Just what you said, sometimes we print or show a little. It happens. Thank you wrench. I didn't need anyone's smart remarks. Just what your opinion was and how you interpret the lease agreement.

Last edited:

gundoggermax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    I was in a similar situation a few years ago. To me I figured if there became a time when I needed to use a weapon I didnt care if I got kicked out of the complex or not.

As far as alarming others that could get interesting. It only takes that one lady to really make your life a pain

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    I was in a similar situation a few years ago. To me I figured if there became a time when I needed to use a weapon I didnt care if I got kicked out of the complex or not.

As far as alarming others that could get interesting. It only takes that one lady to really make your life a pain

Yeah, I feel like I live in a retirement home. I'd say, at least 50% of the people here in my apartment building are senior citizens. When I was reading the lease agreement, my mother said something similar. You wouldn't want an old lady to mention that she saw you with a gun.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    "...There is no need for anyone to open carry at any time, anywhere.

There is no need for anyone to bash open carry at any time, anywhere.

Some folks just can't seem to help themselves. :rolleyes:

That's OK, I've seen plenty of them fail miserably when trying to justify their reasons for doing so. It's like they are here for my amusement. :):

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    "It seems I should conceal and not show my firearm as much as possible. Guns do alarm others."

This is sound advice no matter where you are. There is no need for anyone to open carry at any time, anywhere.

Does this include my own property , while deer hunting? I mean, I kind of get your point, it might frighten the deer if they see the 41 mag on my hip, just before I lung shoot them. :dunno:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sounds like the apartment complex prefers concealed carry in the common areas. So, cover up there and OC with the rest of us when out and about.

Then find a new apartment. ;)

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

A lot of stuff alarms people. Does this mean we should ban everything that alarms someone? So dogs, cats, cars, birds, planes, knives, etc should be banned? Open carry doesn't bother people, guns do. Does this mean we should just ban guns? Apparently there's no place for them.

watkins1988

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Indy
    my lease at my apartment says the exact same thing, word for word. ive carried many guns to/from my car. and ive open carried, and i havent had any problems. but it would take one person like you said i suppose. if they have a problem with me doing what i have a legal right to do, then i guess i can go somewhere else. this is my home, and i wont change my actions so someone will "feel more comfortable" while im at my home. :twocents:

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Since becoming a new gun owner. I was curious about my apartment's rules on firearms. Outside of my apartment, to the mailbox or car I've been carrying concealed. Always making sure it's not exposed. Though sometimes outside of my home, my shirt rides up and shows my firearm and I don't worry about it too much. However I do worry about it here at my place of residence. Which got me wanting to look in the lease agreement. Here is the only thing I found about firearms...

20. PROHIBITED CONDUCT. "...possessing a weapon prohibited state law; discharging a firearm in the apartment community; displaying or possessing a gun, knife, or other weapon in the common area in a way that may alarm others;..."

It seems I should conceal and not show my firearm as much as possible. Guns do alarm others.
    So what would you do?

Thanks, Gulley

Personally, I find that this rule is incredibly vague and open to individual interpretation due to these words. I would not refrain from OC'ing as it is your right. As long as the weapon does not leave its holster then you are doing nothing in a "way" that would alarm anyone. Granted, that would only apply to those who think with logic, but if nothing else because of the wording they cannot easily take action against you and have much of a legal "leg" to stand on as long as you aren't conducting yourself in a threatening manner and it stays in the holster. I would personally OC, as is my right to do so, and any inquiry that comes I gladly handle as an opportunity to educate people on their rights and responsible gun ownership. Some are crazy anti's but more often than not even them I am able to "get through to" to some extent and they at least walk away smiling and much more comfortable with me carrying even if they don't agree with it. I personally live in an Apartment as well. I don't even know if they have a similar clause but my wife and I both OC everywhere and not had a problem. Again, I don't mean to be an "antagonist" but if someone's "rule" is in a sense "stripping" me of my rights, than I'm not afraid to test the waters, and take a chance to educate people as long as I abide by laws that is.

Top Bottom