• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mada_01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    At this point, I have very limited experience with rifles and no experience with handguns, but would like to invest in a pistol for home/personal protection. My wife is pretty uncomfortable with firearms of any type, simply due to lack of experience.

Do you think it would be better for us to pay for a beginners class to learn the basics, or just go to the range with some friends and learn from them?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Welcome to:ingo:. You will find a lot of information from this board. I would recommend a class. It's geared for beginners, and the instructors, ( there are a lot of qualified instructors who are members of this forum), have years of experience in properly teaching the fundamentals of shooting.

One thing about the classes is that as a student, you will have the chance to fire different handguns, revolvers and semi automatics. If you are not familiar with handguns, this is a great way to see what you like.
    Best wishes. :)

Last edited:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    At this point, I have very limited experience with rifles and no experience with handguns, but would like to invest in a pistol for home/personal protection. My wife is pretty uncomfortable with firearms of any type, simply due to lack of experience.

Do you think it would be better for us to pay for a beginners class to learn the basics, or just go to the range with some friends and learn from them?
    DO both so long as your friends have a reasonable understanding of firearms. Keep reading here on INGO, there is tons of info about safe handling and what not to do.:ingo:

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Welcome to INGO! :ingo:
    My wife and I were in that same boat a few years ago, so we can understand your situation. What we did was both.
    What we found out was that getting the professional training was the best thing for valid information, and developing proper safety habits.
    But on the other hand, having a few knowledgible friends didn't hurt, and gave us some much needed confidence.
    Also, INGO is absolutely full of good info and good people.
    Good luck.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Training section is great, before coming here I was having a HORRIBLE time finding classes. I know of two basic pistol classes 7/23 and 8/6 that are open right now. I would jump on one right now. Hubby and I are going to both IF we can swing the sitter.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I was raised around shot guns and rifles but not hand guns. I would like to get one but I am not sure what I like. These classes sound like a great idea. How do we found out where, and when they take place, and how much they cost?:dunno:
    Check this section here, gotta lot of good options and people willing to help with any questions Tactics and Training - INGunOwners

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    I am still a newbie as well. I took the beginner's handgun class first and it
    was excellent at helping me feel comfortable. I think you need a
    professional to walk you through things the first time.

I bought a pistol when the class was over, and now I practice at the
    range weekly. I am always on the lookout for more training too. Once
    you realize how involved (and fun) having a gun really is, you'll want to
    keep educating yourself.

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles

Look for classes from ACT. The classes are well worth the money. Their basic pistol class is $45 and is money well spent. They are a great group of guys and I've taken 3, going on 4, classes with them. They are a site sponsor as well.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    My wife were in the same boat as you a few months ago and we took the Basic Pistol course. Now we have a few hanguns, belong to a range and fired a few thousand rounds.

Also when you start looking at buying a hangun renting them at Pop guns or Don's guns is not a bad way to go. Friends with a variety are even better.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Welcome to INGO!! TFT has a Basic Pistol course scheduled for July 2 at Eagle Creek Pistol Range, and we'd love to see you in a course. Check out www.tactical-firearms.com for details.

Either way, I totally agree with the suggestions above. You should take some training, and visit a range to practice. (ECPR is a great place for that.) ;)

Good luck!

Guy

Felix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Porter County
    I took a NRA first steps course with my wife. I thought it would be fun to do. She wanted me to teach her to shoot and I could have done it. I have been around guns my whole life i have had no "formal training", but I was taught by Dad (special forces, green baret) and grandma (born and raised in the hills of tennessee) at an early age. I am glad i did take the course it was nice to be in the class room setting. I learned some but she is now CONFIDENT with her pistol. she can load, shoot, and clean her gun. turns out she is a pretty good shot. so i wolud highly recommend a course.

atm-inc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Both. As long as they both are quality. ;)

A class is a structured place where they likely follow a progression of teaching (crawl first, then walk, then run) and make sure all of the important bases are covered from the 4 rules of gun safety to actually shooting to maintenance.

Friends next will let you get a little more relaxed and comfortable with things. You can work on the skills learned in class without any perceived pressure.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    DO both so long as your friends have a reasonable understanding of firearms. Keep reading here on INGO, there is tons of info about safe handling and what not to do.:ingo:
    :+1: and good for you for taking responsibility for getting properly trained! I see too many people at the ranges that are unsafe with their weapons and risk hurting someone.

Top Bottom